Adding a 12V light in head

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
1-Tntimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Adding a 12V light in head

Post by 1-Tntimbo »

I found a 12V ceiling light from a 26X on eBay and was able to get it.

I would like to mount it on the ceiling in the head. Has anyone done this? I am curious if there is any wiring in the ceiling in the head area I might tap into for 12V power before I start cutting and drilling holes in the ceiling.
T
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Adding a 12V light in head

Post by Russ »

Does the X have a light in the head? If so there should be wires already correct?

Macgregor simply used stock fixtures. I changed all my bulbs to LEDs.

In places without wires, I use cheap battery puck lights.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

C'est moi. :)
RussMT wrote:In places without wires, I use cheap battery puck lights.
Three Gypsies
First Officer

Post by Three Gypsies »

I put a light in our head .
There isn't any wiring anywhere nearby , so I had to run a wire from the circuit breaker panel , on the port side down to the battery box , under the floor , across the stern area , and up the corner between the hull and the wall .

Being just a light , you only need a lightweight wire , I used a cable , called 'Blue Hose' . Its a cable mainly used in computer applications . I eventually plan to extend this run and mount a light on the wall facing the dinette .
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

The factory did not install a light in the head in a 26x. There is one on the starboard side between the dinette and the v-berth and one on the port side between the galley and the jump seat. If you got one off eBay it would be one of these.

If you really want to mount one of these in the head it would not be hard to run a wire for it but it would be awfully bright in there. Those lights do a pretty good job of lighting up half of the cabin each.

I have a small, battery powered light mounted just inside the head. It's probably not more than a 5w incandescent running on a AA battery. It does a fine job lighting up that small area. I expect that any type of self-contained LED light mounted in there would work even better and use less power.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I too use a little LED puck light with the self-stick backing. It's more than enough, even though it seems dim when tested. In the middle of the night, it's too bright. :wink:
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

I put those pick lights all over. Where evere there's a fixed light and then some. That way we can leave the breaker off at night but still have a light if someone needs.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

My 2002X came with a factory light mounted in the head over the sink. Lucky I guess. I hate running wires behind the liner!!!!! But I also hate worrying about carrying spare batteries and prefer to have everything powered from the main panel. No reason for that other than I like it like that.
Azzarac
First Officer
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Post by Azzarac »

Guess I'll count myself lucky. I bought mine with a standard style light that can also be switched to a red light for night use already installed in the head. :D
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

I know this is an X, but the M comes with a big honkin fixture. Too bright in my opinion. See it on the left with new LED bulbs installed.

So I installed extra LED lighting. I've heard the comments about my sexy mood lighting in the aft berth, but this is actually functional.

--Russ