How to Install a larger 90+ HP Motor

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: How to Install a larger 90+ HP Motor

Post by beene »

I installed wedges on my 75 as the transom of the M does not provide enough negative angle to allow you to get the bow down enough during high speed planing.

With the wedges, if I trim all the way down, then trim up just a bit...
speed goes down
spray goes up
cant see where i am going while seated

all bad things...

G
vkmaynard
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard »

David you may want to look at Bill Penny's M with the ETech 90 with the smaller cowling. You can ride on his boat and ours to hear the difference in noise/vibration (if any) and see the difference in access before you make your final decision.

Grab a wetsuit if you want to wakeboard or water ski :)

Power = power. Just prop the boat for the correct power curve.

Victor
Octaman
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Octaman »

Hello David,
That is a great idea to make a video of the instal.
As for engine choice for the M you may want to check out this thread
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =9&t=17285
if you have not already been throught it. It may help you decide on the most suitable outboard for the M and it may highlight some points in your process of installing.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy your Mac - it's a great little boat!
And this forum has some great people on it!
Happy power sailing.
Octaman 8)
uanhanlouee
Deckhand

Post by uanhanlouee »

Try Spray Rails. They will deflect the water to the side and down. Most powerboats have the designed into the hull but they do sell them. Newer high speed offshore sailboats have them.
aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 »

David I think the key to have the dealer install is twofold, it helps if the dealer sold you the motor and the other, and more important is never ask the dealer, "If he would install the motor even if mac states they only recommend a 60hp".

Our boats are not rated for any restricted hp, due to the size of the boat, but a dealer won’t install something he thinks is un safe. So the dealer is not the person to have a debate over the size hp mac can take.

Number one, if a mac owner has any doubts about the mac being able to handle extra hp, then he should not install the bigger motor, he should not look to the dealer of the outboard to convince you its safe. You either believe it or don’t do it.

If an outboard dealer asks you what the rating is for the boat for hp, the last thing you tell the dealer is mac only recommends a 60, just say it has no rating. The motor dealer isn’t stupid, he just doesn’t want to put something on your boat, he thinks you can’t handle, and it feels to him you are setting him up for a law suit if something happens.

Never take a debate of whether a boat is safe or not for any work he may do for you. He won’t debate he just won’t do the work, and I don’t blame him. My boat engine was installed by my motor dealer; my boat insurance is covered by the auto club with them knowing I have a 115hp motor. Why? I didn’t bring either into a debate about hp and mac.

Let’s get something straight, no one here nor do I, recommends any one put a bigger motor on your mac. It’s all on those that may want to do it; sure we talk it up, tell how we did it, and even recommend a certain engine, but I’m not taking any responsibility to your boat or if anything happens.

Like a gun you don’t put one in someone’s hands that doesn’t have a clue about them, if someone doesn’t have enough experience with a boat and motor, how they perform and the limitations of them, then those people need to get some stick time before they put more power on your mac. No ballast, sharp turn could be deadly to a mac loaded with people, and that’s with a 50, if you made that maneuver with a 90 or bigger its worse.

I have been around enough to see lots of stupid boat things, one is to put your boat in the hands of a bunch of drinking teens pushing the limit of your boat, you are responsible, not the motor dealer, not the guys on a message board, and certainly not mac.....but lawyers don’t see it that way.

Anyone thinking of putting a bigger engine on the mac, better be a safe, considerate, and responsible boater, before they jump in and hurt someone or themselves....In other words that goes for any boat. Sadly one bad boater can wreck every ones day in the mac world.

There are so many people talking about larger engines I felt compelled to write this, so far it looks like the guys that have already done the upgrade, are responsible and know what they got into before they did it. But odds are some wing nut is going to do it, and all of us will go down with him when he does something stupid. It’s not going to be the engine it’s going to be the actions of the wing nut, but the stupid actions will be blamed on the engine, installer, the message board, and mac.

one reason I wrote this is that some are talking about things with the mac out of my comfort zone, Just mine, not saying they are good or bad things but, none the less not comfortable with.

I also recommend that any one putting more power on their boat upgrade the way the mast is held up,either use one of my secure holds, or do something else to make sure the mast doesnt come down at 25mph from bouncing around. when ever we tweek the performance we also have to upgrade other things so they dont fail.

Ok uncle Mike has wrote the big o disclaimer.......
davidbourne
Chief Steward

Post by davidbourne »

Octaman, I've seen that thread and learned a lot from it. Thanks for the link. I assume you like your Suzuki 100.

Mike, I appreciate the disclaimer and I plan to put one in the video.

Victor, I will call you about your offer and I think looking at the Etec is a great idea.

Spray rails could make sense, too. All in good time.
vkmaynard
Admiral
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard »

Billy Penny, Billy ("XX") said they would be happy to give you a ride on Jordan. You would actually get to try a larger block Suzuki 140 X, a medium block Suzuki DF90A X and an Etech 90 M all in one day. What a deal.

All three of us would not consider a smaller motor after "crossing to the dark side". Billy has run his 140 since 2001 without incident.

Call in advance.

Victor
davidbourne
Chief Steward

Post by davidbourne »

Victor,

With that kind of line up, I guess we have to do a video on "Macs with Big Motors" too.

Thanks again for the offers. I'm really looking forward to it, and I will call first. I still have to register my boat this week!

Best,

DB