One Sail to Buy...Which One?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Re: One Sail to Buy...Which One?

Post by DaveB »

Divecox,
I don't have the Ball bearings as I bought the boat with the CDI already installed. If I was getting a new CDI furler I would go with the ball bearings ( belive there is a tread on this site refuring to ball bearings and keeping them clean).
I have had other headsails with the Sunbrella Leech sewed in and also a pocket pillow to give the sail better shape while furling it in diffrent positions but I now have a extra leach tape made out of sail cloth instead of sunbrella.
Reason is the sail furls tighter with the sail cloth and less wind resistance.
I also took a old sail and cut it 20 inch width and doubled over to 10 inches and sewed to cover the head sail while mast is down and boat on trailer to protect the sail from UV and dirt.
I like the 105 jib as I posted previous. There are times I wished I had a 150 genoa but I like the better shape of the 105 and being able to beat closer to windward.
Dave
Divecoz wrote:Dave: ANY Draw Backs to the Ball Bearing Up Grade.. I have yet to pick mine up and its still and option..if I desire it..?? I need to MAKE Up My Mind!
On the sail choice as well. So he can have sunbrella leech sewed on.. AND with your experience with sailing SWF you suggest the 105% gib??
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

DaveB wrote:.....I like the 105 jib as I posted previous. There are times I wished I had a 150 genoa but I like the better shape of the 105 and being able to beat closer to windward. Dave
I might have this wrong, but I think I've read that if you furl a sail in more that 10% it really starts loosing its shape and isn't near as effective. If this is true then even our 135 would not be very good when furled into jib size. I'll bet that we would of been happy with a 105 for the way we sail. Also furled in the center of effort starts going higher and higher. There again if this is true a 150 would be really bad furled down to jib size and trying to beat close to the wind. I think you got a good combo :) .

On the bearing deal at this point we don't see where they would of helped us. I was going to order the CDI with bearings, but Martin at Somerset sails who we got the new sails and CDI from talked me out of it and he could of made more money if we would of gone with them. He felt for our boat size they just weren't needed and would be one more maintenance item. Still it is a personal decision one has to make for themselves,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Roller Bearings ""one more maintenance item"" and I do have to consider that issue... In a more perfect world? For sure I would Never.....forget to Rinse THE Boat and Rigging down with Fresh Water.. In My Real World?? Hummmmmm
Last edited by Divecoz on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
arknoah
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by arknoah »

Yeah. I'm thinkin' dollar for dollar you would benefit the most from a new main.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Divecoz wrote:Roller Bearings ""one more maintenance item"" and I do have to consider that issue... In a more perfect world? For sure I would Never.....forget to Rinse THE Boat and Rigging down with Fresh Water.. In My Real World?? Hummmmmm
I had the bearing kits in both my cd2 furlers on my :mac19: 100$ a pop they are very easy to maint. just wash them down with fresh water once in a while whats so hard about that the biggest issue was dirt while trling so I bought furler drum bags that I put over the furler drums while trling or while being stored I only had to wash them out maybe twice a yr I removed the bearing kits when I sold the boat so I have two CD2 furling drum bearing kits for sale with instructions still in the boxes also should put my mac furler up for sale too as I now have two harken 00 furlers on my :macm:
The bearing kits on the CD2 furlers make a big diff when furling the sail in heavy winds

J 8)
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Main important thing is have teltails on main and jib.
Allows for you to see the flow and adjust your lines to let the wind flow thru with teltails out .
With a 150 genoa this won't happen until you sheet in.
The 150 works great in winds under 8 knots beating.
You have a Mac.S and can out perform a X or M with just a 105 jib except down wind.(almost dead even, have recorded 7.2 knots steady with winging the jib, no current)
Maybe Rick and Linda with their S Mental floss can chip in as we both sailed togeather in diffrent wind conditions.
My last New Year cruise with 2 other mac.X's and one M with new main sail proved how beating to windward in apporx. 8-10 knots of wind can come as close to 38 to 40 degrees apparent wind and still maintain good speed.
It's just pratical experance with me and I don't like to heel more than 15 degrees with gusts to 20 degrees.
The MacX can beat to windward in 2 ft. seas under 40 degrees and still maintain speed in a 8-12 mph wind.
There is much to be said to how to do it and balance your sails and rigging.
Oh...forgot this, reefing the genoa or jib 10 percent will keep the leach and luff good shape, after 20 % you start to lose shape depending on the cut shape. Usually you should do a 30 % reduction on a good headsail before it starts to flake coil.
Dave

Sumner wrote:
DaveB wrote:.....I like the 105 jib as I posted previous. There are times I wished I had a 150 genoa but I like the better shape of the 105 and being able to beat closer to windward. Dave
I might have this wrong, but I think I've read that if you furl a sail in more that 10% it really starts loosing its shape and isn't near as effective. If this is true then even our 135 would not be very good when furled into jib size. I'll bet that we would of been happy with a 105 for the way we sail. Also furled in the center of effort starts going higher and higher. There again if this is true a 150 would be really bad furled down to jib size and trying to beat close to the wind. I think you got a good combo :) .

On the bearing deal at this point we don't see where they would of helped us. I was going to order the CDI with bearings, but Martin at Somerset sails who we got the new sails and CDI from talked me out of it and he could of made more money if we would of gone with them. He felt for our boat size they just weren't needed and would be one more maintenance item. Still it is a personal decision one has to make for themselves,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I love the CDI BZb upgrade but you have to diligently rinse it in salt water use. I skipped this one season and the casting rotted....the ball bearings are Torlon so they dont corrode but the cast bearing race will crumble is salt if not maintained.
AlaskaMan
Chief Steward

Post by AlaskaMan »

I have a 2002 26X. She had been used for one season and then sat unused in the front yard of the original owner for 6 years due to his health problems. The original sails were folded in the sail bags and as good as new. I sailed the first season with the original hanked on jib and bolt rope mainsail. The following year I upgraded to the CDI FFL2 roller furler with a 150 percent Genoa and had sail slides and a second reef point sewn into the original main sail. I really like the roller furler and the fact I can adjust the sail from the security of the cockpit. When the wind picks up I adjust my genoa cars and roll in the genny till Mental Floss stops wanting to round up into the wind. I also went with the BWYachts single line reefing and halyards aft system. This allows me to adjust both sails without leaving the cockpit. Our weather can change pretty quickly here in SE Alaska so that's a big plus for me.
I picked up the ASYM Spinnaker from Kelley Hansen Sails last year, from reading the posts I must be the only satisfied customer (or just lucky) one out there. The sail arrived on time with all the hardware. I just started using it last summer so I don't have a lot of time running with it yet, but I am looking forward to playing with it this year, once I dig my boat out from the snow. So, if I was going to replace sails I'd probably recommend a CDI FF2 system with the 150 Genoa, followed by an improved main then if the cash was there find an asym spinnaker. If you sail with your wife and small children I think you'd find the spinnaker a lot of work to operate with the crew you mentioned. Just my 2 cents.
Regards
:macx:
Mental Floss
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

Alaskaman, shoot me a message if you're planning on coming north to Haines or skagtown. I might be down in your area in July but can't say for sure, it's gonna be a busy summer. It'd be good to sail with another Mac instead of getting sideways glances from other sailboats lol
AlaskaMan
Chief Steward

Post by AlaskaMan »

YukonBob - sounds good. I've wondered what the sailing was like in the Skagway area. We thought about running up from Juneau but I am a bit concerned about the run up Lynn Canal if the winds pick up.
Mental Floss
Terry
Admiral

Post by Terry »

AlaskaMan wrote:I have a 2002 26X. I picked up the ASYM Spinnaker from Kelley Hansen Sails last year, from reading the posts I must be the only satisfied customer (or just lucky) one out there. The sail arrived on time with all the hardware. I just started using it last summer so I don't have a lot of time running with it yet, but I am looking forward to playing with it this year, once I dig my boat out from the snow.
Regards
Mental Floss
I was one of the customers waiting for the KH spinnaker last spring (had my order in and confirmed) and after too much patient waiting I cancelled it and went with the Hyde setup. Since you were one of the lucky customers who got service could you tell us a bit more anout the sail and hardware. What was all the hardware you needed and bought? What did the sail look like, color,size, weight, etc.? And most importantly, how was it stitched, meaning was it fully stitched or were just the edges stitched and the joining panels glued like the factory version. The Hyde sail is fully stitched, no glue. I am curious as to what I might have got under different circumstances, too bad for them that the sale never completed.
AlaskaMan
Chief Steward

Post by AlaskaMan »

Terry
http://www.kellyhansonsails.com/apps/we ... 954?page=1 I ordered the C2000 Cruising Spinnaker. It's just like the picture for color. The sail has just the edges stitched with panels glued. I also ordered the stuffing stock for the sail. So far I've not had a problem with it being glued laterally vice stitched, but I've given thought of sending to a sail loft and having that done. I purchased the BWY spinnaker kit and run that with the ASail.
Curt
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

Alaskaman....there are a bunch of anchorages to hide out in on the way up...Up Favorite Chan (tee, and eagle) then off poundstone cut across (10nm) and boat harb (high tide only) is right there. Couple miles up William Henry Bay (good crab) nice kinda sandy beach...then up to Sullivan Island (if weather is bad you can tuck behind it for eight to ten miles and straight into Lentiknof (cannery bay just outside Haines) or get behind the Tongass islands and shoot straight for Haines. the lower lynn can pick up but you can just run with the wind and duck out if it gets really bad (15nm hrb to hrb is the most you'd have to deal with if it gets nasty) . After Sullivan there are lots of places to get out of the wind and if you really have to you can go into cannery bay and prob get a ride into town. After Haines going up Taiya Inlet to Skagway it can get rougher as the channel narrows and funnels all of the lynn into the 2mile wide 16 mile long fjord.
We went down to Hoonah last summer and out to Elfin then out to cross sound. Didn't do any waiting for the weather...had some 6ftrs (in Chatham which was the worst by far, but you wouldn't have to deal with) coming past St James and rode them into Will Henry. The most i've seen is 6-7 on a really bad day...also glass calm all the way down and back over two weeks 8)
AlaskaMan
Chief Steward

Post by AlaskaMan »

YukonBob - Thanks for the information. Time to pull out the chart and plan a trip.

Curt
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Mast

Make sure you rinse the bearing out with fresh water regularly , like the manual says....it will last forever if you do this.