Mission bay to San Diego bay and back in a day.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Mission bay to San Diego bay and back in a day.

Post by BOAT »

The first time we went there in the van was the year right after the big hurricane and as we drove into town a lot of the houses had no roofs. We also could not cross because the bridge was broken

The second time we went there on a plane.

The last time we went was in the van again and instead of staying on the 10 freeway all the way to Metairie we decided to stay on the road in Baton Rouge that turned into the 12 freeway. Then we turned onto a freeway called the 55 towards Ponchatoula and it was really cool! On that road we saw a lot of house boats!! Thousands of House Boats!

I thought the house boats were really neat and I wanted to live in one but my wife said the alligators would eat us so we continued on the 55 and it reconnected with the 10 freeway that goes through Nawlins (Norlens?) The people there are really cool, we like it there.

I with the Sandy Diego people were as friendly as the nawlins people. do you sail with alligators? Are the other captains nice?
Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Newell »

Boat,

Yes, have seen alligators in the marinas and in the Industrial Canal where I keep the boat. Went up a Bayou in Mandeville, seeing gators and many turtles, hit a submerged log and needed to turn the boat around. Asked the wife to jump in and push it around, she said no way! with those gators :o .

New Orleans is a great place for Mac boats. It's reasonable to cross the lake or traverse the GICW to a marina and stay overnight, see a festival or explore upriver and motor or sail to home port.

I don't know how to answer about other captains. Mostly there are bigger boats about, so there isn't much time or place to meet on the water or in the marina. I have met several skippers that were friendly. When on the GICW it's paramount to have a good VHF and talk to the captains on the huge barges you are passing.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

It's amazing to me that the sailors that are land locked in the middle of the southwest (guys like you and sumner and other mac owners I have met from Arizona) are the most adventurous of them all - it's like you guys sail your boats EVERYWHERE except at home where there is no water!

I want to see if some of the MAC guys from the Southwest areas want to do a thing on Lake Powell sometime - that would be fun.

I also want to try the canals with tomfoolery sometime.
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

BOAT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:51 pm It's amazing to me that the sailors that are land locked in the middle of the southwest (guys like you and sumner and other mac owners I have met from Arizona) are the most adventurous of them all - it's like you guys sail your boats EVERYWHERE except at home where there is no water!

I want to see if some of the MAC guys from the Southwest areas want to do a thing on Lake Powell sometime - that would be fun.

I also want to try the canals with tomfoolery sometime.
I would enjoy Lake Powell. Not too far from Albuquerque. Took my ski boat there years ago to meet family coming down from Colorado. Was a great trip. And a beautiful lake. A Fall trip ( September) would be ideal for us. Summers at Powell are tough for the Admiral as she is heat sensitive. I would enjoy meeting many of you in person.
Todd
Last edited by Todd on Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell »

Bobsquatch wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:02 am I motored from Mission bay then sailed all the way to Imperial Beach marine reserve. I came across a group of kayakers who warned me too look out! I said, I know it's only 2' deep. It's a Macgregor! 8) I had my rudders kicked up and the swing keel barely in the water making 4kts. They were amazed. I turned and came alongside them to chat a bit while we left the area. They were in performance kayaks with long skinny rudders, I could get shallower than them. They actually pulled ahead for a while till it got deep enough to drop the rudders and keel and I took off. it was getting late so I doused the sails and headed back. It was well after dark when I got back to my slip but show me another boat that could do all of that in a day. I also stopped for fuel, had lunch at Point Loma Seafoods and cleaned the hull. Busy day. :)
This thread has meandered off San Diego just a little bit. Just want to invite Bobsquatch to bring his X over to SouthBay Family Racing Series next Saturday the 15th. Race starts for the X boats at 12:00. Here where to sign up.: https://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm?fbcli ... &view=auto

It's free fun and there will be 2 other X boats if you show.

:macx:
Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch »

Thanks Newell. I find it funny that I read your reply the day you are leaving for NOLA. I have been swamped working 6-7 days a week and will continue to be into March. I want to put on a fresh coat of anti fouling paint and a few more things before I get a slip around April. I would love to get a few tips from a more experienced :macx: owner to get the best sailing performance I can before my first race. Or maybe not... What better way to measure your improvements than setting your baseline before instructions or tips are implemented. I met a new :macm: owner. Indica at a Mission Bay boat launch. Maybe we will see him around for your comparison. Seems like a nice guy. Had a 90 Merc. If we can gather up Boat, we'll have decent little Mac squadron. Hope to meet some of you this summer.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I think it would be fun to sail in the big bay this summer.

The way i like to do it Is I tow 'boat' with the Sprinter Van motorhome to the San Diego Metro KOA resort in Chula Vista and we get a big long pull thru site for a few nights.

Then we just tow the boat from there to Pepper Park and put in there - (We stay at the KOA since there are no overnight facilities at Pepper Park.)

Usually we pull the boat out every night but if you guys want to anchor we can do that - I don't because San Diego is sort of harsh and wants permits and stuff. We can also tell mastreb we are there too because he has a big 40 foot Beneteau in the harbor. We can buzz his slip like a bunch of flies and torment him with our noisy outboard motors. (San Diego people hate outboard motors).

By the way NEWELL !!

there was this older gentleman that sailed with your San Diego friends who owned an X boat and i think he was like one of the number one experts on that boat - I can't remember his name - I think it was MURV or Marv or something like that? Murv Berry or Marv Berry - anyways, he was VERY knowledgeable on the X boat - he was older and I think he passed a few years back but he made a video on raising the mast on the X boat that was the most excellent MRS system ever for the X boat. Are you aware of him or that video? I am trying to find that video to show it to Jimmy T on this site in another post to help him with his MRS mods. I want Tomfoolery to see it too. - Have you seen it?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I've seen some of his videos. Hate the community lost him.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

The video I saw was a little more detailed on his MRS rig - in the video I saw he explained and demonstrated how he could stop the mast from falling at any angle by just grabbing the lines with very little pressure - he called it the "brake" and he also demonstrated how he makes his spreaders clear the lifelines and in the video i saw he also explained how to fabricate the triangle metal piece and all the other parts.

The main thing here is Murv uses the forestay itself to raise the mast and a long gin pole - we can do the same thing even with a furling rig if we crate a connection to the forestay that is independent of the connection under the furler drum.

The only equipment needed then would be the gin pole, ONE whisker pole as a side stay, and a block and tackle. (In the video Murv was using the baby stays)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

BOAT wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm The video I saw was a little more detailed on his MRS rig - in the video I saw he explained and demonstrated how he could stop the mast from falling at any angle by just grabbing the lines with very little pressure - he called it the "brake" and he also demonstrated how he makes his spreaders clear the lifelines and in the video i saw he also explained how to fabricate the triangle metal piece and all the other parts.

The main thing here is Murv uses the forestay itself to raise the mast and a long gin pole - we can do the same thing even with a furling rig if we crate a connection to the forestay that is independent of the connection under the furler drum.
I take a wrap around the winch drum for a ‘brake’, after passing through the only genuine rope clutch on the boat (a PO added it). I have a 5:1 ball bearing block set, and it could really use 6:1, but I’m not complaining.

In his video, he doesn’t have a furler. So it’s no problem for him to have a shorter forestay with the link that pins to the bow chainplate through a stay tensioner. A good solution, but wouldn’t work for mine.
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Yup - me neither - I need all the forestay I can get! :(

A winch or a block - either one is fine - it's those damn baby stays that are the issue - sure would like to eliminate them.

I need to work on eliminating the baby stays - after that i can focus on the winch - without the winch you need a longer gin pole - and a longer gin pole can be used if it connects to the forestay ABOVE the furling drum - in fact with that kind of setup it makes that last 1/2 inch a lot easier when putting in the pin.

(I think we three are the only ones interested in this - maybe I better come back when I have some pictures) 8)
Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch »

I may be interested in the mrs but I'm so busy I get a slip, so the once or twice a season I rig the mast isn't worth it. When things slow down I will be more interested in popping in and out of the water and trailering more. Speaking of... it seems a lot more reasonable to sail from San Diego to Catalina (albeit way longer) than from Long Beach, San Pedro, Dana Pt. Or even Oceanside. Who has done it? It would be a fairly close haul but with the wind cooperating somewhat it would be nearly a straight shot. Has anyone made it in a day 100% sailing? I figure the trip home will be faster. A more likely scenario would be motor 20 some odd miles till the wind comes up and sail the rest. I have no problem towing north, but I see no need.

The days are getting longer my friends. Time to start thinking about these things... 8)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Bobsquatch wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:36 pm I may be interested in the mrs but I'm so busy I get a slip, so the once or twice a season I rig the mast isn't worth it. When things slow down I will be more interested in popping in and out of the water and trailering more. Speaking of... it seems a lot more reasonable to sail from San Diego to Catalina (albeit way longer) than from Long Beach, San Pedro, Dana Pt. Or even Oceanside. Who has done it? It would be a fairly close haul but with the wind cooperating somewhat it would be nearly a straight shot. Has anyone made it in a day 100% sailing? I figure the trip home will be faster. A more likely scenario would be motor 20 some odd miles till the wind comes up and sail the rest. I have no problem towing north, but I see no need.

The days are getting longer my friends. Time to start thinking about these things... 8)
Sorry about the thread drift. Will keep the MRS comments in the other thread. Just noticed BOATS comment and responded.

A slip is the best way to cure the MRS woes!
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Post by BOAT » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am
Post by BOAT » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am
by BOAT » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm
by Tomfoolery » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:28 pm
Post by BOAT » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:58 pm

Yeah true HEY RUSS! I think the posts listed above belong over here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27532&start=75

Sorry Russ, I screwed up.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Bobsquatch wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:36 pm I may be interested in the mrs but I'm so busy I get a slip, so the once or twice a season I rig the mast isn't worth it. When things slow down I will be more interested in popping in and out of the water and trailering more. Speaking of... it seems a lot more reasonable to sail from San Diego to Catalina (albeit way longer) than from Long Beach, San Pedro, Dana Pt. Or even Oceanside. Who has done it? It would be a fairly close haul but with the wind cooperating somewhat it would be nearly a straight shot. Has anyone made it in a day 100% sailing? I figure the trip home will be faster. A more likely scenario would be motor 20 some odd miles till the wind comes up and sail the rest. I have no problem towing north, but I see no need.

Sorry Bob, with all the trash I put in there I missed your question - my fault :?

Figure about 70 nautical miles by the time you round Point Loma and get around the kelp beds (you will spend an hour just doing that). If you can maintain 5 knots for 14 hours you can make Avalon by midnight if you leave at 8AM. If you want to get there in the daylight you must sail at night. To get there in the morning you must sail all night. I have done that with friends that live in San Diego - they just stay up all night, arrive in Avalon around 7AM, get a mooring and go to bed. Most people sail along the coast during the day to see how far they get by the end of the day. After 6 to 8 hours you will be near Oceanside but most press on to Dana Point (about 55 nautical miles from San Diego) after 11 to 12 hours at the helm. Then they head west the next day.

The fastest way to get there is from Long Beach. We sail from there all the time. We trailer to the boat ramp under the Queensway Bridge and head right out to Avalon or Two Harbors from there. Avalon is a 6 to 8 hour sail and Two Harbors is about 5 to 7 hours.

Under power figure about two hours either way WOT.

I am proud to say that 'boat' holds one of the fastest times ever recorded for a sailboat 'under power' from Two Harbors to The Los Angeles Harbor Lighthouse - LESS THAN ONE HOUR!

We made consistently over 18.5 knots WOT wind at our backs from Bird Rock at Harbor Reef in the Isthmus to the Los Angele outer breakwater in 59 MINUTES!!

'boat' is really fast under power when the sea is flat. We normally only do the power boat thing if we are going to Avalon in the summer because the choice moorings are first come first serve so the early bird gets the worms. If we are heading to Two Harbors we sail and that place always has a huge 18 knot wind approach so the last 4 miles are really fast. We usually need to reef coming into Two Harbors late in the day.

We do sail from Oceanside to Avalon in one day - it's a long slog about 10 hours. It's a lot less time from Long Beach.