How to make it snow

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Chinook
Admiral

How to make it snow

Post by Chinook »

I think I've stumbled on a way to make it snow. Granted, the set of observations I'm basing my conclusion on is rather limited (just two seasons), however, the data is compelling. Here's the evidence; you be the judges. Last winter, in late February, I removed my winter boat cover (heavy duty tarp supported by a pvc pipe framework). This was done in preparation for our March 2 departure for our Bahamas cruise. It hadn't snowed in weeks, and here in Leavenworth, our snowy period generally ends by late February. You guessed it, as soon as that cover came off it started snowing. Between 3 and 6 inches each day for a full week. I was out there every day with my electric leaf blower, clearing snow off the boat so we could proceed with preparations for our trip. Now, skip ahead to this winter. I've made arrangements with BWY to repower our boat. After10 years of loyal service, I'm planning to replace our Nissan 50hp TLDI with a brand spanking new Suzuki 60 hp 4 stroke. Todd has requested that I bring the boat over in February or March, before he gets really busy commissioning new boats and getting other boats ready for the upcoming boating season. This is a bit challenging for me, since I have to remove my winter boat cover and tow it across the Cascades to his shop. We've had a strange winter this year. Two periods of substantial snow fall, but most weeks have been free of storms. We haven't seen a flake for weeks around here. Yesterday I removed the cover and pulled the old motor. I'm planning on towing over the mountains tomorrow morning. Guess what. I look out my window this morning and it's snowing. My conclusion, the act of removing my winter boat cover is somehow intertwined with the forces of weather which produce snow here in Leavenworth. I'm curious to know if any of you out there, who store your boats under cover in snowy regions, have experienced the same phenomenon.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: How to make it snow

Post by Tomfoolery »

Having had the same experience with snow throwers, snow tires, and backup generators, I'm afraid to take the cover off mine. I need to work in there, so I sneak in through the back, buttoning it back up when I'm done, but no way I'm taking it off to find out. Hardly any snow this year, compared to the 100" or so that's normal, so I'm not tempting the fates. :D
robbarnes1965
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: (BYC)Montreal, Qc Macgregor 26m-2007 "Miss Coco" - after my daughter, 50hp Honda

Post by robbarnes1965 »

could be worse. This pic is from somewhere in Europe - Venice area I think but I could be wrong. Making Montreal look warm...
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
vkmaynard
Admiral
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard »

Like this.. home made snow gun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIZAg51kLrs

We let it fly one year and had 20 kids playing in our front yard :)
bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac »

You are describing a phenomena which in our corner of the world (Sub tropical) manifests itself differently......plan to go boating (26X)....hook up and put aboard all the bits and pieces..........and it starts raining and lately around here Australian East coast rainfall appears to measured in NOT mere inches or millimetres BUT in half metres ie 500millimetres....and rivers,bays etc are not much fun with flood associated debrie,logs,dead livestock....shipping containers,hundreds of metres of floating concrete walkways....all that aside when my wife saw pictures of your type of climate she started shivering....and hey it's a balmy 20 odd degrees C here
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

We had friends that wanted to visit us from Perth several years ago (when we still had lots of snow!). They wanted desperately to come in the heart of our winter because (they said) everything looked sooo pretty in the x-mas cards. We had to put our foot down and tell them they were CRAZY!!!, and when they finally visited us in the middle of summer we couldn't get them to go swimming with us in the cottage lake because the water was tooo cold...
Pfwaah! :?
No way I'm taking my cover off yet either.....
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

and rivers,bays etc are not much fun with flood associated debrie,logs,dead livestock....shipping containers,hundreds of metres of floating concrete walkways
Things must be really different down there - your concrete floats :o
pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 »

No comprende putting a cover on a boat in winter - - - - why :?: :?: :?: it's 62 degrees :!: :!: :!: :P

Rick
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

pokerrick1 wrote:No comprende putting a cover on a boat in winter - - - - why :?: :?: :?: it's 62 degrees :!: :!: :!: :P

Rick
Hey Rick ..out here we don't sniff snow up our nostrils we shovel it :D :D :D :D :D :D
Q1
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Québec 1 wrote:
pokerrick1 wrote:No comprende putting a cover on a boat in winter - - - - why :?: :?: :?: it's 62 degrees :!: :!: :!: :P

Rick
Hey Rick ..out here we don't sniff snow up our nostrils we shovel it :D :D :D :D :D :D
Q1
62 degrees eh? Somebody's sure shoveling something! :P
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

Diddo Mike,

I've been getting the boat ready to drive down to the Florida Keys 8)
I won't bother to call it a vacation because all I've been doing is planning various boat mods to start and do while down there :P

While this has been the tamest winter in sometime for NY, snow is coming tonight. Not a lot, just enough to be annoying; & make me shift gears to packing :x

So now I'm stuffing all I can into the boat so that I won't be able to find it while down in Florida, come Monday :?
bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac »

Things must be really different down there - your concrete floats
Probably requires an explanation......hollow concrete floating walkways installed along the Brisbane River...all broke away in the flood and out into Moreton Bay
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Hey Gazman,

Have a great trip down in the Keys. It's wonderful to be able to tow your boat 20 degrees of lattitude to the south this time of year and bask in the subtropics. By the way, that Plastimo water tank you sold me is working great. Be sure and post some updates on your cruise.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

This happens every time I put a roof on :(