Prop ding

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Prop ding

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Took the boat out under power to run her at speed for a few minutes and hit the prop on something. Took a nice ding out of it. I’ll use it as a spare and look for a new one. Since I hardly ever use the boat under full power, can someone recommend a low and midrange option for the etec 60? My current use at 5knot cruising speed seems to want to foul the plugs. What’s on there now is the one from the boats manufacturers.
Best place to buy? Thanks
Ix

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Prop ding

Post by NiceAft » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm

I may be not understanding correctly what you posted. If I have, just ignore this posting. :D

I have dinged and chunked out props in the past, but was always able to have them repaired by well referred shops. It's less expensive than a new prop. If you don"t have a spare, then by all means, purchase a new one and use the repaired one as a spare.

Ray

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Ok I’ll look around for a repair place. But I still need a spare before I go anywhere. Maybe one better suited to low speed use.
Ix

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Ya gotta watch dat Keys skinny water 8)

The aluminum Hydrus line is what you need for Evinrude, big eared / low pitch. You might even find an old OMC just get your spline # right :wink:

& you gotta run your E-tec at high rpms to burn off the carbon buildup. Say a 10 min minimum/ month. Otherwise, it’s like a genteel old lady taking her Corvette out only for long slow Sunday drives :P

While I don’t remember the name, there’s a good authorized Evinrude mech in K Largo not too far after Mr C’s Ice cream & before IslaM... in center lane, like Mr C’s, Southern bound.

BtB: I have a bunch of 13 spline props to get rid of from my E-tec 90. PM me if interested. I might even have SS...

ris
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by ris » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 am

The correct prop for the motor is one that will be within 300 rpm of the manufacturers top end at WOT. That is 300 rpm lower than the top rpm never higher then top rpm. When I ran the prop calculator at the Honda website for our Honda bfp 60 with a 3500 lb boat it gave us a 14 X 10 prop. Closest Solas prop for a honda was 14 X 9. The Honda bfp 60 is supposed to top end between 5000 and 6000 rpm. We loaded the boat and could only get about 5000 rpm which was 13 mph at WOT with the 14 X 9. Then had the prop re-pitched to a 14 X 7. With a loaded boat we got 5700 rpm and 16.5 mph.
I might be slightly off in the rpm above but the mph I remember clearly. Also this is a boat loaded for a 9 month trip. Including 30 gal water, 4 sixty two pound batteries, fridge and clothes ect. We used garmin gps for speed and honda multi gauge for rpm and fuel usage. We tried a 13 X 13 prop but could only get 4500 rpm at WOT and do not remember speed. At 2500 rpm the 13 X 13 was 8 mph and used about .7 gph of fuel. The 14 X 7 at 2500 was about 7.5 mph and uses about .7 gph. The 14 X 7 prop at 3/4 throttle, around 5000 rpm was 14.6 mph with a fuel usage of 3.1 gph. I said all that to say that if you have the correct prop which runs within 300 rpm of your top rpm range for the motor it will run great at slow cruise also. When doing these tests you need the weight in the boat that you will usually carry to get the correct prop. If you run your boat lighter just watch the rpm's. One last comment On E-techs. Where we bought our motor they sell E-tech, honda, and yamaha. When we bought our motor they told us if we were going to run 3/4 throttle most of the time the E-tech was a good motor. But we told them we were going to go 7 or 8 mph most of the time so they told us to go with the Honda or Yamaha. On aluminum props they can go up or down 2 degrees of pitch. On a stainless props only 1 degree of pitch. This is our experience your mileage may vary.