Vent Plug

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
raycarlson
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Vent Plug

Post by raycarlson »

There's no tube of any kind on an M, just the little plug in hole,with a large funnel like splash shield surrounding the hole so water doesn't run onto stored items in that compartment. I cut the funnel off and fiberglassed a simple 3/4" pvc fitting in the hole and ran the hose to the anchor locker drain hose, much more storage room in the compartmentnow with out the funnel structure,and one less thing to think about when launching those ten minute launches we all do. 8) it's all automatic now.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I've read about that mod. It's just that from reading Dave's post, I was wondering if the newer :macm: may have that improvement. A photo would be nice to see :wink:

Ray
bscott
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Arvada, Colorado 2001 X, M rotating mast, E-tec 60 with Power Thruster, "HUFF n Puff"

Post by bscott »

raycarlson wrote:There's no tube of any kind on an M, just the little plug in hole,with a large funnel like splash shield surrounding the hole so water doesn't run onto stored items in that compartment. I cut the funnel off and fiberglassed a simple 3/4" pvc fitting in the hole and ran the hose to the anchor locker drain hose, much more storage room in the compartmentnow with out the funnel structure,and one less thing to think about when launching those ten minute launches we all do. 8) it's all automatic now.
How can you tell if the ballast tank is full?

Bob
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

If my understanding is correct, as long as the original vent opening is below the outside water level, and the stern valve is open, then the tank is full. At least that's how I think the physics works :?:

Ray
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

When the vent tube stops blowing air, the ballast tank is full. The weight of the boat empty is sufficient to fill the tank so as long as the gate valve is open, the tank will fill completely. The only question is how long to. Leave the gate open. Five minutes is more than enough. You could put a whistle on the tube end, and when stops, the tank is done.
Azzarac
First Officer
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Post by Azzarac »

Our :macx:'s vent has been heavily modified. To start we have dual gate valves on the stern:

We also have the original vent plumbed into the cockpit so I can hear when the air stops gushing out of the tank. There is a dipstick tube on the original vent location just in case you don't trust the lack of air when it stops purging onto your leg LOL!

Just in case your in a really big hurry or want to get the very last bit of air from the tank you can go forward into the V-berth and open a front valve to assist in filling the ballast tank:

This vents to a covered thruhull in the front bow, which the site says I can't post a picture of due to the 3 image max... :(

OK, maybe it was a little overkill but it does make for a nice fast fill and dump of the ballast tank.
raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson »

Sorry I use a very very high tech and expensive piece of equipment to ensure total ballast fill. While sitting in helm seat I arch my back a little and lean back while turning head sideways looking down and see if the water has stopped flowing into valve,same as I do to check if all water has stopped flowing out when draining tank,except I have to do this while moving so it is slightly more complex but has worked every time sofar.
bscott
Admiral
Location: Arvada, Colorado 2001 X, M rotating mast, E-tec 60 with Power Thruster, "HUFF n Puff"

Post by bscott »

My high tech method trumps yours--When I first board the boat I open the dump valve and close it before I leave the dock. No need to wet my finger or turn my head or listen for a whistle :D

Bob
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

bscott wrote:My high tech method trumps yours--When I first board the boat I open the dump valve and close it before I leave the dock. No need to wet my finger or turn my head or listen for a whistle :D

Bob
I'm too fast for that to work :D
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

mastreb wrote:
bscott wrote:My high tech method trumps yours--When I first board the boat I open the dump valve and close it before I leave the dock. No need to wet my finger or turn my head or listen for a whistle :D

Bob
I understand they have medication for that :D :D :D
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

word of caution with those pills though...YT4RMV :D

Correct usage :?: :wink:
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

CYD if you remain on plane for more than 4 hours

:D :D :D
bscott
Admiral

Post by bscott »

RobertB wrote:
mastreb wrote:

Bob
I'm too old to do anything prematurely.

Bob
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

Tube I was refering to is the PVC tube or other material that surrounds the opening to prevent over spill.
Later models X's and M have them in Vberth.
I perfer the early X were venting is done under companionway hatch and send crew member forward before closing off the 3 inch valve, burping last air out of tank. We have already 125 lbs of weight just in 2 batteries under Vberth plus storage of anchors and other stuff keeps bow down when filling ballest.
Dave
NiceAft wrote:Dave said:
The M has a tube at bow, should fill to max
What tube are you referring to :?: I have an 05 :macm: , and the vent hole is indeed in the "V" berth area, but what tube are you reffering to :?: Do more recent :macm: 's have this tube :?:

By the way, which does boterjen have,an :macx: or an :macm: :?: I'm just wondering.

Ray
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

I think I'm going to do a simpler mod, and just use a compression fitting with a 1" vinyl hose from the v-berth vent run back along the bilge to the stern and come out the cable raceway where the engine controls exit the transom, and put another plug on the end of the tube. Then I've got all the ballast tank controls in the same place.

Call me lazy.