A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Popscott
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Mast and sails for sale.

Post by Popscott » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello,
With my family having no interest in sailing and physical limitations with my arm I am turning my Macgregor :macx: into a power cruiser so there is no need to keep the mast and sails. The 26M mast was purchased in 2008 replacing a 26x mast as an upgrade (mod) from Blue Water Yacht. It comes with: all the halyards, backstay, main sail (2 reef system) 110 Genoa made by Don Yager in 2016, upgraded spreading mounts, two Harken swivel clam cleats, boom vang, boom, new forestay (rigging checked on 8-25-15 by MacDonald's Marina), Shaffer Snapfurl 700 roller furler. Asking $2,500 or best offer. If interested please e-mail rsscott42@icloud.com
You can view the pics and posting at https://spokane.craigslist.org/bpo/d/ca ... 10314.html

ris
First Officer

Re: Mast and sails for sale.

Post by ris » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:07 pm

The 26 X makes a great trawler. Physical limitations is the reason we do not sail. For a easily trailerable trawler the 26X is hard to beat. It is about perfect for 2 people. If you travel long distances a skeg on the rear and an autopilot are indispensable. We just rolled over 10,000 miles in our Mac trawler. We do have all the sailing gear in case we ever sell it.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:44 am

I understand the reason for going to trawler mode, but I don’t think I’d sell the sailing bits. When you ultimately do go to sell the boat - which eventually someone will have to do - you will have reduced its value by far more than $2500. And for the new owner the price of replacing all that would run into many thou$ands (if all the bits are even available at that point), not to mention the massive aggro... the many hours of research needed to figure out what parts are needed, how it all goes together, where to drill the proper holes, physical assembly, etc. - it would be a nightmare. One’s only hope would be to find another good used rig, and those are thin in the ground.

Popscott
Just Enlisted

Post by Popscott » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:45 am

That’s a great point and now I’m having second thoughts. I love sailing my :macx: and maybe in time when I send the kids camp for the week I can rig the boat and have dad time.