Got it up, now what?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Duquette5
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Got it up, now what?

Post by Duquette5 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:44 pm

We've owned Dukling :mac19: just over 2 years now and have never sailed her, only power. Today I sorted out the shrouds, stays and halyards and used the mast raising system to get it up. Only took me 45 minutes on my first try. I feel good about that and with practice hope to cut that in half. Now the only thing I dont have sorted is the mainsheet line and mainsheet controls. The manual is useless and I cant figure out how to set this up. Can someone shed some light on how to setup the boom and mainsheet controls?

March
Captain

Re: Got it up, now what?

Post by March » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:53 pm

If your boat is a Mac 19, you might want to post it under the "Ventura" heading. For a typical Mac 25, the boom attaches to the gooseneck at the lower end of the mast (but then again, if you've never set it up, some of the pieces of the gooseneck might be missing). The sail has "slugs" and you need to insert them, one by one, in the mast groove. Everything else is self explanatory and common-sensical (You pull on the halyard that goes from the top of the sail, around a block at the top of the mast. The bottom of the boom attaches to the pedestal--you can adjust the angle of the sail by releasing it, more or less, etc etc).

What specific problems do you seem to have?

Duquette5
Chief Steward

Post by Duquette5 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 pm

I figured out the mainsheet setup but this brings up a new question and revealed the need to install a topping lift. If I use a boom vang do I need to also use the mainsheet block or can I just remove it and use just the boom vang with the lines run all the way back thru the cockpit? For now we'll just be using the mainsheet block setup as intended.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 am

The boom vang won't control the angle of the boom to the boat's centerline. It only puts downward force on the boom, regardless of side-to-side movement, to control sail shape. It's a control you can live without, if just getting started. I rarely use mine, but then, my main sail is so baggy that nothing can help it. :P

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:49 am

I said nearly the exact same thing on my honeymoon. Just sayn'. :P

Duquette5
Chief Steward

Post by Duquette5 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:43 pm

dlandersson wrote: