Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

markkuti
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oulu, FInland

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by markkuti » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 am

Well done... were you able to find a replacement spring from somewhere?
I am working on it. Not sure is the spring is causing the issue or some other parts of the mechanism. In addition I have some other problems with the connection to the drive. It is either the cable or something on the electronics. Anyway not very good weather for sailing as it has been -20C for few weeks now and icebreakers are busy keeping the routes open :)

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Neo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:33 pm

markkuti wrote:
Well done... were you able to find a replacement spring from somewhere?
I am working on it. Not sure is the spring is causing the issue or some other parts of the mechanism. In addition I have some other problems with the connection to the drive. It is either the cable or something on the electronics.
Ok so here's the clincher.... Knowing now how it's constructed inside would you recommend this unit to others?

markkuti
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oulu, FInland

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by markkuti » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 am

Ok so here's the clincher.... Knowing now how it's constructed inside would you recommend this unit to others?
Grass is greener on the other side of the fence. So I could try the Wheelpilot instead of the Sportpilot. But, could first like to see that in action if it is any quieter and if it works better than the Sportpilot. Looking to the Raymarine website I see only the Wheelpilot still there, not the Sportpilot at all. Maybe it is not manufactured anymore.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Neo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm

Quick update....
I went for the X-5 Sportpilot kit and it arrived in perfect condition. Never fitted and still wrapped in plastic in the Raymarine Box.
I figured it the easiest solution to fit and if it doesn't work well (for some reason) I can alway but a Wheelpilot and attach that to my controller.

I will soon have the job of fitting it to my Mac. So for anyone that's fitted a Raymarine Autohelm... Where did you fit your controller and Fluxgate Compass?

Hi Gazmn, just wondering if you saw my message?


Many thanks.
Neo

Duquette5
Deckhand
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 19
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Duquette5 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:58 pm

I have to admit - I read the topic wrong and assumed this was about the BMW X5... I tow my 19 with a X3 and have been looking for other tow beastie options.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Neo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Audi Q5 or Q7 ... :P :D

Baha
First Officer
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: UK

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Baha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 am

Neo wrote:Quick update....
I went for the X-5 Sportpilot kit and it arrived in perfect condition. Never fitted and still wrapped in plastic in the Raymarine Box.
I figured it the easiest solution to fit and if it doesn't work well (for some reason) I can alway but a Wheelpilot and attach that to my controller.

I will soon have the job of fitting it to my Mac. So for anyone that's fitted a Raymarine Autohelm... Where did you fit your controller and Fluxgate Compass?

Hi Gazmn, just wondering if you saw my message?


Many thanks.
Neo
Fluxgate is just abaft the heads door, right against the floor. Controller is mounted on the roof above the aft berth, starboard of the hatch.

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Neo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:44 pm

Baha wrote:Fluxgate is just abaft the heads door, right against the floor.
Thanks Baha, but just a tad too SeaTalk for me :D
So your Fluxgate is on the roof of the Toilet compartment, just in front of the Daggerboard tunnel ... Is that correct?

warfin
Deckhand
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 3:02 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by warfin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Of general interest but on topic, I am very happy with my Raymarine EV100. It suits the hydraulic drive and the motor sound is reassuring.

Baha
First Officer
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: UK

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Baha » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 am

Neo wrote:
Baha wrote:Fluxgate is just abaft the heads door, right against the floor.
Thanks Baha, but just a tad too SeaTalk for me :D
So your Fluxgate is on the roof of the Toilet compartment, just in front of the Daggerboard tunnel ... Is that correct?
Near the floor under the mirrored bulkhead (forward dinette seat)

User avatar
Neo
Captain
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by Neo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Baha wrote:Near the floor under the mirrored bulkhead (forward dinette seat)
Ok I get it now ... many thanks. :)

MacAxel1
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 2:37 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Post by MacAxel1 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm

markkuti wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 am
Well done... were you able to find a replacement spring from somewhere?
I am working on it. Not sure is the spring is causing the issue or some other parts of the mechanism. In addition I have some other problems with the connection to the drive. It is either the cable or something on the electronics. Anyway not very good weather for sailing as it has been -20C for few weeks now and icebreakers are busy keeping the routes open :)
I do not know if this is still of interest, but anyway...

I had the same issue and I think it's not the spring that is too small, but the cylinder in the middle seems to be too large. I could imagine it's the plastic cylinder in the middle that expanded a bit maybe taking on some of the grease.

I repaired it by sanding down the plastic cylinder in the middle of the spring by 0.1 mm. Need to be careful here, because if you sand down too much it will slipp. At least on the trailer it is much better now.

Axel

Post Reply