cutting a vent hole in the fuel locker

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
133bhp
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

cutting a vent hole in the fuel locker

Post by 133bhp »

I want to drill a hole/install a vent in port and starboard fuel lockers on the forward bulkhead end. Anyone know how much foam/distance till you reach the interior bulkhead? (X boat)
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Re: cutting a vent hole in the fuel locker

Post by Gazmn »

Huh :? ?

The lockers are already open to the outside. I’m not understanding & pics may help.

Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Are you interested in venting the cabin through the gas lockers to improve circulation of air in the cabin? If so, I would worry that gas fumes would infiltrate the cabin as much as it would ventilate the cabin. Since I am currently battling a bat in my sails who also slips into my gas locker to hunker down behind the tanks, I would also fear varmints getting into the boat through such a vent unless it was one designed to prevent critters getting though it. :?
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

My :macx: has plexiglass access panels on the ceiling of the aft bunk in the vicinity you are asking about. Remove the panel(s) to remove the foam blocks. The fiberglass thickness there to the fuel locker is no more than 1/4", if that. I utilized this access when mounting a fuel/water seperator in the starboard fuel locker.

I agree with others that this is an odd area to consider for mounting a vent.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

I'm assuming you don't literally mean INSIDE the fuel lockers.

Here's a link to what I hope you mean

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=294

--Russ
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I know some people have cut portholes through their hull on the outside. I don't believe it's worth it. The factory design of the Mac has been proven to be extremely safe. Altering this can have tragic results. INSIDE the cockpit, way out of the way of the waterline is a different situation.

This Mac was capsized when gallons of water rushed into a porthole and capsized the boat in seconds.
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/v ... f=9&t=6199

--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I had ports installed on both sides. Not in the Aft birth area, but as far back in the cabin as I could have them. Having them open when sailing is obviously a no-no. I have no fear of a failure if the boat is knocked down. They are constructed quite well, and installed well. I have heeled Nice Aft in excess of forty-five degrees for fun many times, and the ports were not under water. Being knocked down is obviously another thing entirely.

I reread the postings from Fran, and if it was stated that the ports were the point of water entrance, I missed it. Early in the posting, the ports were a point of question, but I may have missed that point.

One of my ports.

Ray
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Ray, I know you are a prudent sailor and would never have a dangerous situation.

I also re-read Fran's story and it is terrifying. (Isn't this website great for all that history?) Obviously, her swamping was easily prevented and many mistakes were made.

I've seen people with these ports and most I know are careful sailors.

--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Once while sailing, I realized I had not closed the ports before leaving the dock. I quickly told my wife to go below and close the ports. When she came back up, I told her that there is a nautical term when water comes in through the ports. She asked what it is. I told her........ SINKING :!: :D

Ray
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I have my opening ports 4x14 in the same location as Ray
they allow for a nice cross breeze also when sitting at the dinette, but they r above the rub rail so less likely subjected to swamping , but a rule of thumb is that anything below top deck is always closed before sailing & at the first sign of any poss. trouble close all hatches & my two piece entrance hatchway allows extra protection

J 8)
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

NiceAft wrote:Once while sailing, I realized I had not closed the ports before leaving the dock. I quickly told my wife to go below and close the ports. When she came back up, I told her that there is a nautical term when water comes in through the ports. She asked what it is. I told her........ SINKING :!: :D

Ray
Sinking? I literally laughed out loud at that one.

Thanks for the laugh Ray. :)

--Russ