Want to say thanks to everyone ...

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
ALX357
Admiral
Location: Nashville TN -- 2000 MacGregor 26X, Mercury two-stroke 50hp

Want to say thanks to everyone ...

Post by ALX357 »

Thank you all for the help with advice and mods.
The collective concern, wisdom and experience of this board's members .....
In my opinion, having access to this board is the most valuable asset a Mac owner can get. The boat is ideal for its niche, and I found my niche had migrated.

After 8 years owning my MacX, now it has a newer owner.
I listed in only one place, a free listing, and was not agressive in trying to sell it, but the right buyer found my boat as preferred over ten other MacX year 2000-plus boats he looked at, due to the overall condition and mods I had installed. The selling price as asked did not cover all my invested time and money of course, but was satisfactory, considering.

Still having a sailing addiction to feed, I am looking around at sailboats in the 18 to 22 foot range: Hunter 20, South Coast 22, CM21, Capris, etc.
My own itch niche is for a smaller cabin sailboat with primary sailing qualities, preferably swing keel shallow draught, and the ability to motor along at hull speed with minimal fuel usage, to be slipped at a nearby marina. Any further advice, leads, or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not as broadly experienced and wise as Moe, but like him, I have a lasting appreciation for the Mac folks here, and will visit occasionally.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Want to say thanks to everyone ...

Post by Catigale »

Would be interesting to see your numbers on 12 years of ownership...What fraction of purchase price plus mods did you get back after 12 years, not counting maintenance and slip fees and all that?

Im guessing 50% or so? Not bad for 12 years of sailing !!

On edit - I was interested in fractional cost to protect privacy of course, apologies if that was missed...
ALX357
Admiral

Post by ALX357 »

Ok, some numbers crunched (notice the term of 8 years ownership) .... If figuring the actual purchase price alone, against the selling price, I got back 85% .... pretty good, if that was all.
But if figuring the purchase price, the taxes paid, and the motor servicing done by others, and the cost of the material spent for mods and adds-on .... I made it at about 58% ... that is not figuring interest on the note I took, nor the sweat equity of course, of about 200 hours more-or-less.
Due to the long interim of disuse, the actual time the boat got used was disappointingly brief. About 4 years. 2 years as an occasional trailer sailor, and about two years slipped in marinas, and for the last four years, sat in my back yard perched above the trailer. ( The concrete blocks, topped by wood blocks and some starboard lumber, I used for three-point support stands, to the disapproval of several concerned members, never failed, never shifted, and are still new looking except for some mud.)
And if I figure the actual cost of those blissful hours actually in the boat on the water, by the estimate I made, it comes to about a hundred dollars per hour, not figuring gas. Hopefully no one else has had, nor will have that result.
'Loved that boat, still do, and the new owner has a prize he can use to better advantage, a wife and 2 teen kids to enjoy it. The wife was especially pleased with the interior condition. It needs curtains, and some other of the the x-chromosome touch, so there is some involvement she can have in mods to make it their own mobile nest.
My own Admiral, ... well, I miscalculated things, 'found she was more of a Field Marshall or more accurately, Major-General of Marines, ( think Royal British Navy, about 1805) so my next boat is going to be more of a single-hander, and not so large.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

Why not a v22.2?
Sweet little boats. Almost free in some cases.
Still get to stay here ;)
Ixneigh
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

I was thinking the same Ixneigh...they're on Craigslist down here for dirt cheap all the time...and you'd get a trip to FL to pick it up! :wink:
ALX357
Admiral

Post by ALX357 »

No tow vehicle ... but will consider .....

Even with no MacBoat I could still be regarded as a benign troll on here, no ?
pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 »

I have no MacBoat and I'm a nign troll :!: :!: :D :D :D

Rick
CampCook
Engineer

Post by CampCook »

Here is one that might fit
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2918091010.html
a friend of mine is selling it and it is pristine. A little was away but who knows?!?!
Dave
DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Look at the Mac.S.
Friends have one and have a older honda 7.5 hp and easy does 6.5 knots under power (his doesn't leave a wake at that speed were my X leaves a 1 ft. wake) and outsails my mac.X big time.It also performs great in very light winds with a full main and yankee jib (High Cut Clew).
If I was younger without back pains I would get one.
But I do love the MacX and comfort it offers.
Dave
ALX357 wrote:Thank you all for the help with advice and mods.
The collective concern, wisdom and experience of this board's members .....
In my opinion, having access to this board is the most valuable asset a Mac owner can get. The boat is ideal for its niche, and I found my niche had migrated.

After 8 years owning my MacX, now it has a newer owner.
I listed in only one place, a free listing, and was not agressive in trying to sell it, but the right buyer found my boat as preferred over ten other MacX year 2000-plus boats he looked at, due to the overall condition and mods I had installed. The selling price as asked did not cover all my invested time and money of course, but was satisfactory, considering.

Still having a sailing addiction to feed, I am looking around at sailboats in the 18 to 22 foot range: Hunter 20, South Coast 22, CM21, Capris, etc.
My own itch niche is for a smaller cabin sailboat with primary sailing qualities, preferably swing keel shallow draught, and the ability to motor along at hull speed with minimal fuel usage, to be slipped at a nearby marina. Any further advice, leads, or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not as broadly experienced and wise as Moe, but like him, I have a lasting appreciation for the Mac folks here, and will visit occasionally.
Steve K
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Steve K »

I like the D boat, but they are pricy, in most cases, and may be a little larger than you seem to be wanting.

The older, smaller Mac/Venture boats are great and are usually very reasonable. I love all the Macs.

I had a 1977 Catalina 22, swing keel ........... loved it!
It has a couple more shrouds, so takes just a bit longer to rig. It sat quite a bit higher on the trailer which had a telescoping extension for launching. But if you're keeping it slipped, launch and recovery is less of an issue.
My guess is that the old Catalina will come a lot more dear ($$$) than an old Mac/Venture.

I've had two Catalinas, a Mac 26X and now a D-boat. The D is my overall favorite for many reasons, some of them are:
Extra light..... 1600lbs dry w/no gear onboard (I tow to my sailing grounds so the lighter the better, particularly when paying $4 plus per gallon)
Fast!!
Responsive!
EASY to handle, EASY to launch and recover, EASY to rig and un-rig, etc.(I single hand a lot)
I can open the pop top alone, with no problem (the one on the C22 took three men and a small boy).

Did I mention.... I love the D-boat? :wink:

Best Breezes,
Steve K.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Before you go... you MUST explain what the avatar is. Pleaaaaase.
ALX357
Admiral

Post by ALX357 »

I'm not going anywhere .... fast.
'Be a stowaway on board here ....

As for the avatar ....

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 72#p162672

It would make more sense to those experienced in photographic processes. ( pre-digital )
FLembo18
First Officer

Post by FLembo18 »

ALX357 wrote:I'm not going anywhere .... fast.
'Be a stowaway on board here ....

As for the avatar ....

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 72#p162672

It would make more sense to those experienced in photographic processes. ( pre-digital )
I always thought of it as a Bat on acid ! Best of luck to you on your quest in finding a new boat.

Frank L.
ALX357
Admiral

Sailboat wish list.

Post by ALX357 »

My ideal sailboat :
18 ~ 22 foot.
Cabin with v-berth, porta-pot.
Swing keel, shallow draught.
Tiller.
Masthead full length forestay rig, not fractional.
150 Genoa on furler or ability to install one.
Cabin + berth cushions.
Fore-hatch.
Mast light, interior lights.
Long-shaft 4-stroke outboard motor 5-10 hp,
fueled from separate portable gas tank.
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »