Hi from Oceanside - Bought a X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
rustyshackleford
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Hi from Oceanside - Bought a X

Post by rustyshackleford »

Hey folks, thought I should introduce myself and the boat I picked up recently.

I'm in the San Diego area and didn't really plan on getting a boat but since travel is restricted it seemed like a great way to have some fun. I grew up on and around many types of boats in the Great Lakes so I'm excited to play in the water. My girlfriend is a serious freediver and spearfisher, I prefer to dive or surf but our love of being in the water is the main reason for having a boat.

So we got a 99' X model in good enough shape. Everything works, some extras, we successfully got it sailing on Mission Bay last Sunday and met BobSquatch who was helpful since I didn't get any instruction from the seller on running the boat or mast raising.

So, its a working boat and we're figuring out if we like boats, is this the right boat for us and where do we want to go with it while we do have it.

The projects for the boat are the following.
1. Swap it to the new trailer after changing the bunks and fitment.

2. Install the Lowrance HDS7 that came with it. I don't know exactly where the in hull transducer I have with it should go but that or mounting of the rear seems the move? Some input here would be awesome.

3. Make the boat more user friendly, fix anything I see broken and buff out the gelcoat. I hate the chalky feel.

4. Make the mast support higher. I hit my head on everything on this boat.

5. Some type of easy shower for rinsing after being in the water

Anyhow, looking forward to participating. A few friendly members have been answering my questions for a few weeks now.

Cheers,
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Hi from Oceanside - Bought a X

Post by Catigale »

Welcome to the madness and have fun with your :macx: , it’s the best one here
!

:D
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Welcome! Nice looking rig. Sounds like a manageable list of projects. It's great that your girlfriend enjoys being on the water.

I have two of these for showers:

There is a pressurized version.

You can make your own with a black garden sprayer and sink spray nozzle.

You can make it as complicated as you want, portable propane heater and all, but these are the simple solutions.

If your depth transducer is likely designed for a certain mounting. I would not put a thru-hull penetration in for a transducer. But, that's just my opinion. There are transducers that are designed to mount inside the hull and check depth through the fiberglass. That would be my first choice. There are transom mount transducers that are meant to be mounted there if you want. A transom mount transducer might be easier to wire to the pedestal.

It really doesn't matter where you mount it as long as it reads accurately. Again, my opinion.

Good luck and keep posting your progress.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Dougiestyle
Engineer

Post by Dougiestyle »

Welcome to the club. Ton of info here. Looks like your up and goin.Have fun
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

rustyshackleford wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 pm4. Make the mast support higher. I hit my head on everything on this boat.
That's an easy one. Get a 2 ft length of 1/2" galvanized schedule 40 pipe, and a 1 ft length of aluminium tube 1" OD x .12 wall (same stuff the spreaders are made from). Slip the tube over the pipe, stick that combo into the helm socket, and put the mast crutch and roller on that. There will be 1 ft of pipe sticking out and it will hold the mast steady, or as steady as it can at least, on top of a long pole. Use a dock line to tie the mast to the cleats to stop it from rocking about.

I even put a hole in the Bimini bridge section so I can have a roof over my head when traveling with the mast down, like in the Erie Canal (below).

And welcome to the forum. Pepperoni. Extra thin crust (Noo Yawk style).
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

Dangit! I was trying SOOOO HARD to not learn something today and there goes Tom....
26X in Dallas Fort-Worth area Texas
Slip at Eagle Mountain Lake
:macx:
jimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by jimbo »

With respect to the transducer. If it is a transom mount it can still be positioned inside the hull firing through the hull. The Mac is a solid fiberglass hull so no issue with foam or coremat - just the the ballast tanks to avoid of course. re ballast tanks, I am not sure of the layout in the X model where a suitable spot might be found. But in any case, when you have some candidate spots stick the transducer in a plastic bag of water and position it in the correct orientation where you would like it to be - give it a try. When you find a working position, bed the transducer into sikaflex or some such removable adhesive. You need to avoid air gaps in the sikaflex and push the transducer all the way into the goo until it contacts the hull (I hate silicon on boats but that is also an option).
2011 Macgregor 26M "Edge of reason" eTec 60hp. SOLD to happy new owner
Now sailing a Castle 650.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Isn't there a forum rule that for each person from oceanside who joins, we kick one off?

Hmmmmmmm....

:P
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

leefrankpierce wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:49 pm Dangit! I was trying SOOOO HARD to not learn something today and there goes Tom....
Ooooh, sorry about that. Just can't help myself sometimes. :|
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Yes, most welcome. In my 17th year of ownership of my '98 X. Obviously, I like it. Our son lives in Escondido, and I used to live in San Diego back in the 70's. Love to visit the area. Great place to sail. As for transducer, my PO had one installed as a through-hull, and we struggled with leaks for years. Finally, I had someone cut it out, and I replaced it with one on the stern. (after filling the hole! :D ) and that has worked out much better.
rustyshackleford

Post by rustyshackleford »

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! Especially appreciative of the ideas to raise the mast support.

Since last week I've managed to bring most of the gelcoat back to life, install the lowrance (in hull transducer attached with plumbers putty for now) and replace most of the damaged rigging.

Got the boat sailing in open water out of Mission Bay yesterday (saw bobsquatch again) hit over 6 knots coming through the bridge on the way back in and finally tested out beaching the boat. Its been a blast. Really happy with the boat, now time for a name.

wakataka
Chief Steward

Post by wakataka »

I mounted my transducer using the wax from toilet sealing ring. It's located underneath the dinette on the upper edge of the ballast tank. I'd really prefer to have it up near the bow to give more a bit more warning when the bottom is shoaling but the cable wouldn't reach that far. The wax has not melted even on a 118 degree day with the boat on the trailer in full sun. Basically I just cleaned the inside of the hull a bit, plopped down a big blob of wax, and jammed the transducer down in it. You do need to avoid any bubbles in the wax and be sure it conforms tight to the hull. The transducer works just fine shooting through the hull. I've got a second transducer hanging off the stern and I can't tell any difference in their sensitivity.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT »

Catigale wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:48 am Isn't there a forum rule that for each person from oceanside who joins, we kick one off?

Hmmmmmmm....

:P
yeah - that rule is still in place Cat, except you forgot that Jimmy Alonso gave us an exception for the M boats when he visited from Puerto Rico. Only two X boats are allowed in Oceanside at one time AND ONLY ONE M BOAT so ha ha I still get to stay, (until an M boat shows up).

I was unable to provide a good location for a transducer because I am not familiar with the ballast tanks on the X boat so I have not been much help.
JotaErre
Engineer

Post by JotaErre »

Congratulations!