Checking out 98 26X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Checking out 98 26X

Post by svscott »

I currently own and love a 1987 26D but I just came across what seems to be a killer deal in a 1998 26x that's sitting on a stock 2002 macgregor trailer. There are several 3 year old pictures in the for sale ad but I haven't seen any recent pics yet. From the owner's account, the boat is in good shape, with new batteries, decent cushions, solar panel with charge controller, and a 50 hp outboard that will start up and run with no issues. The mast, boom, main, and roller furling jib have been sitting on a rack at the boat yard for a year or two and the owner mostly used the boat as a power boat. The boat supposedly lived most of its life in upstate NY in fresh water but has since been in the ocean for 3 boating seasons.
Due to the covid and maybe other reasons I don't know, the boat and trailer haven't been in the water since last year and aren't currently registered so I won't be able to sail or test the engine, though he did say he can start it up for me. I will step the mast and know to check standing and running rigging and can check for visible hull damage but are there any specific trouble areas to be aware of on the 26x's from this era?
From reading forum posts and FB groups, it seems like the steering linkage may be a spot that's prone to wear and failure. I know the slanted V berth hatch and sliding pop top area on my 26d are less than strong and should generally not be walked upon. Are there issues like this in the X?

I plan to go look at the boat and hopefully bring it home this weekend, but it's about 7 hours drive one way to get it. I will tap the steel trailer to check for problem rust and I want to bring extra wheel bearings and a spare tire or two. Can someone verify that a wheel and tire from 2008 aluminum macgregor trailer will bolt up to a 2002 steel trailer? What wheel bearings should I bring with me? Any other advice is much appreciated.

I put up a pic of my boat in the marina from yesterday, just because.

Thanks!
Scott - Three Hour Tour

1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Checking out 98 26X

Post by Catigale »

The trailer bearings have likely been reworked so no way to know what’s in there now. The trailer tongue on a 2002 steel trailer is near end of life, unless it is a lightlyused fresh water boat.

Let us know your route in case you have trouble. Im upstate inALB and will be mid state on WED
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Personally I would, and did, buy an X based only on a visual inspection. If there is no structural damage to the hull, then chances are extremely high that whatever the problem is, it can be fixed cheaply and easily. Cheap is a relative term, when it comes to boats, but parts are easily obtainable, as is advice.

The trailer will most likely need replacing, especially if it's been dunked in saltwater. Count on $3-4k for that, although some handy people who are able to rebuild and replace trailer parts still have original trailers from that era. Lots of stories on this forum about owners having trailer failures on their first tow from the place of purchase. That happened to me, with a tire blowout about 100km from home.

There are no known problem areas that always occur with these boats, or at least none that would prevent you from using it while you considered the right fix.

Outboards are outboards. Nothing to do with the boat they are on.
svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott »

Thank you. I'll be hopefully picking her up this Saturday and driving from NYC to Erie, PA. I'll probably drive through PA, Dien 79 and across 80, but maybe I'll opt for 86 through NY and stop off in the finger lakes for a couple hours.

The current owner says the boat lived in fresh water up in lake George until he bought it in 2016 but since then it has been in and out of the ocean around NYC for 3 years... so maybe it won't be too rusted out to make the trip. I'm planning on showing up with a new pair of bearing buddies and a good car jack, plus tools to change them on the road. I'll bring a grease gun and verify the wheels spin smoothly before heading out and then check the hubs for excessive heat semi regularly.

I know all too well the tribulations of having an old rusty trailer that has seen salt water. 3 Hour Tour only sailed in the Pacific Ocean out of So Cal from 1987 until 2003. My dad and uncle were the 2nd owners and raced it from maybe 98 until 03. Dad saw Lake Erie for the first time and gifted me the boat in 2005. We had 1/4" steel plate welded in to reinforce the tongue for the trip to PA and a couple years ago I paid $600 to have a local trailer shop replace the whole tongue of my 1987 26D trailer, but at the exact same time it was being reworked, another Mac owner, Doug W (awesome dude! ) over in Missouri sold me his 26M aluminum trailer for a great price and my brother who lives in Kansas City picked it up from him and delivered it to PA for me. I added aluminum cross bars and refit the bunks on that trailer to work for my D and it's been awesome every since. My rusty old trailer is now taking up space in my yard and only sees occasional use for work projects.
The outboard on the X is a 2016 Honda 50 that's only been in salt water so I'm hoping it's been fresh water rinsed at least occasionally after use and the internals are all OK. I can't fathom 3 years of intermittent use killing it already. I've replaced and/or reworked literally every facet of my 26D aside from removing the rub rail and splitting the hulls, so I'm really not concerned about getting in over my head on the X. It's good to hear there aren't many known issues. I did just read that the older X boats used plywood core in the cabin top so I'll check for soft spots on deck.
Now I just hope the sale does not fall through... but I've got faith in the Mac community and expect to be the happy owner of 2 Macgregors by this time next week.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

A trailer that has been sitting outdoors for any extended period without being used will probably have bearing problems. They may not be noticeable just by jacking up a wheel and listening to it spin. Plan on replacing the bearings as soon as possible. If you are traveling any significant distance you may want to consider replacing them before you get on the road.

Check the tires for any cracking or signs of dry-rot in the sidewalls, particularly if the trailer has been stored outdoors. Bias ply tires (common on boat trailers) will develop a flat spot if they are left in one position with weight on them. It usually smooths out after the tires warm up, but it may cause an unusual vibration until then. If the trailer has radial tires look for any signs of tread separation. Run your hands carefully around the back edge just below the tread. If you feel any wires poking out replace the tire.

It sounds like you are planning on interstate highway speeds for a portion of your trip. Personally, I'd be uncomfortable with doing that with an unknown (untested) trailer. Keep your speed down and make sure that the boat is all the way forward on the trailer. If it is too far back, even an inch or two, it will probably fishtail at highway speeds. Go slow. Take your time. Stop often and look for any developing problems before they become big ones.

New hubs with bearings installed and prepacked are not expensive and would eliminate most bearing related problems. Consider taking a set and replacing them before you tow it home. New wheels with new tires already mounted are also relatively inexpensive. Don't forget the tools you will need to replace the hubs and/or tires if you take them.

Check the tire pressure. Inflate to the maximum on the sidewall. Trailer tires are often 50psi or more for bias ply tires (radial will be less). Underinflated tires get hot. Underinflated radial tires get hot and throw their tread.

Unless the trailer was recently rewired, take a new set of lights and a wiring harness. On second thought, they are cheap and you will need them eventually anyway. Bring a new set with you.

You might also consider purchasing towing insurance that covers your boat and trailer before you go. Verify that it will tow your boat and trailer as far as you need it to.

Other things to bring:
  • a jack big enough to lift the trailer with the boat on it
    jack stands
    a board to put under the jack/jack stands in case the bad wheel is not on pavement
    grease gun and grease
    lug wrench with a long handle
    penetrating oil (for stuck lug nuts)
    electrical tester
    spare light bulbs
    fire extinguisher
    electrical tape
    zip ties
    hand cleaner
    shop rags or paper towels
    tire pressure gauge
    air pump that can go to well over 50psi
    tire sealant and/or spare tire already mounted on wheel (check pressure)
Check for any dull sounds in the trailer tongue and axle by hitting them firmly with a largish hammer. They both will rust from the inside out and will often not show any signs of weakness until they fail. Don't forget to check the springs, hangers, and u-bolts.

Fortunately my trailer has two axles so this did not strand me, but it did cut my trip short.

I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip and that you enjoy your new boat for many years to come.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Use ratcheting tie-downs on the rear of boat to secure to trailer. Depending on rear overhang of boat, the strap may be between steering pedestal and rear. That's ok.
svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott »

That's all good information and advice.
I'll head over to the local trailer repair shop and get a pair of hubs and new lights. I'll do my best to have all the tools I should need to do any roadside repairs and I've got a five gallon bucket with a handful of ratchet straps, both large and small. My tow rig for this trip is a Z71 Suburban and I've got thousands of miles logged pulling trailers of various size and weight. I've never had a major failure while pulling a trailer - knocking on wood for this streak to continue.

Breaking an axle or losing a tire on a single axle trailer would SUCK at 70 mph. Everything else, I think i can overcome without much difficulty.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what hub assembly and wheel lug spacing I'll need for a 2002 mac trailer?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

svscott wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:17 pmCan anyone point me in the right direction for what hub assembly and wheel lug spacing I'll need for a 2002 mac trailer?
Wheels are 5 on 4-1/2" circle, on a 3500 lb axle. Hubs have two different bearings (larger inner), but I don't think I have that info. :|
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
mwylia
Just Enlisted

Post by mwylia »

Just replaced bearings on my 2002 trailer a couple of months ago. Inner is a L44649 and outer is L68149. Hope this helps.

Mike
Brookneal, VA
2002 :macx:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

And do be sure to use double-lipped seals. Unless it’s for emergency repairs on the road only, of course.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott »

Hey everyone, thanks for the valuable information and suggestions. I now own a 1987 26D and a1998 26X...52' of Macgregor boats!
I left for Long Island, NY at 930 Wednesday night, bought the boat on Thursday early afternoon and made the trip home without incident, arriving home at 330 am Friday! 20 hours of driving out of 30 hours away from home, only stopping for gas and a few hours of sleep on the way to NYC. The boat is in ok shape but is in need of some love and attention. I didn't inspect the sails yet but it's got a mainsail with sail slugs and a roller furling jib that's been tied down to the mast. The engine is a 1998 Honda BF50 that fired right up and purred at idle. For the rest of the boat, there are the normal dings and scratches in the fiberglass that you'd expect from a 22 year old boat and the deck hardware is likely all stock and seems rather spartan.
The trailer is in overall good shape and only needed some air in the tires and we rewired the lights with a new harness because the left side led brake light had a bad ground and the right side wouldn't work at all so rather than troubleshoot it, we just pulled new wires. There are bearing buddies in the hubs and they stayed cool the whole way home.

The previous owner was shocked that we showed up with so many repair items. We had new trailer lights, spools of primary wire, two sets of wheel bearings (will return) , two wheel hubs (will return) 1 spare tire, a flux core welder, a bucket of various ratchet straps, and a huge assortment of hand tools.

I'll be emptying the cabin later today to take inventory of what it's got and figure out what we need to purchase. The outside will get a good pressure wash and the inside will get scrubbed. After that is done hopefully I can take her out for a shakedown cruise and sail in Presque Isle Bay on Lake Erie before sunset!

The pictures are mostly from the boat yard where I picked it up and the 2nd to last pic has both of my Mac 26's in it!

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Looks like you scored a nice one! Glad the trip went well. Love the arch!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Looks like it’s in excellent shape for its age. Clean interior. Original trailer. In better shape than mine, from what I can see. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Looks nice. Awesome arch.

Best to be prepared than be stranded. When asked about all his spare parts on his boat, my dad always said "There are no hardware stores at sea."
--Russ
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I'm glad you made it back without problems. I'm with Russ' dad. A good sailor should be prepared to handle any reasonably foreseeable problem. In just shy of 50 years of boating I've needed to be towed in one time when the engine control module on my outboard died without warning. :x

I don't see anything in your pictures that would worry me at all. It looks like you have a fine boat that just needs a little elbow grease. That engine is just about bullet proof if you keep up on the maintenance. Its only real weak spot is the timing belt. I know that the BF40 was an interference engine and the BF50 is almost identical so I expect it is as well. Change the timing belt on the recommended schedule or you may find a valve poking through the top of your piston.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me