How Robust are the MacGregor Rudders?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

zamber
Just Enlisted

How Robust are the MacGregor Rudders?

Post by zamber » Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm

How robust are the MacGregor rudders? From a glance they do not seem they are sturdy.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: How Robust are the MacGregor Rudders?

Post by kmclemore » Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm

I have heard of folks breaking them, and certainly Blue Water and other folks have sold replacements, but in general they are pretty sturdy. Mine are the originals and have lasted just fine.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue May 12, 2020 4:52 pm

A couple of years ago, while cruising the Great Loop, we were headed north on the Intracoastal Waterway, and with both rudders down and cleated off, I managed to hit bottom, hard, with the rudders. Rudders and rudder brackets survived the collision just fine, however, I managed to break both rudder lines, very near where the stopper knot attaches to the rudders. Granted, these were the original lines, about 13 years old at the time, but still, reflecting well on the strength of the rudders. The lines were just long enough to reconnect to the rudders with new stopper knots. I replaced the lines next chance I had. Maybe if the lines were brand new, my rudders would have broken. No way to know. I have heard of problems with the rudder brackets in early year models of the X, however, after Roger switched to stainless brackets, that problem was resolved.

geminiI-Can
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by geminiI-Can » Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Depends on who you ask. I would say the X seems to have pretty sturdy rudders and mounts. I have heard of them breaking. The M is a totally different story. I believe the rudder mounts on the M are the weakest part of the boat. Mine have spread apart allowing the rudder to wobble a fair bit. Think rudders not pointing in the same direction. Not very efficient. I have bent them back together but they soon spread apart again. Apparently some models have a heavier construction but mine are the weak ones. Presently saving up for the BWY upgrade to a thicker steel construction.
Rick
MYCBC member since 2011

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed May 13, 2020 2:09 am

You really need to be more specific.

I have a 97X. My old style rudders (and I have an extra set from ebay - just in case) - seem to be holding up fine after 10 years and after having had to repair/weld the rudder brackets (of which I also have an extra set re: ebay). 8)
zamber wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm
How robust are the MacGregor rudders? From a glance they do not seem they are sturdy.
Last edited by dlandersson on Fri May 15, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Wed May 13, 2020 8:01 pm

I don't cleat off the rudder hold-down lines. I used to just wrap the lines around the cleat in a circle, instead of the figure 8, and if they hit something they float up. Now I just tighten the pivot bolts so that they stay down, and kick up if I hit something. Then I just pull them down again.

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 am

How robust?...

Not nearly enough to survive several attempts at hauling out in the locked down position! Jus sayin'!
:o

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 am

I was trying to find a picture, but couldn't. My rudder lines have two fairleads on the transom for the rudder lines, but only the top one is used. It was like this when I purchased the boat and I wondered why, until I realized that the rudder can kick up when I run them into stuff. Been working great for the 4 years I've owned the boat.

Jeff

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri May 15, 2020 3:19 am

:D :D
K9Kampers wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 am
How robust?...

Not nearly enough to survive several attempts at hauling out in the locked down position! Jus sayin'!
:o

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 pm

I have the original 26X brackets and rudders on my 1998X. I have run aground about four times over the 16 plus years I have had her. I did recover the boat once with the rudders still in the down position. The groundings did not cause any damage. The very short distance I drove up the ramp with the rudders in the down position before I discovered my error did grind a couple of inches off the tips of the rudders and bent slightly one of the rudder mounts. I was able to take the mount to a metal fabricator's shop and have it bent back to the correct position. I repaired the rudders with glass cloth and epoxy myself. Aesthetically, I have always favored the old rudders that stow in the vertical position, so I am happy with my rudders. They are 22 years old and still work great.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue May 26, 2020 8:23 am

Ditto 8)
Herschel wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 pm
I have the original 26X brackets and rudders on my 1998X. I have run aground about four times over the 16 plus years I have had her. I did recover the boat once with the rudders still in the down position. The groundings did not cause any damage. The very short distance I drove up the ramp with the rudders in the down position before I discovered my error did grind a couple of inches off the tips of the rudders and bent slightly one of the rudder mounts. I was able to take the mount to a metal fabricator's shop and have it bent back to the correct position. I repaired the rudders with glass cloth and epoxy myself. Aesthetically, I have always favored the old rudders that stow in the vertical position, so I am happy with my rudders. They are 22 years old and still work great.