tired of polishing the Coon stripes

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: tired of polishing the Coon stripes

Post by Herschel »

I, also, used Newglass2 on my whole boat and am very pleased. It looked brand new for several months, then slowly started to dull a little, but not bad. The rep at the company said it would need about two coats each year to keep the appearance good and prevent chalking. I think that looks about right. I plan to do the 2-coat touch up later this summer. The original 6-coat application stopped the chalking in its tracks. Very happy about that. Absolutely no sanding, polishing, or machinery involved. Just you, a bottle of stuff, and a little sponge/chamois, with which you develop a very tight relationship over several hours! 8)
seahouse
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse »

EZ wrote:When I put my hand on the cabin ceiling (underside of where the black stripe is on the deck) it is noticeably hot. I don't know what the thermal resistance is between this area or how much heat is getting transferred to the cabin. In the coarse of a day, I would imagine "white stripes" would make a noticeable difference in cabin temperature.
True EZ. The temp difference could be accounted for by the black vs white colour, but there are other variables that are coming into play at the same time.

Like the angle that the black stripes are at (mostly sideways, maybe toward the sun, so hotter) is different than the angle of the (mostly upward facing, so cooler) white surfaces. So the angle of the sun (therefore the time of day, direction the boat is facing = wind direction, etc etc etc) and a lot of other factors make its significance difficult to accurately quantify.

I would not think though, that there would be NO difference if the stripes were white instead, but that that difference might not be as significant as it might appear to be, considering all the other dominant (ventilation, convection within the liner, the presence of the "real" windows, radiation from the surface, wind speed etc) factors.

- B. :wink:
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

Don't really know how much heat is transferred inside by the black sections but these boats are very hot when in the sun, on a 32c day the inside temp is well over 40c, have multimeter with temp on it so will take it with me this year and see just for interest but the difference between the white and black on the surface is almost unbelievable.
seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse »

Oh yeah - your bare feet will burn in less than a second on them. :cry:
raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson »

In another thread on removing the sunroof looking windows I posted interior-exterior temps of the black stripes, On a noon time summer day in southern az the exterior black temps were 155-156 degrees white gelcoat immediately adjacent were running 121-122ish.inside the boat the inner shell temps which were 1/2 to 3/4 inches gappage from outter deck skin the area's directly beneath the coon stripes were from 125-130 degrees while area's under the white ran pretty much ambient air temp of 105-106 degrees.Just spent the weekend on the lake in phoenix Monday temps were 111 degrees and boat26m was noticeably cooler inside with no more sunroof windows and no more black deck coon stripes, however boat is looking more like an m25 then an 26m.
seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse »

There you have it. Thanks Ray.
:wink:
seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse »

...Although I think it's more than a coincidence that the lines of thought on the cabin heating topic (PA, ON) vs. (CA, AZ, FL, OZ) also align with geographic (latitude and insolation differences) location.

-B. :wink:
EZ
Engineer

Post by EZ »

seahouse wrote:...Although I think it's more than a coincidence that the lines of thought on the cabin heating topic (PA, ON) vs. (CA, AZ, FL, OZ) also align with geographic (latitude and insolation differences) location.

-B. :wink:
No argument here.

Ray, thanks for the info. Any chance you could post a picture of your boat? I am curious to see how it looks.
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

Ray, thanks for the info. Any chance you could post a picture of your boat? I am curious to see how it looks.
Yeah me too.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I decided to go all in with Herschel. I have two coats on and will add 2-4 more then see what the results. The hull still looks great with a deep shine. However, the PO only let the topsides chalk. It appears to me if you keep the gel coat sealed from the start the gloss can be preserved. Once it is allowed to chalk no amount of buffing will bring it back. I will keep you posted about the results with New Finish. Certainly easy to apply and buff to a shine.
raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson »

Would be happy to post some pics, but have never figured out how to do it onto this forum. But do know how to attach them to an email or text them on my phone easily.if ur not concerned im an Ethiopian hacker you private message me an email or phone# an I can send you some pics and maybe you could post them on this forum for me...
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

It is harder here for me too, the easiest way I have found is to just put them on photobucket and put the image link up, normally on most forums you just browse and save from file.
As for the black not polishing once it has chalked I found it came up great once a light cutting paste and polish was used but it doesn't take long to deteriorate in our summer or even northern winters here if not undercover.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

raycarlson wrote:Would be happy to post some pics, but have never figured out how to do it onto this forum.
For posting without setting up an account anywhere, go to http://www.tinypic.com and upload them by answering the security question (or whatever it asks). Copy and paste the url with the ubb code at each end (Image - second link of the four it will return). Paste it directly into your post, on its own line. Hit 'Preview' and see what it looks like. It'll be smallish, and when you click on it, a full sized image will appear.

To see what a post looks like before it's posted, click the "Quote button on this post and you'll see the tinypic link with ubb code at each end.

raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson »

yeah right tom foolery. I clicked on your picture (I should've known better) and got nothing like you stated. was bombarded for five minutes with pop-ups saying I won a free prize, and as fast as I could delete them they kept popping back up. I would never go to another site you reccomendm that's for sure..
raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson »

yeah right tom foolery. I clicked on your picture (I should've known better) and got nothing like you stated. was bombarded for five minutes with pop-ups saying I won a free prize, and as fast as I could delete them they kept popping back up. I would never go to another site you reccomendm that's for sure..