Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

garage storage clearance height?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, tangentair, Frank C, beene, Heath_Mod

Re: garage storage clearance height?

Postby mac M 3049 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 am

I just bought a new 1012 26 M the mast pulpit at the rear of the boat was 10’4” to the top of the mast from the ground with the trailer level that was the highest point on the whole boat off the ground. I took the factor mast pulpit off the boat. Then bent a new one out of ¾ EMT pipe 31” wide 32” tall installed it and rested the mast on it for storage support just to allow me to get the boat in the garage. That allowed me to slip my boat under my 9’ high garage door with about 1 inch to spare. I am going tol switch the pulpit back to the factory one after I pull the boat back out of the garage to the factory one for trailering as the mast is vary low over the cockpit now and the spreaders are sitting on the cabin edges. I put ¾” water pipe insulation and wrapped the spreaders on the mast as they now sit on the edges of the cabin or you could put down a towel. A side note is my garage is 33’ deep the mast is about 4” off the back wall and the tong of the trailer is about 4” to the door. If you had a 10’ high door you could just set the mast off the side of the cradle directly on the tubing of the rear mast pulpit.
mac M 3049

Postby robbarnes1965 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 am

mac M 3049 wrote:I just bought a new 1012 26 M the mast pulpit at the rear of the boat was 10’4” to the top of the mast from the ground with the trailer level that was the highest point on the whole boat off the ground. I took the factor mast pulpit off the boat. Then bent a new one out of ¾ EMT pipe 31” wide 32” tall installed it and rested the mast on it for storage support just to allow me to get the boat in the garage. That allowed me to slip my boat under my 9’ high garage door with about 1 inch to spare. I am going tol switch the pulpit back to the factory one after I pull the boat back out of the garage to the factory one for trailering as the mast is vary low over the cockpit now and the spreaders are sitting on the cabin edges. I put ¾” water pipe insulation and wrapped the spreaders on the mast as they now sit on the edges of the cabin or you could put down a towel. A side note is my garage is 33’ deep the mast is about 4” off the back wall and the tong of the trailer is about 4” to the door. If you had a 10’ high door you could just set the mast off the side of the cradle directly on the tubing of the rear mast pulpit.

Why not remove the spreaders?
robbarnes1965
Captain

Location: (BYC)Montreal, Qc Macgregor 26m-2007 "Miss Coco" - after my daughter, 50hp Honda
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby mac M 3049 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 pm

robbarnes1965 wrote:
mac M 3049 wrote:I just bought a new 1012 26 M the mast pulpit at the rear of the boat was 10’4” to the top of the mast from the ground with the trailer level that was the highest point on the whole boat off the ground. I took the factor mast pulpit off the boat. Then bent a new one out of ¾ EMT pipe 31” wide 32” tall installed it and rested the mast on it for storage support just to allow me to get the boat in the garage. That allowed me to slip my boat under my 9’ high garage door with about 1 inch to spare. I am going tol switch the pulpit back to the factory one after I pull the boat back out of the garage to the factory one for trailering as the mast is vary low over the cockpit now and the spreaders are sitting on the cabin edges. I put ¾” water pipe insulation and wrapped the spreaders on the mast as they now sit on the edges of the cabin or you could put down a towel. A side note is my garage is 33’ deep the mast is about 4” off the back wall and the tong of the trailer is about 4” to the door. If you had a 10’ high door you could just set the mast off the side of the cradle directly on the tubing of the rear mast pulpit.

I did not want to take the whole thing apart and a stick of foam pipe insulation was a whole 3 bucks plus I am going to leave it on when towing so the spreaders don’t rub on the glass.
mac M 3049

Postby yukonbob » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Just a thought for rubbing while trailering...i picked up a bunch of yoga mats from walmart $10-$12 ea. When we go to put in there is usually a lot of gravel on the road so I wrap the bow in them with some clear tape around the edges, and a couple of cut pieces here and there help stop any chaffing and are 100% reusable.
yukonbob
Admiral

Postby robbarnes1965 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:53 am

mac M 3049 wrote:
robbarnes1965 wrote:

I did not want to take the whole thing apart and a stick of foam pipe insulation was a whole 3 bucks plus I am going to leave it on when towing so the spreaders don’t rub on the glass.

Maybe that's why it takes me the better part of a day to rig my boat :)
robbarnes1965
Captain

Location: (BYC)Montreal, Qc Macgregor 26m-2007 "Miss Coco" - after my daughter, 50hp Honda

Postby Newell » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 am

Catigale wrote:Rich..I was thinking move mast to trailer position, then flip....light clearance wouldn't be an issue

I made some quick measurements on the :macx: this morning...

I like new ideas but this seems complicated. If you move the mast to the 'trailer position' the spreaders (if you still have the stock length) are now under the lifelines. To flip at this point will be difficult. Having the shrouds do a half turn around the mast sounds messy. Kudos to someone who tries this.

The height of the mast at rear is dependant on the height of the trailer tongue. I push my D into my garage with a FMH and use a stinger that raises the tongue of the trailer. Also I drop the mast, spreaders detached, both at the front and mast crutch to cabin top. By pushing front of boat against side wall of garage, I have enough room to park my Smart Car also in same stall.
Newell
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Previous

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion