MacG cease product'n in CA. 2 new boats to be made in FL

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
CampCook
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

MacG cease product'n in CA. 2 new boats to be made in FL

Post by CampCook »

Report on Facebook says MacGregor is ending manufacture.
seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Re: Is it true?

Post by seahouse »

...Link or quote?

Insufficient data, but based on available outward signs to date, and the demonstrated history of reliability of the source, false. :wink:
Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Post by Paul S »

a google search of "macgregor sailboat end production" found nothing to support the rumor
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Got this from a FB friend.

Just got an email from Blue Water Yachts - after 45 years of manufacturing "Mac" boats, Roger and Mary Lou MacGregor are retiring! Roger is concentrating on limited production of the Mac70, his daughter will be offering a boat similar to the Mac26, however production will be done in Florida. BWY will honor all warranties and continue to support (and sell the new) Mac boats. BWY will also be offering MacGregor parts for all years and manufacturing many parts from original molds (centerboards, rudders, etc.) A new era!
So glad we decided to get our Mac26M this year!!!!
Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix »

That may explain why they borrowed the older Mac last year :idea:
The new 26 may be more sailboat like the "D" not like the "X" or "M".

Obelix
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

While I'd be sorry to see MacGregor go, or maybe just move to Florida (what's the new operation going to be called?), I'm glad to see BWY is going to continue to support the boats, and take a larger role in fact.

Sure would like to know what's in the pipeline. 8)

Assuming all this is true, of course. I guess it must be; they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true, after all. :|
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

[mod="kmclemore']I have a call in to Roger and have not yet heard back.
BWY confirms the facts in the stated email are accurate.[/mod]
Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Re: Is it true? (MG to cease product'n in CA, move Mac26 to FL)

Post by Crikey »

I bet the next model is called a 'G' (as in gee, I wish I had one of those!)
Ormonddude
First Officer

Post by Ormonddude »

Gentlemen I hate to mention it as I have no intention of selling at this point but I do believe our hull values just went up!
bwygirl
Engineer

Post by bwygirl »

A few weeks ago while visiting Roger and Mary Lou at the factory we were told of their plans to retire. We were stunned to say the least. Yes, this is true. I was asked not to go right out telling everyone because Roger wanted time to call his dealers personally to tell them. This has not been an easy decision for the MacGregors as they know many businesses and livelyhoods depend on them. It has been a GREAT run! We look forward to working with Paul and Laura Sharp as they build a new very similar product. We plan to be a dealer for them in the Northwest.

Roger has asked us, Blue Water Yachts, to continue fully supporting the parts business for all years of MacGregor boats. In conjunction with the factory, we have been selling parts already for the past 26 years, and now we will continue to honor Roger's request. We will have the molds for all the rudders, daggerboards, centerboards, and any other exclusive MacGregor parts. So no fear, you can keep your boats running! Roger has also told us that he plans to honor all warranities to the full extent.

We are going into the Seattle Boat Show January 25-Feb 3rd with 2 new MacGregor 26M boats available. If you know anyone who has been sitting on the fence, tell them to give me a call now! If any of you would like my full letter that I sent out yesterday to my owners only in an email, I would be happy to send it to you. I know there are hundreds out there that still do not know.

I am asking all our customers who have had their lives changed for the better by sailing a MacGregor boat, to send Roger and Mary Lou a Thank-You card and maybe a picture of you and your boat. I think they would really like that! I know that owning MacGregor sailboats changed my life for the better, and many of my friends and owners as well. I hope you can take a minute and do this.
Cheryl McChesney Owner, Blue Water Yachts
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: MacG to cease product'n in CA. New boat to be made in FL

Post by kmclemore »

! kmclemore:
Thanks for the clarification, Cheryl. Much appreciated. I wanted to make certain we got the facts straight and to quickly eliminate any rumors.

Cheers,
Kevin
FinallySailing
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S
Location: The Sunny South East of England between Suffolk and Essex

Post by FinallySailing »

Yes, thanks, Cheryl for this. I think it is an absolute great idea to send a photos of our boats to Mary Lou and Roger. They have certainly changed my life (and that of the whole family) ! I am kind of torn now between sadness and anticipation of what's going to be new.
Tom Root
Captain
Location: Annville, PA. s/v-Great White, MacX4787A202,'09 Suzuki DF-50

Post by Tom Root »

Good for Roger! We All should have the oppertunity to retire, I did! I am equally glad that his daughter will be picking up the ball, and carrying on the family buisiness!
kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore »

FinallySailing wrote: I am kind of torn now between sadness and anticipation of what's going to be new.
The 5 Stages of Loss and Grief

1. Denial and Isolation
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

;)
u12fly
First Officer

Post by u12fly »

We love our 26M, :) Think it was the best model built 8)(for us). Of course we totally customized it the way we wanted :wink: which was a strong factor in selecting the boat as a starting point :D

Can't wait to see "exactly" what Paul and Laura Sharp deliver in a few years :| Will it be more like the :macm: or :macx: somewhere in between or something all new? :P