Page 2 of 3

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 am
by markkuti
Well done... were you able to find a replacement spring from somewhere?
I am working on it. Not sure is the spring is causing the issue or some other parts of the mechanism. In addition I have some other problems with the connection to the drive. It is either the cable or something on the electronics. Anyway not very good weather for sailing as it has been -20C for few weeks now and icebreakers are busy keeping the routes open :)

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:33 pm
by Neo
markkuti wrote:
Well done... were you able to find a replacement spring from somewhere?
I am working on it. Not sure is the spring is causing the issue or some other parts of the mechanism. In addition I have some other problems with the connection to the drive. It is either the cable or something on the electronics.
Ok so here's the clincher.... Knowing now how it's constructed inside would you recommend this unit to others?

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 am
by markkuti
Ok so here's the clincher.... Knowing now how it's constructed inside would you recommend this unit to others?
Grass is greener on the other side of the fence. So I could try the Wheelpilot instead of the Sportpilot. But, could first like to see that in action if it is any quieter and if it works better than the Sportpilot. Looking to the Raymarine website I see only the Wheelpilot still there, not the Sportpilot at all. Maybe it is not manufactured anymore.

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm
by Neo
Quick update....
I went for the X-5 Sportpilot kit and it arrived in perfect condition. Never fitted and still wrapped in plastic in the Raymarine Box.
I figured it the easiest solution to fit and if it doesn't work well (for some reason) I can alway but a Wheelpilot and attach that to my controller.

I will soon have the job of fitting it to my Mac. So for anyone that's fitted a Raymarine Autohelm... Where did you fit your controller and Fluxgate Compass?

Hi Gazmn, just wondering if you saw my message?


Many thanks.
Neo

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:58 pm
by Duquette5
I have to admit - I read the topic wrong and assumed this was about the BMW X5... I tow my 19 with a X3 and have been looking for other tow beastie options.

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:38 pm
by Neo
Audi Q5 or Q7 ... :P :D

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 am
by Baha
Neo wrote:Quick update....
I went for the X-5 Sportpilot kit and it arrived in perfect condition. Never fitted and still wrapped in plastic in the Raymarine Box.
I figured it the easiest solution to fit and if it doesn't work well (for some reason) I can alway but a Wheelpilot and attach that to my controller.

I will soon have the job of fitting it to my Mac. So for anyone that's fitted a Raymarine Autohelm... Where did you fit your controller and Fluxgate Compass?

Hi Gazmn, just wondering if you saw my message?


Many thanks.
Neo
Fluxgate is just abaft the heads door, right against the floor. Controller is mounted on the roof above the aft berth, starboard of the hatch.

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:44 pm
by Neo
Baha wrote:Fluxgate is just abaft the heads door, right against the floor.
Thanks Baha, but just a tad too SeaTalk for me :D
So your Fluxgate is on the roof of the Toilet compartment, just in front of the Daggerboard tunnel ... Is that correct?

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 pm
by warfin
Of general interest but on topic, I am very happy with my Raymarine EV100. It suits the hydraulic drive and the motor sound is reassuring.

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 am
by Baha
Neo wrote:
Baha wrote:Fluxgate is just abaft the heads door, right against the floor.
Thanks Baha, but just a tad too SeaTalk for me :D
So your Fluxgate is on the roof of the Toilet compartment, just in front of the Daggerboard tunnel ... Is that correct?
Near the floor under the mirrored bulkhead (forward dinette seat)

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:19 pm
by Neo
Baha wrote:Near the floor under the mirrored bulkhead (forward dinette seat)
Ok I get it now ... many thanks. :)

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm
by MacAxel1
markkuti wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 am
Well done... were you able to find a replacement spring from somewhere?
I am working on it. Not sure is the spring is causing the issue or some other parts of the mechanism. In addition I have some other problems with the connection to the drive. It is either the cable or something on the electronics. Anyway not very good weather for sailing as it has been -20C for few weeks now and icebreakers are busy keeping the routes open :)
I do not know if this is still of interest, but anyway...

I had the same issue and I think it's not the spring that is too small, but the cylinder in the middle seems to be too large. I could imagine it's the plastic cylinder in the middle that expanded a bit maybe taking on some of the grease.

I repaired it by sanding down the plastic cylinder in the middle of the spring by 0.1 mm. Need to be careful here, because if you sand down too much it will slipp. At least on the trailer it is much better now.

Axel

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:15 pm
by Neo
I'm finally getting around to fitting my Sportsdrive but I've encountered a potential problem.
The manual instructs me to turn the wheel fully clockwise and mount the the motor unit housing Vertical on the steering shaft. But the with the housing in that position the two shear Key slots (on drive unit and steering shaft) where not aligned. One was at 4 O'clock and the other was at 7 O'clock. So I 12V pulse powered the drive unit until the two slots were aligned. ... But now I'm concerned I've done the wrong thing. Because if the drive unit has rotation end-stops they won't be the same as the end stops on my steering box.
I can't find any information on the web that helps me so just wondering if Markkuti, MacAxel1 or anyone could enlighten me?

All the best.
Neo

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 am
by MacAxel1
Hi Neo,

the drive doesn't have any mechanical end-stops, so you should be fine. I think the main reason to align the key slots would be to have the steering wheel straight.

But how did you change the alignment, that should be mechanically fix unless you open the drive unit ?

Axel

Re: Sportdrive X-5 ... Ok or not for a Mac?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm
by Neo
Thanks Axel,

Electrically the Drive unit is a simple 2 wire device. Grab a 12v battery. Connect Red to positive and black to negative and the shaft coupler rotates one way connect black to positive and red to negative and it rotates the other way. So all I did is tap the wires on the battery terminals to rotes the shaft coupler around 90 degrees.
So I'm now assuming the controller senses the current when my steering box hits its end-stops... Which make sense :)

All the best.
Neo