26X trailer brakes

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
The Mutt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

26X trailer brakes

Post by The Mutt »

While doing preventative maintanence eg: repacking the bearings in both axles, which in turn were badly scored and needed replacing themselves I found that the brake pad lining has had an argument with that backing and seperated.

Anyone know the part number or vehicle that the brake pads are used in? They look like they are from a Holden just a bit wider.

My local parts guy didn't play very nice Yesterday ... must be that time of the month.

Glenn
capncarp
Engineer

Re: 26X trailer brakes

Post by capncarp »

Hi Glenn,
I have a Bendix brake shoe # R154 . I also have oil seal, inner and outer and race #'s if you need them. I'll be pulling mine apart this week. They have never been changed since new in 99. It should be interesting.
capncarp,
99 :macx:
The Mutt
Captain

Post by The Mutt »

Thanks for that capncarp, it just so happens that Bendix US part numbers don't match up with any part number for Bendix Australia, back to the keyboard to see what US vehicles ran R154 shoes.

Glenn
The Mutt
Captain

Post by The Mutt »

For anyone else in Australia looking for brake shoes, the part code for Bendix Australia is BS1336 they are for the front of a Holden HK, HT, HG (All Wheel Drum) 1968 - 1971

the size is
Drum 254mm
Width 57mm

May your Goverment's potholes be under another person's wheels
Fair Winds
Glenn
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

:D :D :D
The Mutt
Captain

Post by The Mutt »

Forget the Bendix BS1336 brake shoes or any help what so ever from Bendix Australia, they are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, Bursons were advised and ordered in 5 different sets of brake shoes ... all were WRONG, the pictures in the books,e-mails and web sites looked close, in real life not closed enough ... the correct brake shoes for our 1997 Macgregor 26X trailer are made in Australia by Brake Bonders part number N1270, we purchased them from Bursons in Penrith.

Fair Winds

Glenn