What to look for buying a 2001 Mac 26X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Gmorganflier
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

What to look for buying a 2001 Mac 26X

Post by Gmorganflier » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello,

I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I tried searching the forum with different key words and could not find what I was looking for.

Many years ago I had a Dolphin Senior and loved sailing. I want to get back into the sport. About a week ago, I typed in what would be a good sailboat to trailer and the MacGregor came up, which I had never heard of. I’m very intrigued by the 26X and 26M.

I going to look at a 2001 Mac 26X this weekend. It has sat neglected for a few years, had the engine stolen and I was told the trailer is in not great shape. If the boat itself is in good shape and the price is really low, I could buy a new engine and trailer. Supposedly, the main sail is new and stored in the cabin. The jib has been outside.

My question is....what are the important things to look at on a older neglected Mac 26X to determine if this boat might be a possibility? If the hull and masts seem to be in good shape are there other big ticket items which should steer me away?

Thanks for any advice which would help me when I go look at this boat.

George

Alexis
Engineer

Re: What to look for buying a 2001 Mac 26X

Post by Alexis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Ahoy and welcome!

There are plenty of Macgregor experts in this forum, I am pretty sure they will manifest themselves soon and give you the best advice you can get.

I will give my opinion anyway:

- You want the gelcoat to be in an acceptable state from your point of view. I would not recommend ones to purchase a boat if there is extensive gelcoat work to make it look acceptable. I put it this way: would you be proud of the boat if it was just barely washed and put in the water?
- The hull and the ballast must be water tight. (I would personally only purchase a boat on the water, my opinion)
- Check the ballast valves: stern, bottom hull fill, vent.
- Check the through-hulls. You should find four drains on the boat, all above the buoyancy line: chain locker, engine well, galley sink, head sink. Any more through-hull is additional and must be inspected in details: it could be a marine head, a depth finder or anything else.
- Check for repairs on the hull
- An over-powered or too heavy engine could have damaged the transom. Do you know what engine was there?
- If there is some water in the boat, try to locate where it is coming from. Mac 26 are usually pretty dry but a little bit of water can enter with the rain.
- Check the mast and rigging: the stays must be in good condition. The forestay supports the weight of the mast, this part is critical for safety.
- A lot of these boat have been modified by their owners. Compare it with pictures of an original one (there are plenty online).
- At last, keep in mind that it is probably one of the simplest sailboat for its size, which means that it is very easy to fix and maintain. Though you want to evaluate the amount of work this sailboat needs (remember that work = time + money + love).

I wish you the best!

Gmorganflier

Post by Gmorganflier » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 am

Thank you Alexis

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:57 pm

I bought my 2001 :macx: at an auction for a steal not knowing anything at about the boat. I will highlight some issues I ran into in my process of making her lake ready. I had some fiberglass damage that needed to be repaired, engine had to be serviced (not an issue for you), gel coat was oxidized (chalky residue if you run your hand along her). This year I had to replace the windows and the rubrail (was visibly damaged). The main thing I would look at is inside the bilges and the interior and see if there appears to be water intrusion.

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 pm

The motor is a very large fraction of the worth of the boat. Like, 1/2.

I bought my My 2000 MacX for $20K. When it got borked the next year by a neighbor in a storm, the insurance company valued the boat at (only) $10K.
(Luckily the repair estimate came in at $8500.)

So, you can compare this engineless Mac to other Macs in similar condition, and then knock the price in half - and that's before any other depreciation. If it's more than that, they're probably asking too much.

JotaErre
Engineer

Post by JotaErre » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Be very careful with the trailer, if structural members are rotten, I'd discard the trailer.
Look for bubbles in the hull, and replace worn halyards and sheets. Inspect also stays and shrouds and change them if they look rusty or they are not smooth when you run your hand across them.