For those who like music while sailing

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

For those who like music while sailing

Post by Curwen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:00 pm

For those who like music while sailing, where are your speakers located?

I have a 26D without a stereo. Tonight picked up a deal on a marine stereo with 4 marine speakers. I also have a few other marine speakers I've picked up over the years.

All the sailboats I've been on seem to put speakers through the hull down by your feet or along the back of the seating. I'm scared to cut hole through the hull and I don't like any of those place for the risk of leakage. I have a couple of elaborate designs in mind to avoid putting holes in my hull.

Thank you for any insight.

Curwen

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: For those who like music while sailing

Post by dlandersson » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:03 am

My speakers are in the cockpit benches and forward by the bow (inside). 8)
Curwen wrote:For those who like music while sailing, where are your speakers located?

I have a 26D without a stereo. Tonight picked up a deal on a marine stereo with 4 marine speakers. I also have a few other marine speakers I've picked up over the years.

All the sailboats I've been on seem to put speakers through the hull down by your feet or along the back of the seating. I'm scared to cut hole through the hull and I don't like any of those place for the risk of leakage. I have a couple of elaborate designs in mind to avoid putting holes in my hull.

Thank you for any insight.

Curwen

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 am

I have four speakers in my :macm: .

Two are in the cockpit, on either side of the hatchway.
Image Image

Two are in the cabin, above the”V” berth, facing aft (no photgraph).

Ray

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 am

I'm scared to cut hole through the hull and I don't like any of those place for the risk of leakage.
I had the same feelings so I mounted a set of waterproof inspection ports first with the speakers behind them. They stay sealed and covered out of the elements when not in use.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 am

well, not the answer for your question... I use a bluetooth speaker that I hang somewhere when I use it.

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:14 pm

I’ll second the Bluetooth speaker. Jbl charge 3 is waterproof and you can pair multiples, also acts as a spare charging bank. We kicked one around in the cockpit a few years back in a downpour while hauling in halibut. I was very impressed so I went out and bought one. Rarely use head units and fixed speakers anymore.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:55 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the mention of halibut fishing is more than I can resist. I'm planning on cruising around Vancouver Island this summer, and am considering giving halibut fishing a try. Any suggestions regarding rigging, depth you fish, how hard it is to get down to depth without anchoring, etc. One of my big questions is how to deal with success. If I manage to catch a decent sized halibut, it will obviously carve up into more than I can eat fresh, and It may exceed my frig/ice chest capacity for an extended cruise. I figure I'll either look for a fishing camp that can ship out frozen fish, or plan on making lots of new friends giving away fish. Of course, I have to catch one first.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:31 pm

80-180ft mud bottoms with rocks nearby. Use good gear or risk losing it. Spreader bar with 1lb lead ball works best, lighter can work but currents can take it. You can drift fish but best to find an above location and wait for flood tide just inside an inlet close to open water. I prefer braided steer leader with treble on bottom and J on top with some pink salmon or half a herring on the bottom and half a squid on top (this mimicks a squid eating) You can jig or not it makes zero difference and the bigs ones almost always take non jigging bait (they move along the bottom and eat whatever’s in their way, too much effort to swim after what is barely a mouthful for a big fish). Don’t get discouraged and best to find a spot an hour or two before low slack and fish all the way through to high slack and start of the ebb. Buy a new age teloscopic harpoon and 75’ of twisted line, this helps to retrieve and secure anything over 40lbs. A large salmon net will work for smaller ‘chickens’ and you can still release if you don’t want it. Right now cut a few spruce boards 16” long x 1.5”w and the 3/4” thick, make a blunt point on one end and a hole on the other, tie 15’ of twisted line to the end and tie or splice a loop in it. Once harpooned, make a lasso with the board line and slip it over the fishes tail, take the board end and push it through the gills, pull hard and cleat it off, this will bring the tail to the check and more or less stopnit from thrashing, make a good deep cut at the tail, but don’t cut it off, this will sever the muscle and take all its power away, run your knife into the gills to bleed it out. It will help keep the meat clean later when you fillet it and is more humane than trying to beat it to death as they are f’ing tough. DO NOT put any part of your body near the mouth, if your hook is in deep leave it and grab another (I usually keep 15 or so rigs on board for a good trip). If you can get sea ice great, pack unwrapped in sea ice. If fresh water ice I package in the large 2’x3’ (yes ft) ziplock bags then pack in ice. Don’t pack unwrapped in fresh ice, it will begin to break down very quick and effects taste and texture. On large fish keep well away from the belly, it’s not worth an inch of meat to get worms throughout the rest. They’re harmless but once the admiral or kids find it, it’s hard to get them to eat it again. Also don’t forget to keep the cheeks, big ones are like scallops the size of hockey pucks. I’m sure I’ll think of more.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 pm

By good gear I mean a proper halibut rod (don’t try and use a salmon rod) good heavy quality line, and don’t skimp on your leader, you’ll spend $30 on a spreader, weight and bait, even a small 60lb’r will open up most leaders like bailing wire. Check Walmart for spreader, rigs and weights (they’re good quality oddly enough) squid can be found cheap at most grocery stores (pink colored ones are really good) and I’ve found that superstore sells an Asian type fish that resembles large herring at a fraction the cost of bait herring. Hard part isn’t keeping the halibut fresh, it’s keepin the bait fresh, halibut are scavengers but they do have standards and won’t touch rotten bait.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:52 pm

Awesome info, Yukonbob. I'm printing it off for reference. Now, back to the music.

ris
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by ris » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 am

We also use a bluetooth speaker that is waterproof. No holes in the boat and no wiring. We even use it in the truck and camper. Most of our music is on our phones.

Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Curwen » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:45 am

Hello all,

Thank you for all the comments.

I'm still undecided on what route to take.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:05 pm

Well, you certainly have options.

Ray

Danhux
Deckhand

Post by Danhux » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Our 2003 26M has the speakers one on each side of the hatch door and two on the inside. The stereo is mounted above the sink and mirror.
Image Speakers

Image Stereo,,, excuse my dust, renovations in progress.

Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 pm

I have 4 box speakers on my 26M. The front two are hung from the ceiling: one across from the head, the other outboard and forward of the dinette. The other two are on hinges on either side of the companionway; they can swing into the cabin or out toward the cockpit. I got the idea from a previous (~12 years ago) post in the Mods section of this forum. Happy with the installation, but blue-tooth will be easier to install.