Rough Water

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
ROAD Soldier
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Rough Water

Post by ROAD Soldier »

Went to War against God on Saturday, ya I kicked his butt. He through big white caps at me and all he could do is get me wet and cold. I had to pull into and anchor in secluded cove to dry my clothes over my Wallas heater/stove for a couple of hours before going out for round two. On round two my wife got sick and throw-up over the side, and I almost capsized letting out the Jib under full Main. Learned alot about my new/used 26X that day.
First-Carry extra clothes.
Second-Reef Main early.
Third- In rough water boat handles better while sailing then motoring.
Fourth-That Wallas two burner stove/heater that came with the boat is awesome.
Six-Do not try to calibrate electronic navigation equipment in rough water, you cant fix anything if it doesnt calibrate so that mission still isnt done.
Seven-need to set my boat up for single hand sailing, my wife can not get the feel of the wheel in hard conditions.
Eight-Full dodger and possible enclosure is on my X-mas list.
pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Fifth

Post by pokerrick1 »

What is fifth :?: :?: :?:

Rick :) :macm:
Love MACs
Captain
Location: Eddyville, KY; 2002 X, 50hp Merc-4 stroke: Dream Chaser

Post by Love MACs »

Wat he asked??? :) :) :) :P

Allan
pokerrick1
Admiral

Huh??

Post by pokerrick1 »

Huh :?: :?: :?:

bubba
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Richland,WA Columbia River Lake Wallula "INSPIRATION" w/70 suz. 9' Merc dingy

Post by bubba »

The day before Thansgiving last year my wife and I bought our used 07 :macm: in Seattle and launched it and stayed at Schilschole bay that weekend. The second thing, we went to West Marine and spent about a grand on safety gear and there brand of storm gear for both of us. We already had neopreme booties from sea kayaking so we were set for the first big splash that almost came over the dodger. If you buy the dodger get the zippered doors too they really come in handy. Our M already had everything on it full canvas side curtans for the biminy. The stoum gear stays on the boat it got used a lott this winter we have 53 days and nights out sailing already and cant waite to go back to Pudget Sound Memorial day week for sailing and the Seattle folk festival rain or shine. It is about $35.00 a night at Bell Harbor Marina instead of $200.00 for a hotel in downtown Seattle another advantage of a Mac.
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

Road Soldier if your Missus is still prepared to go out after all that especially on a first trip, you have a goodun.
JonBill
Engineer

Post by JonBill »

Road Soldier,

Instead of going to war with Him, you may want to consider thanking Him that no one was hurt, and that the boat wasn't damaged, even though you chose to learn to sail on a rather rough day.

An apology to the Admiral may be in order as well, for putting her through all that.

I think # 5 that you omitted must have been something akin to "engage brain in the future and live to sail another day". Brains live longer than brawn! I mean you didn't get enough the first round so you came out for round two, it seems you're lucky He saved you instead of decking you flat out.

I hope you have a sense of humor and can take some kidding.

Kind Regards,
JonBill
Bawgy
First Officer

Post by Bawgy »

Road I live about 2½ hours from you and would love to sail out in the Chesapeake sometime . If you would like some company I would like to offer myself as crew one day .
tangentair
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by tangentair »

I think you all have it wrong, that wasn't war, that was a benevolent god providing him with an opportunity to enjoy his day out and increase his learning and skills. Like a friendly tennis match with a tough opponent, he came home pumped and ready to have another go.
pokerrick1
Admiral

Him

Post by pokerrick1 »

What JonBill & Tang said :)

Derek Wenn
Just Enlisted

Post by Derek Wenn »

Having sailed for about 35 years now, I believe each day out is an education. My 1st day out with my Dad when I was a kid, we ran the boat aground on the jetty rocks just accross from about 50 people at the Yacht Club and had to be towed in by onlookers. We had a few scuffs on the hull and out pride pretty battered but we took a Coast Guard sailing course and here I am, passionate about sailing 35 years later. Learn all you can and take it slow when you are just starting out, and I promise you, you will have a lifetime of joy on the water. :macm:
pokerrick1
Admiral

Joy

Post by pokerrick1 »

What Derek said too :)

ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

I can take a lot of kidding, just like God I hope. I also want to say that some of you seem to have the impression that this was my first time out with my 26X, it wasnt. It was my first time out in very rough conditions though with it. As for what number 5 should be was add switches to each individual Nav equipment on my buss. I had the darn Auto Pilot beepingat me during the whole second time out because the flux compass is not working or connected right. I was going to go under the cockpit where I have the buss to pull the fuse for it but I am closterphobic and get sea sick when I dont have any visual refrence when moving. Now the whole buss has a switch but if I turned that one off I would have lost all nav equipment so I just let it beep at me. My wife got sick because she had a pre-exsisting sinus alergy going on without telling me.

Now I do have some things on this boat I havent used yet so maybe Dawgs you can go with me and show me how to use them. One is this spinniker never had one on my sailing kayak. It has a pole to it to so it might be a racing one I dont know.
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

I ment Bawdy not Dawgs.
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

Now thats Bawgy not Bawdy, its late I need to go to bed.