Best battery for a trolling motor on a Dinghy?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Best battery for a trolling motor on a Dinghy?

Post by Catigale »

My kids have been pull starting the Nissan 4HP since they were 9 or 10....if a small engine isn't starting in one or two pulls its needs work or maintenance. Fresh gas, new plug, lay it up each winter by draining carb etc....

If you got a cheapie on eBay, it might be low compression which is a bigger fix of course.
Crikey
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Catigale wrote:My kids have been pull starting the Nissan 4HP since they were 9 or 10....if a small engine isn't starting in one or two pulls its needs work or maintenance. Fresh gas, new plug, lay it up each winter by draining carb etc....

If you got a cheapie on eBay, it might be low compression which is a bigger fix of course.
Or... you've dunked it! :D
aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 »

I don't know why the honda is so hard to pull start, seems to be the nature of the mini beast, They do start right up, but you have to give it a good hard pull to get past the compression I guess. Karen can pull start it, but took some practice in the back yard for her to get the drill down. The Honda has a little pull handle too, and if your hands are wet, it will slip from your fingers some times.

My little 4hp evinrude with twin cyl. 2 stroke is real easy to pull start. That little engine has a forward and reverse shifter too. Runs smooth as silk too with the 2 cyl. although the pistons are probably the size of thimbles. But doesn't get the millage of the Honda. None of my little motors will out run a pesky white shark, so dont paint cute pix's of a seal on the bottom of your dink :D

I have pull started the suz. before and its ok. All the engines we talked about here will do the job with a fully loaded dink. When you get into the 4-5 hp, and above you start getting into other problems, like weight and noise. I rarely run the Honda or evinrude at full throttle, even when we go sight seeing in the dink, and that's another reason to get a small gas motor, we sometimes will take the dink fishing (trolling)or sight seeing and the gas motors will practically run all day on their little tank of gas. With an electric you have a couple hours then its recharge time. That's hard to do, if your moored some where without elec.

There are some cheap chinese 2 hp motors out there, and they will do the job too. But the used market for the name brand stuff is pretty good, that's where I would go if looking for a motor. Dink motors are used only a few times a year, and if they were taken care of will last many many years. With an electric motor in that time you already replaced the battery a couple times.

One thing to do with the gas engines is run them out of gas before you put them up for the season, same with generators, just turn the gas off and run them till they die. dump and put fresh gas in them before you use them again. The 4 strokes I change the oil too, before getting them ready for the season.
Mike
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

aya16 wrote:....One thing to do with the gas engines is run them out of gas before you put them up for the season, same with generators, just turn the gas off and run them till they die. dump and put fresh gas in them before you use them again. The 4 strokes I change the oil too, before getting them ready for the season.
Mike
Also look and see if there is a screw on the bottom side of the float bowl. If it is there run the outboard till it dies with the gas turned off and then remove the screw and you will probably get a little more gas out of the bottom of the bowl and you won't have to worry about it gunking things up,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
fouz
First Officer

Post by fouz »

http://www.amazon.com/Powerstar-Group-C ... B0006VCCMW

Maybe what your looking for?
Shipping Weight: 35 pounds.
Dimensions: L=7.7XW=5.1 H= 6.5
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Sums post on the fuel bowl......

This is a good thing to know how to do on the water...if you get water in your fuel you can dump the fuel bowl into a small cup and retank with fresh gas.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Catigale wrote:Sums post on the fuel bowl......

This is a good thing to know how to do on the water...if you get water in your fuel you can dump the fuel bowl into a small cup and retank with fresh gas.
Yes that is a good point. If water accumulates at the bottom of the bowl like you are talking about the gas floats on top of it and then if the water gets high enough the main jet that supplies most of the fuel is in the water and the engine doesn't like trying to run on straight water 8) .

We run a...

...filter/water separator combo on the 9.8 HP, but the 3 1/2 HP has an internal tank so that isn't possible. Also the water problem has increased with ethanol in the fuel.

If you have one of these outboards and it starts dying as you give it throttle one of the first things I'd do is drain the fuel bowl, like Cat suggested,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
uanhanlouee
Deckhand

Post by uanhanlouee »

Where did you get that 4hp 2S Evinrude? Those motors run smooth. I was looking for one and gave up. Have gone through several small 4 stroke engines and the sssshhhshsshhshsaaaaaakkkkkeeee so much they make your steering arm hurt. One of them felt like it would rip the stern off. I remember those 4hp 2strokes that is a sweet running motor. Can\t find them anymore. I know people have them and won't sell em at any price.

I gave up on those electric motors. They are too heavy and have lousy range. Plus, they won't push you against 12 mph wind at all. The continuous charging of the battery and hauling that 50# battery is PITA
aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 »

Hi, Im always looking for stuff, I just ran into my 4hp 2s on ebay one day. Of course the guy selling it asured me before I bought it, that it ran perfect....he was right. Jonson has the same engine, except white, theres a few on ebay now, but they look a little ruff.

The engine is unique and really is a sweet motor, it has a forward\ reverse switch and is water cooled. 2 cyl, makes it run like a sewing machine. Its very light, easy to pull start...ohh and we can still get parts for it. I changed the water pump, and think it cost about 15 bucks or so.

I see another one for sale, the johnson version, ill buy it, as long as its in good shape.

mike