Good place to compare boat makes/models?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Good place to compare boat makes/models?

Post by DaveC426913 »

I know it's heresy to discuss leveling up my sailboat game here, but I need a place to start.

First mate needs something less tender and would like more overnighting room below. So, I'm considering moving up to something between 29 and 34 feet or so in the indeterminate future.

I'll list my wants and don't wants here, if you guys had suggestions, but I figure the most I could ask for is to be pointed at a site that helps me compare traits of similar boats. (Or maybe just to a good forum where I can ask my questions.)

I've considered looking on 'boats for sale' sites, but they tend to focus on the specific boat and the gear it comes with. I'm not looking at that yet, just wanting to narrow down my options.

I am at a yacht club, so obvs the best thing I can do is check out other boats. I crewed in club races for two years, so I'm not completely new to larger boats. I also went through Sailing course, which were on a Beneteau 38. (Gotta love that motorized, in-mast furling!)

My budget:
I dunno. 30K?

My concerns:
  • Will an inboard engine be more than I can handle, having been coddled by an easy, reliable Honda BF50?
  • For that price, will I only get an old boat?
  • Are there concerns about boats from 70s-80s? I read somewhere that insurance companies don't like to insure them.
  • Am I going to regret giving up all the awesome features of my Mac? Hybrid motor/power, water ballast, trailerable, one-man mast raising system, etc.? (Yes.)
My criteria:
  • Sailing on Great Lakes.
  • Cruising, not racing.
  • Small enough that it can be single-handed. Love me my Mac for single-handing. Don't even need to leave the helm. But I don't expect that convenience in a larger boat.
  • Mate likes the Nonsuch for its roominess below. But that can get expensive.
  • Multi-hulls are likely out of my price range.
  • Multi-masts OK, but as a rule, tend to be slower and don't point as high.
  • Must have a berth (V or master) that can be sat down into (as opposed to climbing into).
Banner_IV
Deckhand

Re: Good place to compare boat makes/models?

Post by Banner_IV »

https://sailboatdata.com

This has been a good place for me to get an initial feel for a boat
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Take a look at these: 8)

Hake Seaward 32RK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZAwqDpWYaI
mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Post by mac n cheese »

dlandersson wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:45 am Take a look at these: 8)

Hake Seaward 32RK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZAwqDpWYaI
Sorry...I didn't see a boat in that video. :wink:
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

Sailboat data as mentioned above

Below for good solid cruisers
http://bluewaterboats.org/

Below for good deals on cruisers <$30K
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47 ... 47098.html

My concerns:
Will an inboard engine be more than I can handle, having been coddled by an easy, reliable Honda BF50? small inboard diesels are much easier to work on than outboards, shoot for somehting older but well maintianed, new turbo'd diesels with onborad computers are about the same level as your honda
For that price, will I only get an old boat? Old boats aren't necessarily a bad thing, most are built like a brick sh*thouse and depending on the age have undergone extensive refits
Are there concerns about boats from 70s-80s? I read somewhere that insurance companies don't like to insure them. lot of variables between manufactures and models. Most 70-80's boats are still floating and sailing the world for a reason, again find something that has been refitted
Am I going to regret giving up all the awesome features of my Mac? Hybrid motor/power, water ballast, trailerable, one-man mast raising system, etc.? (Yes.) All boats are compromises, what you'll be giving up, you'll be gaining in other areas
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Thanks guys. These are awesome links. I will check them out.
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

Sumner has a nice 33-ish foot long Endeavor that he has mentioned selling...if nothing else, you might be able to coordinate a day trip with him when he comes down to Florida to play in the fall...
A lot of this will depend on what you want to accomplish with the boat... An Endeavor or an Island Packet would be a great heavy stable boat with lots of room and features. They are also popular enough you’ll have a lot of support and experience and parts and such to help you along the way. But you can probably find a pretty large number of boats in that price range that meet some version of your requirements. There are also some 30+ foot long older catamarans like a Genesis that would offer her a lot of stability and maybe some less cellar-like space...
Happy shopping!
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

vizwhiz wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:09 pm Sumner has a nice 33-ish foot long Endeavor that he has mentioned selling...if nothing else, you might be able to coordinate a day trip with him when he comes down to Florida to play in the fall...
Thanks. But I'm on the Great Lakes. And fresh water only.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

It's not just your sailboat - the crew can be very important :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jIUSCzdz9s