generator locker idea

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
csm
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

generator locker idea

Post by csm »

I haven't taken precise measurments, but it appears that the dinett under seat storage locker would be a good fit if installed aft of the head, taking advantage of the huge wasted space there. I'm thinking of installing a hatch cover in the forward starboard cockpit and mounting the fiberglass box below. Has an
yone done this or contemplated doing so?
Thanks
chris
csm
First Officer

Re: generator locker idea

Post by csm »

Oh, almost forgot to ask if anyone has a source for a spare storage locker.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

I store my Honda 1000 up front against the veeberth bulkhead. It's not any bother at all and has a cover so it is not very visible.
Keep in mind if looking for a place to actually run the generator, the only place I found where the fumes do get below at anchor is secured to the after most lifeline stanchion with the exhaust pointed back.
If you anchor ass backwards it could go on the cabin top but you'd have to keep the forward hatch closed.

Ixneigh
csm
First Officer

Post by csm »

The locker would be for storage only. In addition to the generator, I'd build it for propane and extra.fuel storage. Having to deal with the hull liner complicates things, so this would not be an easy mod. Probably won't start this any time soon, but it is definitely on my to do list.
fouz
First Officer

Post by fouz »

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1380

This what your thinking of doing?

I have thought about it, but keeping it leak free is a concern.
csm
First Officer

Post by csm »

Fouz,
the concept is the same, using the wasted space, but my thought is to install a commercialy available access hatch AND a fiberglass "box" below. The access hatch would provide the seal to keep weather out of the box, but the box would be sealed from the cabin, keeping fumes/fluids out. I'd run a drain line out the bottom of the box and T into transom well drain hose. I think of this as a "secure" fuel locker, that can be accessed from the cockpit, and locked (via a pin) from below.