A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Neo
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Masts Swing control during raising and lowering

Post by Neo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi All,

So you set the length of your baby stays and raise (or lower) your mast .... If the stays are set tight it makes them hard to attach (when the mast is in position to raise up). If the stays are too slack the mast can swing dramatically from side-to-side ..... So here's something I've tested a few times now and it works well for me.....
Image Image

The photos above show how I use two special (Polyurethane) Bungee straps to apply tension to the baby stays. I would recommend this type of 40cm Strap because ...
# They are very strong
# They both stretch at the same linear rate
# They only stretch so far before stopping

The end result has the mast swing down to +/-10" (at the top).... which has got to be good news for the gin pole brackets and my heart rate :D

Let me know what you think?

All the best.
Neo
Last edited by Neo on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertB
Admiral

Re: Masts Swing control during raising and lowering

Post by RobertB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:31 am

I just lean against the baby stay under tension to keep the mas straight as I am winching.

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:05 pm

RobertB wrote:I just lean against the baby stay under tension to keep the mas straight as I am winching.
Yes you can do that but this far more stable for the moment the tension drops on the stays (or when the mast raises out of the cradle) .... The mast is always centers and any cross wind swing is quickly corrected .... But I guess you'd have to see it to appreciate it. 8)

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Neo - good solution. Thanks. I was considering re-working the stanchions to correct the geometry, but spring loading the baby stays would be way easier. Between you and Ponaldpe, I've got some good stuff to mull over.

DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:58 pm

Neo, I have used 1/8 inch braded line for Baby Stays past 8yrs.
Works great! You never want to use bungee cords for any type stays.
I can see you putting bungee cords inward to mast to reduce 105 jib sheet line fray.
Beating to windward , just better to leave baby stays alone. just another step to rig and take down.
I will say this... long beats close haul to windward and having the baby stays bungee to mast will reduce wear on jib sheet lines.
Dave

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Sorry Dave, I should of explained.
I've covered my steel wire Stays in Blue Polyurethane Tube .... There are only two Bungees in the photo, crossing over the Mast base.
Sorry for the confusion :?

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:47 pm

If you have the 150 Genoa go for it but if you want to crank in that 150 to inside track it's a no.
As stated best to use bungee cord to tuck in baby stays while beating to windward using inside track.
Remember, best pointing is always with the 105 jib on inside track over 6knots to windward. (that's 8.8-9.2 of apperent wind),that's 8.2 knots and should move macx at 5.2-5.6 knots no current.(beating to windward winds 40degrees off apparent @ 9KNOTS, speed 5.6 knots)
Above in past 8 years is what I have recorded.
Many times my GPS recorded well past 8 knots and a few times 8.8 knots.
I have always preferred to wing out the 105 jib with my adjustable gin pole than any type of spinnaker.
I will say most of our trips are cruising 5 knots, when it is under 2.5 knots we use motor.
Dave

Jimmyt wrote:Neo - good solution. Thanks. I was considering re-working the stanchions to correct the geometry, but spring loading the baby stays would be way easier. Between you and Ponaldpe, I've got some good stuff to mull over.

DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Neo, got it...late internet contact to Down Under.
Hope it works for you.
Dave

Neo wrote:Sorry Dave, I should of explained.
I've covered my steel wire Stays in Blue Polyurethane Tube .... There are only two Bungees in the photo, crossing over the Mast base.
Sorry for the confusion :?

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Dave,

You lost me. I was interested in raising and lowering mast control.

But, I do have a 150 Genoa. I haven't had a problem with the baby stays getting in my way, but I'm still a hack at sailing. I really enjoy it, in spite of the fact that I'm not that good at it.

Thanks for the performance tips, though.

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Jimmyt wrote:I'm still a hack at sailing. I really enjoy it, in spite of the fact that I'm not that good at it.
Me Too .... it's more fun like that :D

Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:21 pm

I usually crank the winch with one hand and hold the furler with the other keeping it in the middle. The baby stays are helpful, but I never completely rely on them to control the swing, keeping some forward pressure on the furler helps taming the mast. I have tried all methods and the MRS with the winch is the best. At first I used to dead lift it and then just push forward, while faster it was the most dangerous and I needed a helper to hold the mast while I wrestled to pin the furler. Then, I used the main sheet with the old MRS pole and I was able to do it alone as I could cleat the mainsheet if needed, locking the furler was easier. Then, I added the brake winch to the pole and got the baby stays and my only complaint is that I should have done it years before, connecting the furler is a breeze. When we trailer the boat, the MRS stays connected and then is left behind in the SUV, baby stays connected at all times.

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Sea Wind wrote:I usually crank the winch with one hand and hold the furler with the other keeping it in the middle.
Yes I did the same ... But the bungees are far, far more responsive and any swing is minimal.

Anyway ... just my 2 cents worth.

All the best.
Neo