Macgregor Sailor's Map Tutorial

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Macgregor Sailor's Maps

Post by Hamin' X » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 am

Two new maps have been created for Macgregor Sailors. Well, one is an older map that I have rejuvenated.

The first one is sort of a membership map. Where is your boat located?

Macgregor Sailor's Map

This next one is for places that you think would be of interest to Mac sailors. Share some of your local knowledge.

Macgregor Sailor's Places & Anchorages

Anyone may view these maps, but you must have a Google account and be logged in to edit the maps.

~Rich

c130king
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Macgregor Sailor's Maps

Post by c130king » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Rich,

How do you edit the map to update the info on our boat? I can't find a link/button to get to the edit functionality.

Thanks,
Jim

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for re-posting that, Rich. I've added a couple of good ramps.

Cheers!

c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 pm

kmclemore wrote:
c130king wrote:Rich,

How do you edit the map to update the info on our boat? I can't find a link/button to get to the edit functionality.

Thanks,
Jim
"To add a place to the map, first sign in to your Google account, click the edit button above, navigate to the place you'd like to mark, then click the inverted teardrop on the top of the map. Click your place and then edit your entry. Add your macgregorsailors username so we know who you are and can PM you with questions about your sailing location."
I did sign in with my Google account...but I didn't see any edit button. I will try from home tonight and see if I can figure this out again. I am on there but my data is out of date.

Thanks,
Jim

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 pm

I went back and re-edited my response to make things clearer, hopefully.

See images below for pointers to the right places to look:

Image Image

Now, to paraphrase RIch's instructions...
  • To add a place to the map, first sign in to your Google account
  • Go to the map of your choice:
    • Macgregor Sailor's Places & Anchorages <--- Use this one ONLY for posting nice places to anchor, sail or launch
    • Macgregor Sailor's Map <--- Use this one ONLY for posting where your boat is located or your home port and perhaps a pic of your boat
      (Folks seem to be mixing up the purposes of these two maps - if you've posted something wrong on the map, please go fix it? Thanks!)
  • Click the "Edit" button at the top of the left menu. (see first picture, above)
  • Navigate to the place you'd like to mark, then click the blue inverted teardrop on the top of the map. (see second picture, above)
  • Click your place (which will deposit the inverted teardrop on the map) and then edit your entry, giving a logical title and a good description of the place.
  • Add your macgregorsailors username so we know who you are and can PM you with questions about your sailing location.
  • Click "Save" to save your place to the map.
  • If you have more places to add, continue to add teardrops, as above.
  • When finished, click "Done" and it will save the map.

kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:09 pm

As noted, some folks have added 'nice places' to the "Mac Sailors Map"... please go back and move those to the "Places & Anchorages" map?

The "Mac Sailors Map" is supposed to only be so we can find where all the owners (or their boats) are.

Thanks, guys.

mrbillfll
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by mrbillfll » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Mind if I share this with some other macgregor boards?

fwiw, once you log in to your gmail acct, and click Edit, 3 boxes appear on the map -the blue marker in the middle is what you want, to set a point of interest.... click that..... Then move the cursor to where you want it.... (it looks hidden, when I click it).

a dialog box will open and type in your details there. save.

stay out of the text messages to the left.
and press save and done.

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Question - how do I substitute my "blue teardrop" with a nice little sailboat or anchor?
Amazing how many sailboats on there! (And the computer takes a long time to update because of all of that data! Gotta be patient!) :wink:

And I agree with all previous posters, that we need a special "S" and "D" icon, and V-nn icons too... Not fair that there's an M, X, and 19 only... :P

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:38 pm

A few pointers for the folks. If you have placed a point on the map, click on the title in the left column and make sure that you have it placed correctly. Some folks have their boats in mid Atlantic, or in the Northwest Territories.

To change your icon, click on your current icon and thin click on the icon that appears in a box (upper right corner), then click on my icons and a bunch of special icons will appear.

You can add a picture, or link by clicking on Rich text.

Some folks make their boat name the title and some their screen name. I prefer the screen name, but which ever, make sure your screen name appears somewhere in the description, or title.

Please be careful, as you can move, or edit anyone's entry. It is easy to move an icon by accident. I will attempt to make a copy of the map data every week, or so. This way, if the map gets totally biffed (and it will), I can restore most of the data.

Have fun,
~Rich

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Macgregor Sailor's Map Tutorial

Post by vizwhiz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks!

Sparksvonrou
Just Enlisted

Post by Sparksvonrou » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for a nice idea and great map! I have posted some things for info around the Erie Pennsylvania Harbor, Presque Isle, and east of Erie on Lake Erie.
Be safe.
Sparks

pmmcderm
Deckhand

Post by pmmcderm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Awesome idea, thanks! So far, I'm the only one out in the middle of the Pacific, but I know of at least 4 other Macs out here.

Whipsyjac
First Officer
Location: White Rock, B.C. 96 26X Hull#486 96Merc ELPT 50HP 4 Stroke

Post by Whipsyjac » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Just added 3 places in Pacific Northwest. Come on guys add some cool places in the Southern Gulf Islands and San Juans for me to check out! Gater Dunn, Wind Chime, Kittiwake, Terry please share.

Thanks and enjoy,

Willy

cptron
Captain
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:27 am

I know of quite a few Mac's in SE corner of North Carolina that need to add their information to these maps. Lets all contribute to this tool. Its a wonderful way of sharing our great places of discovery with others.
Thanks,

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 am

With all due respect...it's not clear at all how to add yourself. 8)