Improve V Berth and Reupholster cabin seats

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
mjpurdyca
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Improve V Berth and Reupholster cabin seats

Post by mjpurdyca »

We are noticing that:
1. the cabin seats and seat backs in our 2002 26X are becoming more uncomfortable as the foam is deteriorating. As well the fabric is becoming worn.
2. The V berth is also not as comfortable as it could be. Several years ago we added 2 layers of foam but the whole arrangement just begs for a mod.
I checked the mods lists but did not see any place where an owner had redone the seats, seat backs and v berth (mattress) to make them more comfortable for longer trips (3-5 weeks) It's now the fall equinox and the nights are longer, the bums are sorer due to sitting on these seats longer and the backs are more tender due to sleeping etc on these longer nights.

Mike and Diane Purdy on JEDARO :macx:

PS. We are now moored in the Kingston ON Confederation Basin and will continue to sail around the Thousand Islands for the next week or so. Then our plan is to motor through the Rideau Canal back to Ottawa and put JEDARO to bed for the winter.
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Re: Improve V Berth and Reupholster cabin seats

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro »

We replaced all the horizontal foam (except the aft berth) a number of years back. We went to a much firmer 3" foam. I used the old foam as a pattern and at the time and put the new in the same covers. We did not do the seat back foam.

Since then we have made two more changes.

While the vee berth foam is much better with the stiff foam that you do not bottom out with, we found we wanted a softer top. We simply bought a queen size memory foam topper that has a zip off cover and tapered it in the knee down area to fit the shape. Note that we sleep with our vee berth extended out over the forward dinette seat so it didn't need to be tapered as much as it would if you only use the factory length vee berth.

We also have replaced all the seat and back covers with an ultra leather set. The were bought pre-sewn for the X at http://www.boatbimini.com. We also used their replacement carpet set. We finished up the interior update with new curtains and pillows.

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M »

Duane Dunn, Allegro wrote: We simply bought a queen size memory foam topper that has a zip off cover and tapered it in the knee down area to fit the shape.
I really like that idea of putting some memory foam on top of the cushions.

Thanks for posting that.

Phil M
Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East »

I replaced my foam with 3 inch thick closed cell extra hard from foam sweet foam this summer.

I no longer bring inflatables to make beds (up to 6 needed) so that really saved me some space.

Ill probably do the cockpit cushions this winter, with sunbrella covers, to make the cockpit a sleeping area too.
Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Post by Erik Hardtle »

We added 4 inch memory / normal foam and cut to shape too. My Admiral sleeps much better now. You can see the whole mod on my website.

KayakDan
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Apple Valley,Ohio, ........... 2006 26M "Spice" Honda 50

Post by KayakDan »

Another option to consider is the Froli system. It allows for better air circulation ,and it's very comfortable. Also nice is the ability to adjust firmness in different areas.
It is a bit pricey,as I recall it was $212 for our M,but,as we plan to spend a lot of nights on the boat(4 months per year),we considered it a long term investment. We used the Froli under the stock cushions and it's great.
http://www.frolisleepsystems.com/
Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Post by Paul S »

what we do to make it a bit more comfortable is to put the cockpit cushions under the cabin cushions. It is free and you don't have to carry anything else!
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

I recent replaced aft berth and seats on my 26X. Used 3 inch thick foam density 2.0 lb/ft and ILD 36lb for berths, seats did the same except used 50lb ILD.
Very comfort for us but we also use a 1 inch camping topper for transum berth from this company.
We lay the inch topper on top of the aft berths and sheet it.
foambymail.com

Cost us under $175 for everything and shipping was cheap. We didn't do backrest.
Ideal would be 2.6 density but you would have to pay much more and we sleep very well in our old age fussy sleepers. you won't bottom out.(I weigh 225 lbs)
Cut the foam with those extended cut off knives found at hardware store as you need at least a 2-3 inch razor like blade. Use old foam as pattern and outline it with felt pen.
Dave

mjpurdyca wrote:We are noticing that:
1. the cabin seats and seat backs in our 2002 26X are becoming more uncomfortable as the foam is deteriorating. As well the fabric is becoming worn.
2. The V berth is also not as comfortable as it could be. Several years ago we added 2 layers of foam but the whole arrangement just begs for a mod.
I checked the mods lists but did not see any place where an owner had redone the seats, seat backs and v berth (mattress) to make them more comfortable for longer trips (3-5 weeks) It's now the fall equinox and the nights are longer, the bums are sorer due to sitting on these seats longer and the backs are more tender due to sleeping etc on these longer nights.

Mike and Diane Purdy on JEDARO :macx:

PS. We are now moored in the Kingston ON Confederation Basin and will continue to sail around the Thousand Islands for the next week or so. Then our plan is to motor through the Rideau Canal back to Ottawa and put JEDARO to bed for the winter.
rygobus

Post by rygobus »

In good sam magazine the sleep number people advertise custom made beds for rv s . They are comfy with a memory foam topper !
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

We put camping pads under the forward berth and then put 2" memory foam on top. It seems comfortable for a couple of nights but longer than that and I begin to wish I had just a little more padding! I really like the idea of putting 4" memory foam on top! I would worry a bit about the extra height since I often bump my head now!
waternwaves
Admiral
Location: X less in North Puget Sound -have to sail other boats for a while

Post by waternwaves »

We bought the costco queen size memory foam,

Trimmed to fit the V, had enough to make a few small pillows also. Hghly recommended But, make yourself a bag to carry it to the boat. WE like it so much, we move it to the Hunter when we have guests on that boat also.
Ivan Awfulitch
First Officer

Post by Ivan Awfulitch »

I agree that a replacement set of covers from Softopper will fix the seat cushion problem. I have their cockpit cushions and carpet, and Bob's work is fantastic. He can also help you out with foam if you can't find a distributor nearby. We'll probably be changing our interior cushion covers in the next year or two.

http://www.softopper.com/MacGregor_Inte ... tails.aspx

As for the sleeping, we use those cheap twin size foam mattress pads from Walmart for the aft berth. As we're both 6' +, we don't use the v-berth. Simply cut to fit, and much more comfortable.
pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 »

How much is Costco queen sized memory foam? That's sounds like a great idea. What I did was order a second set of cushion from the factory for the aft berth, which I added to the originals and that made a world of difference - -- that's where I slept. Cost about $65-$75, I don't remember.

For the V berth, no one ever slept there - - - I just used it for storage, so I hung a small poly rope across the top and made a hanging locker and then hung clothes there to hide what I was storing.

Rick :( :macm: Less in Las Vegas
mjpurdyca

Post by mjpurdyca »

Thanks to all of you who replied. A couple of things have happened since my first post.

1. Diane was able to sleep better after a 3 or 4 nights in the berth. When we were in a marina with wi-fi she looked at the comments and went to the links. She is a problem solver and I believe we will remove the 2 layers of foam and the original mats in the V berth and use memory foam with possibly a froli system if there is still discomfort. There will also be a single pad across the seat and extender so we can sleep higher and away from the bow. Our feet will not get as cold during the 10 Celsius nights and the hips might be better as well as a more stable platform as we have to exit multi times for head visits during the nights.

2. We had been discussing selling the boat since when we purchased Jedaro in 2002 it was agreed on to keep it for 5 years. Siince then we have sailed and motored in the following areas of Ontario: Rideau and Trent Canal systems, 30 000 Islands in Georgian Bay (35 days and our best trip for scenery and interest), North Channel using Killarney as a base-beautiful scenery), Thousand Islands both the US and Canadian sides (5 times), Ottawa to Montreal, upper Ottawa River (beautiful), and kept the boat at our cottage on a small lake with many islands each summer for afternoon sails etc.
This trip, partly because of the weather we spent time moored at Kingston's Confederation Basin and did a couple of sailing expeditions and attended a writer's conference, walked around Kingston and Ganoque when we were moored there. We would moor at the islands for 2 or 3 days then come in for showere, charge batteries etc. She liked the more relaxed pace when we would moor at about 2 or 3 pm and have time for reading exploring etc before it got dark at 7 pm.

One night I showed her Duane Dunn's webpage with all his mods together, his improved mods and his log. She spent at least 1 1/2 hours looking at mod's showing some to me, one's that I had seen but thought were neat but.... She became keener on the trip and what we could do to Jedaro and the discussion began to change to maybe making upgrades and selling the boat next summer after our spring trip.

:idea: hit me like a ton of bricks. We went to Duane's log of his trip where he took his wife, three kids and his oldest son's friend on a trip plus their two dogs. We went back and looked at his mods and were amazed at how he was able to make Allegro manageable and relatively efficient for so many. We on the other hand were in a Mac26 with 2 other adults with both ladies having numerous 'hot flashes'-and no enclosure. The boat seemed small.
:idea: Why not have more MacGregor owners who have web pages post them on the discussion board and 'on the links' page so that sailors who have made mods for 5, 4,3 or 2 trippers can show how they customized their boat for their numbers and sailing style.

Looking at some of the links has made Diane keener on more mods and has renewed interest in the boat and trips. Maybe it might help others where one sailor is more interested in the experience of MacGregor sailing.

Mike Purdy
Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East »

When I bought Catigale in 2002 I was getting the bimini, but Bernice Reiders talked me into the full enclosure (which was really affordable back then - about 1500 USD)

A few years later, taking as many as 6 to the Cape for a week, I cant imagine even two of us cruising without an enclosure

- cockpit is a great master bedroom
- showers are easy in private
- no condensation in morning
- lots of place to eat dinner
- good anchor watch place in bad weather

During the day we fold up the sides, leave the bimini and connector in - the boat can be left open and everything stays dry, even if it rains.