ETEC 50 tilt trim problems

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: ETEC 50 tilt trim problems

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

aya16 wrote:I just cant let you do that..... Look take the motor out, test it, see if its rebuidable where you are at. If not check the part number and look here for a replacement.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POWER-TILT- ... 11&vxp=mtr

Thats an example, may not fit your motor, but had like 2474 hits on power trim motors. all around 100 bucks new.
good luck.
Mike
I can't find anything there that resembles the unit on my motor, but that is still very interesting thanks...... Wonder how hard it would be to fit one..........

Yes, will put a new anode on there somewhere thanks..

Paul
aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 »

unless the motor is hopelessly rusted up, all e motors can be rebuilt for a lot less than buying a new one, a shop can also test and let you know whats going on.

The link I sent also has a contact for the guy selling the motors, he may have what you need in stock.

Hope this helps, I did see the guy charges 89 bucks to your down under for shipping, so getting your motor fixed would probably be the way to go with out spending the wife's stash, yep they all have one....
Mike
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

The mechanic did not mention the possiblity of rewinding them, so I assume they dont do it. ETEC mechanics are few and far between here and so this is really my only reasonably close (35 minutes drive) option. Also, the case would probably need replacing, and I reckon they can probably only get the whole motors here, and not parts for them.....

Your idea of ordering through that guy, if he can get the one I need, sure makes sense. I have just been discussing the idea with SWMBO and there are two main issues, firstly, it may not end up being the motor that is the problem, in which case I'll be blowing an extra $150 to get one from the States and secondly, I may find it too complicated and have to go to a dealer to have it installed. He may well refuse if I bring my own which he will know I have got cheap from the States :? mmm what do do.... Looking at it, it looks like it would be simply, 4 screws and joining a coupla wires, but the mechanic said they can be a pain to get the pin out or something (??)

It has conked out in the fully up position. Does anyone know how I go about dropping it a bit to at least rest it on the trailering thingy. Also, based on the photos, can anyone advise me on adding more fluid, or changing fluid - Those two large screws I assume ???

Can see there is an anode in good condition near the motor.
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

As far as adding/checking fluid, look at your first picture and read my first post - top screw is level, bottom right is drain.

Suggest you remove the motor and see if it runs independent of the pump - if not the motor is shot. Also, inspect the motor. Does the armature turn easily? If not, bearings are cheap and available everywhere. Does this motor have brushes, if so, inspect. You can even do a continuity check on the armature (or better yet, look for burnt wires on the armature or melted material). Even if the motor runs, need to sand and repaint the case. If motor runs, start to disassemble the pump (part under the motor). See if something is broken/worn whatever. Nothing about this mechanism is complicated. Worst case, you may need to get some parts - probably new seals at least if you disassemble. Remember, right now, it does not run - what do you have to loose?
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Yes too true, thanks for that, will take a look
aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 »

There should be a pressure release screw somewhere on the tilt, unscrew that and the engine should come down. Not owning an etec, I don't know where it is.
Take the top screw out in your pix, and see if it has fluid. If your not hearing any noise when you activate the tilt switch, then almost positive its the motor.

Like was said already, take the two bolts out from the e motor and unplug it, then on a bench put 12 volts to it, see if it runs by itself.....another thing is check the fuse to the trim motor, should be inside the cowl, that might be your problem.

That trim motor can be rebuilt at any starter motor, alternator type e motor shop, doesn't have to be evinrude. Once the trim motor is out, and it doesn't run when you test it, you found your problem, no need to break into the hydraulics. To test the motor use a car battery and some jumper cables, if it whirrrs that's not your problem unless your fuse blew on the engine??????? So you need to see if your getting power to the wires that connect to the trim motor. Bet your fuse is blown?????

This could be just a low oil thing and a blown fuse. always check the minor stuff first before you tear into everything else
Mike
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

The pressure release screw is the bottom left one on the first picture.
DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Look at that steel caseing on your trim tab. Most outboards brag about their salt water performamce but they still have steel caseings that corrode in 2-3 years.
Honda, Merc. and Johnson is just a few that are NOT Saltwater protective. After Market such as trim Tab motores have Plastic caseing. Why do Manifactures still have steel caseings on the trim motors?
Dave

Mac26Mpaul wrote:The mechanic did not mention the possiblity of rewinding them, so I assume they dont do it. ETEC mechanics are few and far between here and so this is really my only reasonably close (35 minutes drive) option. Also, the case would probably need replacing, and I reckon they can probably only get the whole motors here, and not parts for them.....

Your idea of ordering through that guy, if he can get the one I need, sure makes sense. I have just been discussing the idea with SWMBO and there are two main issues, firstly, it may not end up being the motor that is the problem, in which case I'll be blowing an extra $150 to get one from the States and secondly, I may find it too complicated and have to go to a dealer to have it installed. He may well refuse if I bring my own which he will know I have got cheap from the States :? mmm what do do.... Looking at it, it looks like it would be simply, 4 screws and joining a coupla wires, but the mechanic said they can be a pain to get the pin out or something (??)

It has conked out in the fully up position. Does anyone know how I go about dropping it a bit to at least rest it on the trailering thingy. Also, based on the photos, can anyone advise me on adding more fluid, or changing fluid - Those two large screws I assume ???

Can see there is an anode in good condition near the motor.
seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse »

Hey Paul -- :D

Yes, as Robert says, the bottom left screw will release the pressure, make sure you are clear of the dropping motor when you turn it out. You can then retighten this screw to hold the engine in the down position, if you need to. On my motor this screw is red coloured.

On North American Evinrude motors the colour white indicates a saltwater version, and black indicates the freshwater version. The anodic material is different, along with other changes. Possibly blue (yours looks... ?) indicates a commercial version, that, I don't know. But none of this might apply down unda'.

- Brian. :wink:
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

I started a similar thread on the ETEC forum and a tech did mention that the other motor brands rust out, not just the ETECs so yeah. He however warned me against sourcing a cheap copy like what I assume those on ebay are - Not sure where to go with that. He also pointed out that the genuine motors are 300 retail here, not the 360 I was quoted. And he also pointed out that labour would be an hour or two so it should take about half the 800 which I was told it may cost. In fairness to that tech that gave me the over the phone quote, (wasnt actually a quote of course because as he said, he didnt even know what was actually wrong) , he was probably just saying that incase there were other issues and he said it would probably be less.

The thing that is a pain apparently, is the screws/bolts not coming out. And that makes sense to me, because I tried to remove the motor and simply couldnt get any of them to budge!

Oh okay, thanks Brian, I actually opened the top one yesterday and got a bit of air coming out, and a bit of fluid leaked out. I didnt touch that bottom one, thought it was for draining the fluid, okay, will drop the motor down with that.

As to the White and Blue ETECs. I have heard that before, but believe it is a bit of a marina myth... Heres a bit of discussion of that on a US forum
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/019503.html
My motor was fitted to the boat by a well known Evinrude dealer whos business is pretty much on the water (salt water).
Last edited by Mac26Mpaul on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bscott
Admiral
Location: Arvada, Colorado 2001 X, M rotating mast, E-tec 60 with Power Thruster, "HUFF n Puff"

Post by bscott »

Go to http://www.etecownersgroup.com to the I-2 forum. You will get expert advice from them. Make sure you have the S/N available.

Bob
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Yep, thats where my other thread is and where that advice came from :wink:
seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse »

Hey Paul -- :D
As to the White and Blue ETECs. I have heard that before, but believe it is a bit of a maria myth... Heres a bit of discussion of that on a US forum
Yeah, I've seen those threads before too. I think that the number of conflicting reports there are from factory reps, dealers, and mechanics points to a massive ingrained cluster of incompetence in the industry. They can't all be right.

It's actually quite common in many industries I've found. Instead of admitting that they don't want to go to the trouble of finding out the real answer, they'll just snowjob you with their opinion, and pretend it's fact. Big help for people like us stuck in the middle! :x

Even when you contact the factory directly, (as I have done on a number of occasions with different products) you run a high risk, if you don't happen to hit the jackpot and get a genuine accomplished technical person, of getting inaccurate information. (OK, rant mode off now :| ).

Applying logic to the problem, it would seem that the requirements and composition of an anode in salt water might be different from the anode requirements in fresh water, though.

The quest for truth marches on... :(

-Brian. :wink:
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Brian, You can buy different anodes for sure. Agree with what you say about half the people from these companies not knowing what they are talking about but I'm still confident there is no difference. 95 percent of boating here is done in salt. We just dont have all those grand inland lakes that you all do over there. (although a lot of the desert has turned into one at the moment!) The only outboards sold in fresh and salt versions that I'm aware of are cheap electric motors. This flyer is from BRP Australia and pictures on it with both blue and white motors are taken near where I live (all salt water :wink: )
http://www.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/DBADEF5 ... ETEC75.pdf
I'd be willing to chuck a 10er on it that if you contacted BRP there, you would find both colours are designed for fresh or salt.

Just noticed the US version of the BRP flyer. Look at the colour options for motors - Colour: Blue or White (nothing about salt or fresh)

And this thread is interesting
http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post?id= ... nextoldest
One of the guys saying there is no difference is I believe, a BRP trained mechanic

and this http://www.lakeannamarina.net/sales.html US dealer:

"If it's Evinrude, It's E-TEC. Simple as that. Doesn't matter if it's a 40 hp or a 250 hp or anything in between. Your hardest decision? deciding on blue or white. All Evinrude engines run in saltwater and fresh water. And they're composed of the same increadable technology, and the same industry leading performance, all up and down the line"
PEN24
Deckhand

Post by PEN24 »

Similar thing happened to a Merc 50 I have. The motor was shot after salt water ingress and had started to sound a bit sick for a few months before it finally went.

I replaced the motor which wasn't difficult but was fiddly because two of the bolts holding it to the pump housing were tucked right at the back and you have to loosen the bolts holding the whole engine to allow it to come away from the transom to get access. Took a couple of hours but was quite simple.