Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Slip usage?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Slip usage?

Postby Herschel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm

NiceAft wrote:Interesting. This is an excerpt from the site Russ mentioned.
“For mildew, some sailmakers advise simple household bleach, a 5.25-percent solution of sodium hypochlorite. We'd use a highly diluted blend first. Be sure to rinse thoroughly. We had mixed results with various mildew removers on sails in our 2009 test of mildew removers.”

Mildew is a fairly hard stain to remove. Fecal matter that has been sitting for awhile might be just as hard to remove. It could drive you batty :o (Could not resist) This is why I also mentioned hydrogen peroxide. It works on blood. If you watch any crime drama’s, you know how tough blood is :)

Ray

Will take my cleaners, bleach, peroxide and, hopefully, my patience and presistence to the boat this Saturday and give them a shot. Thanks. :)
Herschel
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby NiceAft » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Please,please, please, don’t get frustrated and mix them all together :o :D

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Highlander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 pm

NiceAft wrote:Please,please, please, don’t get frustrated and mix them all together :o :D

Ray

Ray I think u just blew him away Ka Boom , :o

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Duquette5 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:26 am

NiceAft wrote:Please,please, please, don’t get frustrated and mix them all together :o :D

Ray

Ray you just made me blow coffee outta my nose!
Duquette5
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Postby Herschel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 pm

Duquette5 wrote:

Ray

Ray you just made me blow coffee outta my nose!

Guys, you underestimate me smarts. I been on the forum so long I couldn't possibly do anything really dumb. :P In fact, it feels like I have been on here "All me bloomin’ life! Pretty sure me mother was a mermaid, me father was King Neptune. and I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Seaweed and barnacles still are me clothes. Every tooth in me head is a marlinspike; the hair on me head is hemp. Every bone in me body is a spar, and when I spits, I spits tar! I’se hard, I is, I am, I are...and MacGregor smart! :D I'll let you know what I brew up tomorrow! :o
Herschel
Captain

Postby Herschel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Turns out that Oxi-clean with its enzymes for organic stains worked miracles and got the bat poop stains out really well. We took the mainsail off the boat to take it home to do a more thorough job and do it more comfortably. Turned out that despite my efforts to plug up access to the sail (cover plus line wound around) the little bugger got back in the sail. As we pulled it off the boom, out it dropped. :x Landed on the cockpit deck and pooped! :x :x :x Hopefully, without the sail there at all for a wek or two, it will find different "real estate" for its little home. :? Yep, I was about to "spits some tar", but kept my cool! :)
Herschel
Captain

Postby Capt Smitty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:48 am

Three words. Fabric Softener Sheets.
I keep my :macx: in my driveway, cracked open to improve air circulation. This Fall/Winter it's been stored mast up with boom, sail, & cover in place, as I'm working on it. I have problems with wasps, ants, spiders, Bumble Bees, rodents, and bats. I stuff a sheet in any opening, and several thruout the cover on the sail. I think it makes my boat smell nice, critters don't!
I put sheets in cracks & crevices in my 120 Y.O. house, keeps the rodents out! Put a couple around engine in my car to stop rodents from chewing wires! They have to be changed, but last for many months.
Capt Smitty
Deckhand

Postby NiceAft » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:02 am

Capt Smitty wrote:Three words. Fabric Softener Sheets.
I keep my :macx: in my driveway, cracked open to improve air circulation. This Fall/Winter it's been stored mast up with boom, sail, & cover in place, as I'm working on it. I have problems with wasps, ants, spiders, Bumble Bees, rodents, and bats. I stuff a sheet in any opening, and several thruout the cover on the sail. I think it makes my boat smell nice, critters don't!
I put sheets in cracks & crevices in my 120 Y.O. house, keeps the rodents out! Put a couple around engine in my car to stop rodents from chewing wires! They have to be changed, but last for many months.

Interesting :!:

Has anyone else done this? :?:

If so, were your results similar :!:

Ray
Last edited by NiceAft on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby Herschel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Capt Smitty wrote:Three words. Fabric Softener Sheets.

Will definitely give that a try. Inexpensive and easy to do! Thanks. :)
Herschel
Captain

Postby Nauti Nell » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 am

We really enjoyed having the slip for a couple of years. We tried the dry dock way but after a couple of times launching like that we went ahead an took the plunge and rented a slip. It has been in the back yard for modifications that are taking way too long due to life stuff for the last 7 months. The other week wife and I were talking about how nice it was to just drive to the lake and just spend the night if we wanted to. Hoping to have mods done in the next couple of months and put back in the lake for spring.
Regarding pesky partiers. I have a flexible schedule and she has mid week days off. Basically we have the marina (and lake) to ourselves. 1500 slips. Might see a dozen people. When on the lake if we see 20 boats its a busy day. 500 plus miles of shoreline. I won't go to the lake on weekends unless winter.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Previous

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion