"Dinghy" for the Mac

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: "Dinghy" for the Mac

Post by Highlander »

Crikey wrote:Never mind! Adding a cheaper Chinese built inflatable and an Japanese outboard still adds up to 100lb of extra baggage on my :macm: .
This severely restricts my ration of travelling Scotch! :P
Nope yer got it wrong dinghy is for towing yer Scotch in :P

J 8)
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

Dave,

Can you describe how you inflate it on your boat and how long that takes? Or do you inflate when you launch your Mac and always tow?

Also, how well does it row?

Thanks,
Jim
csm
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by csm »

KRIKEY!! Krikey 100#s of scotch should last a guy a while :)
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Cigerete lighter cord . I need a more powerfull 12 volt pump to get the full air pressure, that way I won't need the Foot pump to top off...mainly for the floor as it requires more pressure than the tubes and keel.
Deflateing it the Elect pump works well and sucks all the air out.
Takes `10 min's inflating all 4 chambers. another 4-5 min. filling it with foot pump. deflating it takes about 10 min.
With a good 12 volt pump it would take 5 min. inflating it with proper pressure.
I only deflate it if going back from a long trip and won't need it.
It doesn't row well like any inflatable but will get you there in head winds under 5-8mph.
The inflateable floor and Keel makes a big diffrence.
This is just a low cost well built dingy that does what most need.
Light weight at 32 lbs, carry 700 lbs, max. hp 2.5 hp gas and easy storage.
Dave
c130king wrote:Dave,

Can you describe how you inflate it on your boat and how long that takes? Or do you inflate when you launch your Mac and always tow?

Thanks,
Jim
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Don't you have a Suzuki 60 on your boat? :o
Dave
Crikey wrote:Never mind! Adding a cheaper Chinese built inflatable and an Japanese outboard still adds up to 100lb of extra baggage on my :macm: .
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

OOppsss!! But I can Proudly say..... Mine is a Merc 50HP BF EFI : ) Dink has a Evinrude and Tow Vehicle is a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab V-8 4x4 : )
DaveB wrote:Don't you have a Suzuki 60 on your boat? :o
Dave
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Dave
Yep, DF60A and really lovin that motor. Mind you - If I was to do it over again (and could afford it!) I'd probably be in the 90 plus range. Forget it, retired, can't afford it - go back to sleep!
I have a feeling, though, that most of this horsepower get wasted trying to get the sailing displacement hull into plane and past the bow wave. I think tabs and hull rails, in addition to my motor foil might alleviate things somewhat while preserving (or even helping) the sailing mode.
Puttin the cart before the horse at this point... :o

Ross
DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB »

There ya go! Made in USA, Maybe, ck were the parts were built. Harley Motorcycles has many parts built outside the USA. I for one almost always Buy US products when avaliable.
This Country is no longer built in the USA as most parts come from diffrent Countries and tho many are assembled in US most cannot say total built in US.
Moderator ,sorry for the political ramp, delete if you feel warrented to.
Dave

I
Divecoz wrote:OOppsss!! But I can Proudly say..... Mine is a Merc 50HP BF EFI : ) Dink has a Evinrude and Tow Vehicle is a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab V-8 4x4 : )
Dave
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

Crikey wrote:I've now got a 7.5ft SeaClear with a 2.5 mini Suzi. Hasn't seen water yet!
What do you think about these: http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/ ... index.html
(similar in some ways to the Smart Tabs I'm going to put on my :macm: this spring.)
Maybe better with higher HP, but still useful for loading and stability in an inflatable.
Ross
Well, the theory is sound. Might make a good excuse to get a 8 or 9.9 for my Dinghy, which would certainly be a great backup motor on the Mac as well...
csm
First Officer

Post by csm »

I've been hesitant to pony up the $s, but I think the Hobie 12 ' inflatable with mirage drive is on the top of the list. I already have two hard hull Hobie mirage kayaks, and one home built mirage drive kayak, but all this talk of inflatables has pushed me over the edge. Unless something new and exciting come along before my next major trip, the i12s will be coming aboard. I' m on my mobile and haven' t figured out how to post a link, but anyone with $18 boat bucks and needing a fishing, cruising, sailing, "dinhy" should check out Hobie' s website.
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

c130king wrote:Dave,

Thanks,
Jim
I have a 12v inflator but I use the foot pump--it's much faster. My dinghy is fully inflated in about 4 minutes with the foot pump, and about 10 min with the inflator. And no cord required.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I am developing a folding dinghy for my boat. It will go on the other side of the boat from where I have my paddle board.
It's sort of like the Folbot folding boat but mine is intended to be ready in seconds not minutes.
It's made from luan saturated with epoxy. I'll post the model on YouTube.
The design looks good however I may have issues with building it strongly enough to use daily yet still keep it light enough to launch off the boat.
Currently it's only just large enough for two people or me and my dogs however the concept could be scaled up to probably nine feet. The one I am aiming for is seven feet. It's a basic dinghy intended for service where you usually park the macs, closer to shore then the other large boats.
Ixneigh
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Dave: Keep an eye on that Plastic Solstice Motor Mount.. My brothers is about the same age as yours, and it fell apart Using a 55ft.lb electric. Hes pretty anal with ALL his stuff , so I doubt very much.... it was through hard or miss, use.. He built a better unit out of two layers of black star board..

I have a US Boat 9'9" that's rated for 5 hp.. I have / had a 6 hp on it.. It Flies hahaha.. I have changed over / bought and now have a 54 ft.lb Electric for it.. I have yet to test the 54 on the dink. I towed my dink for 6.5 weeks and when I needed it or wanted it , it was GREAT.. The rest the time.. PITA..
I wish there was something available that was a lot better/lighter, easy to deploy, easy to store, would carry 4 blablabla.. A Motor that would magically appear on the transom with the wiggle of my nose. It Ain't Gonna Happen.......The shear size of the Mac just makes having a dink a pain..
If its light weight enough to stow on-board its barely above a toy.. I got a great deal on mine $100 .. On a much bigger boat , it'd be great.. I am changing over to that electric, all in hopes that the electric offers more / better solutions for towing. The Battery can store under the helm seat up high in the motor well and I will try towing the dink backwards with the rear ends of the tubes up off the water.. We're going to vulcanize 2 SS hoops / Circles (?)
1 at the rear end of each tube.. Probably including a strap of some sort the encompasses the tube.. I am thinking about using Rhino Skin to vulcanize the circle strap to the tubes..?????
capncarp
Engineer

Post by capncarp »

I like Dave have a Soltice. It is easy to work with and store. It works well for what I need. Running ashore or puttzin around the marina.
capncarp,
AKA: TheMacMan
99 :macx:
DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB »

Mine is like new and only plastic is the mounting plate. I also have a fixed motor mount on the Mac.X with the same plastic mount but diffrent manifacture.
If I see it with even a hair line small crack I will replace it with plywood. I put a 27 lb 2.5 Suzukie on it.
It does appear rugged, maybe a bad cast.
Now you got me looking ! :D
Dave
Divecoz wrote:Dave: Keep an eye on that Plastic Solstice Motor Mount.. My brothers is about the same age as yours, and it fell apart Using a 55ft.lb electric. Hes pretty anal with ALL his stuff , so I doubt very much.... it was through hard or miss, use.. He built a better unit out of two layers of black star board..

I have a US Boat 9'9" that's rated for 5 hp.. I have / had a 6 hp on it.. It Flies hahaha.. I have changed over / bought and now have a 54 ft.lb Electric for it.. I have yet to test the 54 on the dink. I towed my dink for 6.5 weeks and when I needed it or wanted it , it was GREAT.. The rest the time.. PITA..
I wish there was something available that was a lot better/lighter, easy to deploy, easy to store, would carry 4 blablabla.. A Motor that would magically appear on the transom with the wiggle of my nose. It Ain't Gonna Happen.......The shear size of the Mac just makes having a dink a pain..
If its light weight enough to stow on-board its barely above a toy.. I got a great deal on mine $100 .. On a much bigger boat , it'd be great.. I am changing over to that electric, all in hopes that the electric offers more / better solutions for towing. The Battery can store under the helm seat up high in the motor well and I will try towing the dink backwards with the rear ends of the tubes up off the water.. We're going to vulcanize 2 SS hoops / Circles (?)
1 at the rear end of each tube.. Probably including a strap of some sort the encompasses the tube.. I am thinking about using Rhino Skin to vulcanize the circle strap to the tubes..?????