Re: I hate to say it...

Post by March » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Well said, Ray!

TimLa
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by TimLa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:34 pm

I've PM'd Heath (and emailed, since it looks like my PM didn't get sent - it still sits in the outbox, and not in sent. Although it says sent at 9:41 AM this morning....

Ray put it well. It's doubtful that this site will go away. Facebook isn't ever going to replace it.

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 pm

TimLa wrote:I've PM'd Heath (and emailed, since it looks like my PM didn't get sent - it still sits in the outbox, and not in sent. Although it says sent at 9:41 AM this morning....

Ray put it well. It's doubtful that this site will go away. Facebook isn't ever going to replace it.
The fact that your PM to Heath is still in the outbox means that he hasn't read it yet, not that it wasn't sent. When he opens it to read, it will change to your sent box. I'm sure that he will get to it.

~Rich

Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 am

Folks,

Since purchasing my :macm: several years ago, I have always found this site to be a wealth of great information, ideas, humor, etc. It's a good group of people. I don't have the skill set you need to manage this thing, but just want to affirm that it is a very valuable asset--well beyond the scope of the very good FB groups out there. Maybe we need to require subscription and pay somebody to run it? I would gladly pay for this asset.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Boat, you’re hijacking the thread. This thread is supposed to be about the future of the site and how to ensure it.

I’ve moved your topic to a separate thread.

New thread is here: Boat's Planned Mods

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm

What about a simplified site that's easier to take care of? Or running some ads on this one to raise money.
From west marine or other boat related business.

Ix

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Ads used to run on this one. I'd imagine some sponsors would still like to advertise here and that small amount of revenue, combined with the contributions many of you give each year, should be enough to cover expenses.

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:17 am

I'm assaulted by ads everywhere else I go. Might as well be here, one of the few site I actually care about :D

Ix

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:51 pm

There is nothing on the Internet anywhere near as useful as this forum.
Yea yea, facebook groups are out there, but that's a different purpose and cannot come close to the wealth of information and format of this site.
Also, I belong to many forums online and almost none are as well moderated as this one. It's a treasure for Mac owners.

So this site not going anywhere if we can help it. Heath just seems to be overwhelmed and has indicated that he knows it.

I operated a phbBBS board years ago and fully appreciate Heath for getting this site back up when it crashed. There are MANY mySQL databases linked together with complex PHP code and I applaud him for what it took to restore this.
The issue is easy to fix. It needs people with tech skills. I see people have stepped up and offered. I offered mine. I've been working in IT for over 35 years. This board is not hard to maintain for someone with the time and energy to do it. Moderating is the hardest part.

So, hopefully, Heath will read his PMs and collaborate with those of us willing to help. The traffic this site generates should easily self sustain itself with banner ads.

We can do this. Just calm down and let Heath collect his resources and figure it out.

--Russ

Bobglas
Engineer

Post by Bobglas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Can someone remind me on how to send in some money to help?

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Bob,

Look at the top of this page and find "Resources". Scroll down the menu and click on "Support this Website".

Ray

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 pm

We usually give a little to this site every Christmas but forgot this past Christmas. We love this place and have learned so much here. Also met many people here who have become friends. A big Thank You for this great site it is well worth the money.
Richard and Jill

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:33 pm

:cry: ... :cry: ...

Are Mom & Dad splitting up :? :cry: :cry:

:| ...

I’m In on ANYTHING that needs to be dun to keep this site going! Sponsors, subscription- Anything :!:...
Like da’ man say’d :|... :cry:

FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:04 pm

I just made a donation, hopefully the right person receives it. This site is too valuable to end and helps with the resell value of out boats too.

Long live the Macs and this site.