How do *you* clean topsides?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

How do *you* clean topsides?

Post by DaveC426913 »

Left SeaSaw out all winter without cover.

Her topsides are grey with dirt and chalky.
I often clean with Spray Nine, but I never wax her.
What do you do?

Especially, what do you do about all that grimy anti-skid surface?
dlandersson
Admiral

Re: How do *you* clean topsides?

Post by dlandersson »

Very fond of "Woody wax". 8)
the dude
Just Enlisted

Post by the dude »

I have great success with Star Brite Non Skid Deck Cleaner with PTEF and a good boat brush.Pour it on straight out of the bottle!
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

When either of my boat looks too neglected, I use "30 seconds and Off" and my electric power washer.. I Too am Big Believer in Star Bright Products .. I think I have bought every boat product sold in America( My Garage looks like a Giant Trade Show Booth for Boat Detailing ) and NONE IS MAGIC! :x
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

I will soon try Meguiar's oxidation remover. I plan to apply it by hand, then to finish with a soft and thick cotton disk mounted on a drill.

I will let you know how it goes.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

So, do any of these products also protect the 'glass?
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

Alexis wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm I will soon try Meguiar's oxidation remover. I plan to apply it by hand, then to finish with a soft and thick cotton disk mounted on a drill.

I will let you know how it goes.
Ahoy! So, I started to deoxidize the boat this weekend. What an huge, huge task! Amazingly the boat seems way bigger when you are standing beside with a small rug in hand...

Here are my comments and advices:
- first of all: the result is outstanding (for about 40% of the boat done so far!...) I plan to clean all the hull, then above the rub rail the racoon strip and the side walls around the windows.
- the compound has a strong effect and should be applied on the same color: the black of the strip can be transferred to the white and the white can stain the black.
- the compound has a pretty bad smell (I am very sensitive to chemicals anyway) and having a bit of wind helps to dissipate the vapors
- a good rubbing is essential, it is hard on the arms but it pays: you can actually remove old stains
- A part if the trick is to let the compound dry completely, then to use a soft cotton puffer disk mounted on a drill to obtain the gloss. I guess that the rotation speed is essential, I doubt it could be done by hand.
- Last touch: a quick last rub with an old shirt to remove the lint left on the plexiglass by the puffer disk, and you can finally admire a new boat!

About the result: I am not sure if my boat had this sort of cleaning in the past, and how long it will last? I hope I won't have to do it again every year...
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Alexis wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm
use a soft cotton puffer disk mounted on a drill to obtain the gloss. I guess that the rotation speed is essential, I doubt it could be done by hand.
Yeah. If it's got wax, it needs enough friction to heat up and essentially melt.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

DaveC426913 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 am So, do any of these products also protect the 'glass?
Sorry. This was vague.

What I meant was: aside from cleaning, do these products also add a coat of wax that will protect the fibreglass so it lasts longer than the next passage through a gnat cloud?
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

DaveC426913 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm What I meant was: aside from cleaning, do these products also add a coat of wax that will protect the fibreglass so it lasts longer than the next passage through a gnat cloud?
According to Meguiar's website, the oxidation remover contains "enriched feeder oils". https://www.meguiars.com/marine/product ... -oz-liquid Sounds like a sort of wax...
Carioca
Chief Steward

Post by Carioca »

Soft scrub.
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

Do you guys use straight water from the lake/sea to rinse or clean the boat? Isn't there a risk to bring "biological contaminants" which are going to grow on the gelcoat overtime?

I am wondering if it would be wise to pour a little bit of bleach in each bucket of water?