Well I did it new to me 1998 26x weehaaa

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

Dougiestyle
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Well I did it new to me 1998 26x weehaaa

Post by Dougiestyle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:03 pm

Well i finally did it. I have been looking for a :macx: for about 2 years and finally pulled the trigger :D on a 1998 :macx: . Right now i am in maintenance mode :P , it has been sitting for 3 years, covered. The rudders were not covered and have cracked, probably due to freezing :( . The centerboard apparently was down when someone backed it up :o , while in the water and broke the top notch off. The hanger is in good shape. I already have new rudders and centerboard from BWY. Everything else appears to be good shape, just the usual minor nicks and dings. The top side has minor chalking showing up, so I will probably start some prime and painting the some of the topside or all of it. The boat has no name on it, were thinking about MacAttack :evil:
The trailer is original with no major rusting issues. I am going through the surge brakes right now and have got a new master cyl., slave cyl., brake pads and seals are already ordered. The axle, bearings, and seal seating surfaces are in good shape.
Will get some photos soon.
Love this site Thx Doug

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Well I did it new to me 1998 26x weehaaa

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Congrats on the new baby.

Be aware that one weak spot on the original trailers is the pole tongue, particularly where it meets the side channels. Besides being the location of the highest bending moment, it’s also known to rust internally in there. Tap around the bottom of that tube with a ball peen hammer, listening for a nice ring rather than a dull thud, which would indicate heavy rust.

One of our esteemed members here had his tongue break in that spot from rust while on a road trip, and I’m sure there are others with rust issues there. It’s a very bad spot for a structural failure.

Dougiestyle

Post by Dougiestyle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks for the tip on the trailer rusting. I searched this site and found trailer emergency and when the rust grows. I checked my trailer tongue and axle with a ball peen hammer and got the nice metallic ring throughout. I also lightly filed any possible exterior indications and found no problems. I have already pulled it 700+ miles.
I think I will add the 3" x 3" x 3/16" on the bottom as seen in "when the rust grows", for a piece of mind also.
Thanks Doug
Love this site

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:35 am

Congrats. Please add to your list: the newest Mac owner has to buy everyone pizza. Extra cheese please. :P

Replace your trailer tires.
Last edited by dlandersson on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:33 am

Hello Doug, congratulations for this nice purchase!

Where are you from?

A couple of ideas for your trailer: I changed the bunks as soon as I could with some 2x6 instead of the initial 2x4 and some thick carpet (it is an easy job, totally worth it!). The rust problem with Mac trailers happens because there is no water evacuation at the rear of the neck tubing. Water can get stuck in the neck and may stay there is the trailer is parked neck up on a slope. So I decided to treat inside the neck: I gave it some slope with the jack, then filled the neck with rust treatment. I gave two turns every hour to lower the neck progressively and made sure all the inside surface was exposed. I let the treatment sit for 24h. After putting the trailer in the water, I always put the neck as low as possible to make sure that all trapped water is evacuated from the neck.

Dougiestyle

Post by Dougiestyle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Inspected the trailer tongue and axle. Both were found to to be in good sound condition. Drilled a 3/16" hole in rear of tongue and the guides on the rear of the trailer for drainage. I am going to clean and swab the inside of the tongue with something?

At present I have remove and replaced both brake back plates brand new fully assembled (10" x 2.25") these are some type of floating brakes (wont engage while backing).Bearings were inspected and greased. I flushed the lines. A new master cyl. arrived today. So I think the brakes are headed in the right direction.

New tires were put on before I made the 700 mile journey home. So far so good.
Doug