Code zero sail

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Alexis
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Code zero sail

Post by Alexis »

I think this question was debated in the past but I would like to have a new vision on it. I am thinking of having a light sail for next season and I am debating between a code zero and a spinnaker.

As a reminder, a code zero is a very light genoa that can be hoist without a stay and will behave somewhere in between a genoa and a spinnaker. It seems to be much easier to handle than a spinnaker, even asymmetrical.

I read online that code zeros are usually more versatile and can be used closer to the wind, though they generate a little bit less power. I would think it would be a better fit than an asymmetrical spinnaker in my case because I sail on a lake and I have to compose a lot with the direction of the wind.

Do any of you have any experience with this sail?
dlandersson
Admiral

Re: Code zero sail

Post by dlandersson »

Judy B made me a very light Genoa (6 oz) that's pretty close to a code zero. Not for use in winds on 25+ knots. I also use a UV sock rather than sewn-in UV protection.

Seems to work pretty well. 8)
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

Who is Judy B? Is that a real person or a company?
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

Alexis wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:10 am Who is Judy B? Is that a real person or a company?
Found that... http://www.hydesailsdirect.com/default.asp it looks like she was a Hyde Sails distributor but is not in activity anymore...
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Did not know that - but the principle is the same - find a Genoa with a lighter cloth, pass on the sewn-in UV protection (use a sock instead). Lots of good lofts. 8)

Alexis wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am
Alexis wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:10 am Who is Judy B? Is that a real person or a company?
Found that... http://www.hydesailsdirect.com/default.asp it looks like she was a Hyde Sails distributor but is not in activity anymore...
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

I just received a nice explanation from Masthead Enterprises regarding Code Zero sails: "If you have 5 spinnakers on your boat, then a Code Zero should be one of them."

I understand now that I don't need a Code Zero which is a too specialized sail. What I need is a versatile gennaker.

To the moderators: sorry for the topic pollution but I am going to abandon this thread and create a new discussion focused on the right item... :|
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I had two different cut nylon drifter/gennakers on my :macx: as well as a factory spec doyle jib, genoa and asymmetric. The drifters stored compactly and allowed me to leave the 110 jib on the cdi furler all year since they were free flying from the spinnaker halyard. I used them instead of the genoa.

After initially playing with the drifters I did not use them frequently. They were the best sail for a close reach into 6-10 knots of wind, but everything from a beam reach down the asymmetric spinnaker was better. Another use for them was poled out as a double headsail dead down wind, but I only did this a couple times for fun and usually flew the asymmetric let way out and no mainsail.

The drifter is useful if you have to point as high as possible into light winds, for me that was only a tiny portion of what I sailed, I would rather bear off a bit and go faster. I picked mine up inexpensively off ebay, they don't come up all that frequently, but no one seems to bid on them either.

If you are reasonably agile at the bow I would highly recommend an asymmetric in a sock. Its easy enough to use and much more versatile in my opinion.
Sisu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Sisu »

Macs have very fractional rigs, so a big genoa/Code 0 really doesn't gain you much unless you raise the hoist height (inadvisable in all but the lightest air, since the mast is unsupported above the shrouds). The main provides most of your power. A good genoa will perform just fine, and you'll have more fun with an asym off the wind.

That said, I always poke around eBay looking for good sail deals. If you find a drifter on there that fits your rig and is cheap, go for it!
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

I have a drifter that’s set on a removable bow sprit for light off the wind sailing. I use it infrequently. It’s a nuisance to tack. It must be handed around the headstay. For light upwind work I would want a nice light 130 genny. For down wind, a regular spinacker although I don’t have one. The cross over sails I’m not thrilled with. The drifter I have comes back to the sheet winch. It seems like it’s only good for a narrow range of sailing. Not too far into or off the wind. It’s saving grace is it’s easy to stow since the bag is small.

Ix
JotaErre
Engineer

Post by JotaErre »

A cousin of mine has a veeery large Dufour and he has two furlers: one for the genoa and the other, for the Code Zero. I sailed with him this Summer, and the Code Zero was great between 60º and 120º, but he confessed that, from 120º to 180º (typical spinnaker courses), the Code Zero is useless unless you attach a pole.

The main advantage of the Code Zero was that, with a furler immediately before the genoa furler, it's as easy to raise and use as a genoa.
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

Thank you all for the good ideas! You are making me think a lot and as usual I need to "digest" before I can answer to each comment...

A question though... How do you guys set a 150 genoa or a "code zero", do you run the sheets inside our outside the stays?
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

Alexis wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:17 pm Thank you all for the good ideas! You are making me think a lot and as usual I need to "digest" before I can answer to each comment...

A question though... How do you guys set a 150 genoa or a "code zero", do you run the sheets inside our outside the stays?
Actually I am pretty sure it is outside, is it correct?

Do you know what are the dimensions of an ideal genoa 150?
Is the 150 genoa foot 50% longer than the boat J measurement, which would be about 10 * 1.5 = about 15ft ?
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Outside the stays. 8)
Alexis wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:17 pm Thank you all for the good ideas! You are making me think a lot and as usual I need to "digest" before I can answer to each comment...