My keel line broke.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

rsvpasap
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

My keel line broke.

Post by rsvpasap » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 am

My keel line broke. From the photo, you can see the line is healthy, but all that clanging of the keel from the boat staying in the water year round just wore it away.

I was going to replace it with Dyneema and I see that's what Blue Water Yachts is selling. http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/5501-1x4.htm All good so far.

Can I repair this with the boat sitting on the trailer? Or am I going to have to put the boat up in the air on stands so the keel hangs free?

I am scheduled to pull the boat out of the water to bottom paint just a couple of days from now. I was going to do it the low stress inexpensive way, i.e., using a car jack to alternatingly raise the ends of the boat so I don't have to do a full-blown "haul out" with a travellift. I've done bottom paint this way before and it turned out ok.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Can this repair be done with the boat on the trailer or is it necessary that it must be put up on stands?

opie
Captain

Re: My keel line broke.

Post by opie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:23 am

Yes, many of us have replaced the centerboard line while the Mac26X is on the trailer. But, your trailer must cooperate. You can see from this pic that the board will hit ground if you release inside nut and no trailer crosspiece prevents it from falling. It is a good time to check the hanger as it has been known to corrode.
The pic shows that the knot is accessible once board is lowered. (Knot is on port side, you are looking at starboard side)Image
Also, here is pic of where exactly the wear takes place on the line. It wears while shaking at anchor, while fully raised, in my opinion.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:32 am

Use a floor jack, or some wooden cribbing, or a helper under the boat. It's light weight and not hard to handle, but clumsy at best to do alone. Very easy job.

nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Our 26x has stainless cable (like the side stays) from the deck on down and the only rope is visible on deck and easily replaced. I had assumed they all had cable. It has been trouble free. I now assume the P.O. replaced the line with cable. Something for you to consider.