O Canada: The boat !

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Canadians
Québec 1
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

O Canada: The boat !

Post by Québec 1 »

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Re: O Canada: The boat !

Post by Phil M »

If this Open 60 were to pass by a Macgregor, it might look like the Mac was anchored with full sails out. :D

Phil M :macm:
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Not mine! I'd have the stealth motor down..... "No, it's not turned on. I'm just having a problem with the hydraulics!"
:P
I love the twin canted daggerboards. Probably water ballast there as well.
Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M »

Canted daggerboards, inward slanted daggerboards, outward slanted daggerboards ...
All for the tiniest improvement in speed under special circumstances.

http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/ma ... ves-0-5523

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey »

Phil M wrote:Canted daggerboards, inward slanted daggerboards, outward slanted daggerboards ...
All for the tiniest improvement in speed under special circumstances.

http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/ma ... ves-0-5523

Nice insight Phil! Not sure about tiny increases in speed - as opposed to the traditional weighted center keel, probably quite a bit, all else being equal.
The interesting part to me is the foil shape of each being used to impart some directional righting force as well. If winter ever ends (repeat: EVER ENDS!) I want to dig a hole in my yard and look at how much the Mac's daggerboard actually moves about when fully extended. Judging by the slop I can see when fully retracted, my guess is quite a bit! Where the idea gets interesting is that if it was engineered up to the point of being a diving board - how much would that sharpen a/o improve the sailing qualities?
Taken one step further, like the puppies you outlined, what if you took advantage of the slop and put a very slight steer into it, depending on the tack, with some sort of cam mod? As long as you didn't act like a stalled rudder and cause too much drag, would a righting force result that would be similar in effect to one of those foils? I've got an unused, near new rack & pinion Mac steering package that would be perfect for handling the forces involved. I'd still settle for the diving board though..
Ross
Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M »

My daggerboard has been modified slightly using 1/2" PVC http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1095, and the play on it has been reduced.

I added that after my fiberglass repair job from hitting an uncharted submerged rock. :o
Most of our lakes (all of them?) are uncharted in Saskatchewan.

Crikey
Admiral

Post by Crikey »

Phil, did you ever get a chance to wobble it around when it was extended, or partially down? If so, what amount of play (in either direction) did you observe prior to the work - and afterwards?

Ross
Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M »

What I did notice is that the amount of play when removing the board has been reduced, but not eliminated.
Of course, when sailing, there is so much pressure on the board that it is hard to move even with additional purchase using two pulleys.
There is still slight movement under anchor, so I tend to raise the board for overnight.