harken/nautos small boat furling system for v17

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
littledevil
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

harken/nautos small boat furling system for v17

Post by littledevil »

hi. i was wondering if anyone install something like that on their pocket cruisers. do you think i can get away using the 434? its for dingies up to 16 feet but it seems that it may do the job for v17 as well. if not i can focus on 435 size.
i also find the nautos much cheaper but they don't provide much information about the product. being $ 130 dolars i thought it might be a option as well
http://www.nautos-usa.com/catalogo_02.p ... D%20SWIVEL
THANKS
littledevil
Chief Steward

Re: harken/nautos small boat furling system for v17

Post by littledevil »

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I would want a key piece of equipment like this in my hand before buying. That 130 USD furler looks enticing but the build quality at that price point is highly suspect...there just isn't enough margin there unless its cheap stamped "stainless" steel
littledevil
Chief Steward

Post by littledevil »

how much force is being applied to that pieces? i was under the impression that forestay handles the most of it.
Steve K
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Steve K »

The Mac/Venture boats are light boats with light rigs. There are several places one can use "dingy" rated items.
With a furling system, I always look at the suggested forestay size as a guideline. There would be no point in adding a furling drum, made for 5/32 and larger forestay when your forestay is 1/8.
Just my humble opinion :wink:

Remember also, this type of furling is only for taking in the sail completely, or letting it out completely. They are not designed for partially reefing the sail. Trying to sail with a partially rolled up headsail on this type of furler, does two things.
1. you lose your sail shape quickly.
2. (and more importantly) the hanks will end up tearing through, and/or wearing the sail cloth, where it is rolled around them if the rest of the sail is loaded.

I've pondered buying one of these units for years. There have been two times when I really wished I had one installed on the jib. When single handing, and a gale comes up suddenly, it can be very difficult to leave the cockpit and go take down a headsail. It would be nice just to roll the sail up on the forestay. I almost got toss off the boat, one time.

I have almost decided against this furling gear and just make up a downhaul for the headsail, led back to the cockpit.
I saw a couple designs that pull down, and bundle the sail up by the forestay. I keep meaning to try this.

I had the CDI furling on my X boat. I liked it, for the most part, except when rigging and unrigging the boat. I also found that it would often hang up or give some kind of trouble, when I needed it most (gale situations). So this is why I've opted to keep the rig on my D boat, as simple as possible. I've found changing headsails to be easy and I can do it quickly. So, except for the worst situations, I now prefer hank on headsails........... on a small boat like this anyway.

Just my thoughts on all of this............. for what they are worth.

Best Breezes :wink:
SK
littledevil
Chief Steward

Post by littledevil »

i have thoughts about the up s and downs too. i trailer the boat all the time, stepping the mast each time etc. with this addition things may get little complicated but there are benefits as well especially considering i am single handed most times.
i ve noticed the no reef option and this is fine. i haven't seen any small boat setup with reef option and i am sure the price would be overkill for me. this one for few hundred dollars not too bad.
btw the max wire dia for harken 434 is 1/8, which we have on our boats so fitting should be ok. only concern is if its going to be last long since they being marketed for dingies and even its a pocket cruiser i don't know if we can use this part.i usually sail in fair condition, i broke couple things, demast one time. it doesn't worth to push it to the point to damage tho boat which is not easy to fix.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

...with Steve on this one...for may Harpoons.15 and 17 footers, I use hanked on foresails which can be bent on quickly and doused PDQ imhe....
mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by mastreb »

I don't think anyone has done this, but I say go for it. Since it's a roller reefer. If it fails, the worst case scenario is that your jib is going to be stuck deployed or stuck rolled or the jib will come off. None of those things are really disastrous even in a big bow because a jib is pretty easy to douse. For $130, it's not going to break the bank even if you can't get it working.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Word for the wise here if u buy these furlers u will have to have forestay shortened & then seized into the foresail so u will have that extra cost because to seize the forestay into the foresail u will have to take it to a sail loft u will no longer use hank on's the sail stays permantly seized to the foresail
I had tha small Harken unit on a 17ft Siren it came as original equipment & it worked great never had any issues with it I'm even considering adding them to my storm sails

J 8)