Adding slugs to the factory main sail.

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
deja_vu
Chief Steward

Post by deja_vu »

Thanks for posting with the grommets, very nice looking. Anyone got any pics of how to install grommets on your own? That would pretty much make the thread complete for both methods.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

deja_vu wrote:Thanks for posting with the grommets, very nice looking. Anyone got any pics of how to install grommets on your own? That would pretty much make the thread complete for both methods.
Contact these folks:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/gromsnap.html

They have all the tools and supplies, and they can quickly tell you how to do it. Basically you use a special anvil and a punch... and the two, when hammered together with a grommet assembly between them will do the job nicely. There's also pliers but they don't work nearly as well and your hands will be aching by day's end. Oh, and Spur Grommets work best and last longer.
johnnyonspot
First Officer

Post by johnnyonspot »

IMHO the slugs from sailrite with the screws that go through immediately aft of the boltrope work perfectly fine. Grommets are, in my experience, a real PITA to install and, per above, unnecessary. I guess if you are out in heavy winds a lot they might be better, but for the conditions mkost of us sail in the standard screw-through slugs are fine. They are extremely easy to install, taking all of an hour, if that. Two feet spacing is what I used. Installed them before last season and they worked great, and are still going strong with no damage to the sail or performance issues. Slugs are an absolute must if you are storing the main on the boom and do not want to completely remove the luff from the mast track. Indeed, with slugs you need not remove the luff from the track until the season is over--assuming you are in a slip.

Aside: do not get the stopper that inserts at the bottom of the track where the slugs enter. It will inevitably come lose, fall on the deck, and roll into the water. Just use some line or a bungee wrapped around the mast to secure the slugs from sliding out of the track.
trip01
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Adding slugs to the factory main sail.

Post by trip01 »

Fellow Mac Folk,

I plan to install sail slugs to the main for easy hoisting. I have some questions regarding this.

1. The screws that hold the plastic shackles. Do I need to pre drill or heat melt the sail prior to screwing?
2. Slug size?
3. I am interested in the method of raising & lowering the main from the cockpit as per quote below. Any photos or input please. :idea:

Report this postReply with quoteAdding slugs to the factory main sail.
by Obelix » Fri May 30, 2008 1:25 pm

To be able to raise and lower the main from the cockpit, I want to add slugs to the luff on my 2008 .
How many slugs are needed and at what distance from each other should they be mounted?

As always, thank you for your insights.
Thank you to previous posters on this matter. 8)

Kind Rgds
Dave

08 26M
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

Dave,

My slugs came with screws. I just screwed them right through the sail material just inside the bolt rope. Works fine. Others have installed grommets instead of taking the screws through the material.

As for leading the halyard back to the cockpit. The original owner of my boat did it. But you will need to add some turning blocks to the base of your mast and then out towards the stanchion somewhere to line up with your cleat/clutch at the front end of your cockpit. There will be quite a bit of tension/pressure on these blocks so they will need to be pretty secure. I have seen some that were able to attach blocks to their mast base which keeps you from having to drill holes in your deck. And the outer blocks can be attached to the stanchion...once again this prevents holes from being drilled.

Here is a pic showing my blocks. The halyard is the blue line. I have two single (flexible/rotatable) blocks at the base of the mast and a double fixed block to turn the lines back to the cockpit. The reason for two/double blocks is that one line is the halyard and the other blue line is the "haul down" which I use to pull the main down. The blocks at the base of my mast are just screwed into the fiberglass deck and one screw has pulled loose. I will be repairing this by changing out the screws for bolts/washers/nuts and will access the under side via the area above the head...I think I can remove that wooden plate above the dagger board and remove the foam to access the under side of those bolts.

And in the cockpit the blue halyard runs through a v-cleat next to the winch then over the front coaming (just to the right of the companionway) to a simple horn cleat. I don't have fancy clutches. The boat came this way and I am very happy with the set-up.

I am sure there will be some others posting some pics and descriptions of their set-ups. But bottom line is that sail slugs and lines led to the cockpit are a HUGE safety and convenience issue for me since I single-hand a lot and this keeps me from having to go up on deck to raise/lower the sail. And if this is your goal...don't forget lazy jacks:

Roller Furling and Lazy Jacks

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim
Hardcrab
Captain
Location: "Cease-fire", White 05 M, 90hp, Boggy Bayou, Niceville, FL

Post by Hardcrab »

As to using the screws into the sail, I read somewhere to use a small tipped soldering iron to make the small hole for the screws.
Worked really well for me.
The daycron threads "sealed" themselves with the heat, providing no chance to wrap up some dacron threads along with the screw.
Pretty slick, but evidently not fully required, as per c130king.
mikelinmon
First Officer

Post by mikelinmon »

Marine Mkt has a filler for the sailtrack, costs ??, easy to install and now you can lower tha sail all the way. If you must use slugs (not recommended due to the opening/gap created in the sail just at the point of max pressure diff.) but needed by some folks, get on of these filler plates, don't know what they call it.
Mike Inmon
bubba
Captain
Location: Richland,WA Columbia River Lake Wallula "INSPIRATION" w/70 suz. 9' Merc dingy

Post by bubba »

When you add the slides, do you move the mast edge bottom corner ring of the main sail just below the slides aft about 2 inches on the boom to adjust for the sail being moved aft about 2 inches because of adding the slides ? I find my boom outhall 2 inches short to adjust.
atzserv
Engineer

Post by atzserv »

Bubba, To help answer your question about the slides making the sail a little aft I saw on BYW that they sell a twisted shackle for that purpose.

TWISTED TACK SHACKLE

Notes: 3/16" TWISTED SHACKLE FOR MAINSAIL TACK ON FRONT END OF BOOM. ALLOWS SAIL TACK TO BE MOVED AFT TO ACCOUNT FOR ADDITIONAL SETBACK CAUSED BY ADDING SAIL SLIDES.

I hope this is the answer to what you were reffering to. At least I felt like I finally knew an answer to a question, heh heh

Gary

PS. I also hope BYW doesn't get angry with me copying this info from their parts list.
bubba
Captain
Location: Richland,WA Columbia River Lake Wallula "INSPIRATION" w/70 suz. 9' Merc dingy

Post by bubba »

Thanks Atzserv I guess I didn't read that info and BWY's didn't put a twisted shakle on our boat we bought from them with sail slides added.
trip01
Engineer

Post by trip01 »

Thanks gents for your replies. Very informative. Will surely help other's in their searches as well.

Going up to boat bits shop tomorrow morning for a big spend up.

Led bulbs, Boom sheet blocks, using old as boom vang, deck wash pump...

Is the slug size 9mm (3/8) or 12mm (7/16) ? :?: I'm am thinking 12mm

Kind Rgds
Dave
trip01
Engineer

Post by trip01 »

The distance apart for these slugs ranges from 12" to 24" as per replies.

What are the pro's & con's for closer together 12" :?:
& then for 24" :?:

Kind Rgds
Dave
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

The issue would be how many slugs get stacked up together when reefed...and how "big" the folds will be when flaked.

If you have too many slugs they will all stack up when reefing the main and could interfere with a nice reef. Too few and the folds of your flaked sail will be very large.

There are probably other issues. But it also probably boils down to personal preference. The main that came with my boat when when I bought it already had slugs and I was happy with the amount/height of stacked slugs when reefing and with the size of the folds when flaked. So when I bought my new main I just laid it over my old main and put new slugs on the new sail at the same points I had slugs on the old sail...and I didn't measure it.

Split the difference? 18"??? I think I have read several that said 15".

Good Luck,
Jim
mikelinmon
First Officer

Post by mikelinmon »

Don't forget, two close space at top.
Mike Inmon
Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix »

I fabricated a gate for the mast opening, using 1/8 thick aluminum sheet that I bend slightly and then feathered the edge to the mast strack. The slugs move by without any problem to get the sail completely down or when reefed.

obelix