I just bought my 1996 MacGregor 26x

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Geraghtyr
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

I just bought my 1996 MacGregor 26x

Post by Geraghtyr »

Hello fellow Mac lovers,

I've been trolling all the sailing blogs, yacht sales websites and craigslist for over a year and finally pulled the trigger.

I bought a 1996 MacGregor 26x :macx: from a nice guy in Gainesville Georgia. He was the original owner and the boat lived mostly in the Lake Lanier.
There is some hull wear and some cables/stays that need to be replaced. The motor runs strong and the trailer is in good shape so no complaints!

Now it is time to start the project(s) to get her back into "like new" shape then start some mods.

Here's my list:
1. Replace the Stays (some are patched wit u bolts)
2. Add shore power
3. Have hull redone (or DIY), scrapes and some blisters

I paid $6500 for it so I think it was a great deal.

Mostly plan to run it on Lake Wylie then take her down to the coast after everything is fixed.

I've seen some of the website recommended for replacement parts so I should be good.

My big question for you all here is:
Any recommendations for a good fiberglass guy in North Carolina or South Carolina?

Thinking I might have the whole bottom redone, painted etc.
Price was so good I've got some coins left over to get a nice repair done.

The mods will let me get my DIY on!
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Geraghtyr on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: I just bought my 1998 MacGregor 26x

Post by mastreb »

I would consider doing just temporary gear for shore power. On our boat, we use a Shore power to standard outlet adapter cable, an extension cord, a marine-grade power strip, and a battery charger with nothing permanently installed. It has worked perfectly well all these years and required zero work to get setup.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Sounds like you got quite the deal. :wink:

Before you balance your checkbook - WHERE is our pizza? :?
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

First of all, congrats!
Geraghtyr wrote:My big question for you all here is:
Any recommendations for a good fiberglass guy in North Carolina or South Carolina?
Fiberglassguy for what exactly? Do you have big holes or just need to paint the bottom? There is a big range of skills for both sides.

I agree with Matt, a heavy duty extension cord will work fine at first. Once you use the boat a bit you may decide to go more permanent. If you are planning on leaving the boat plugged into power at a marina all the time, yes, do it properly. However most of us can get by with basics.

For parts, Blue Water Yachts is an official Mac parts dealer. http://www.bwyachts.com/
They have an online parts selector that is a bit picky. Only seems to like Internet Explorer. Call 'em and they'll let you know what parts they can provide.

Get some education on boating. Don't go out there without knowing the laws and have basic skills. Also trailering skills are important. Know how to load, check bearings, cross chains..all the important stuff like checking the tongue for rust on the inside (some have had near catastrophic failures on this).

Supreme for me.

--Russ
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

As a fellow owner of a 1998 26X, let me welcome you aboard. If you are ever in the Orlando area, feel free to look me up. I have owned my Mac for almost 12 years. I do keep it at a slip in a marina near Orlando on the St. Johns River system, so we are both mainly freshwater sailors. My PO did install shore power, and I have enjoyed it especially when overnighting at marinas. He installed the 30 amp receptacle on the port side just forward of the cockpit. One outlet is on the aft end of the galley counter cabinet just above the small seat, and the second one is low on the aft dinette seat close to the starboard side. The placement of that one is a little hard to reach at times, but it does prevent snagging your foot on a cord getting in and out of the dinette seat. The outlet on the galley cabinet gets used much more often. I have the original rudders and aluminum rudder mounts. You do hear about folks changing those out for stainless steel mounts and the newer style rudder (mine stick straight up when fully retracted vs. the slanted ones on the newer boats), but mine have served me well. I did have some unfortunate experiences getting my bottom painted when I decided to homeport in a slip rather than trailer, so you are wise to proceed carefully. In fresh water our main concern is avoiding blistering and minimizing crud build up over time. I have spent about three weeks in a salt water environment (SW Florida ICW) and did not have any growth on the bottom despite not having active anti-fowling paint. I have found that for my purposes I prefer the working jib on a roller furling. Overall, it gives me serviceable sailing with minimum hassle with over heeling when winds pick up as they are apt to do on our lakes. But, I am 70 years old, and I enjoy my sailing a little more manageable than in my Hobie days! 8) And, at my age, keep the pizza "thin and crispy"; got to keep my weight down! :P
Geraghtyr
Just Enlisted

Re: I just bought my 1996 MacGregor 26x

Post by Geraghtyr »

UPDATE:
1st off I'll buy PIZZA, a beer or two and talk MacGregors anytime!
If you're in Lake Wylie, SC , just outside of Charlotte, NC, message me I'll buy. Luigi's Pizza! (my favorite)

I haven't done any sailing yet but I have been reading, studying, and practicing.
Who ever heard of PAN PAN before studying VHF Radios ;-)

NOTE: I have a boating history, lakes mostly. I was a lucky kid. Spent my entire childhood on the Finger Lakes in NY, took courses, sailed, fishing, skiing tubing all the fun stuff. Owned a 17ft fishing boat for years when the kids were little. Piloted a barge on the Erie canal for a week and fished on the great lakes. However, NO real coastal experience to speak of and I understand there is a lot to learn. Currents...Huh :?

My :macx: History so far:
1. Bought the boat. Found a very secure covered storage facility and parked. Sad to be out of the water but I'm trying to be smart and cautious. Basically I know... I don't know, what I don't know.
2. Started with the basics. Dried everything, aired it out and cleaned. Still need to vacuum out all the nooks and crannies in the storage areas. Found some junk and wasp nests but also got 2 extra propellers, the factory manuals, mac and engine, and two good lake fishing rods! Bought it from a nice guy that left a few goodies on board. There was a "Autohelm Sportpilot", quote "never worked that good", and a fish/depth finder. Has the mast raising system as well.
3. Cleaned the interior and inspected everything. Porta potty had to go! All the cushions in really good shape. Smeels good and looks good inside now.
4. Bought a fiber glass repair kit from amazon and started doing little projects, fixing gel coat cracks and a big crack in companion way door. YouTube has TONS of videos and I'm pretty comfortable with it now. Not going to work on the hull but the deck and interior are all me!
5. Bought the shore power Marinco Dockside 30A to 15A Adapter with GFI per recommendations (see above posts). Thanks!
6. Got a nice Powerhorse Portable Inverter Generator — 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts. I was going to get a Honda but the Powerhorse was on sale for $549 so why not try it. I can also get 2 for the price of 1 Honda's. Use it to run power tools, recharge batteries, etc.. so far it works great. My 1st teat was running an air compressor which it handled just fine!
7. Been working on my cleaning buffing and waxing skills to revive the oxidized fiberglass. Practiced on the galley table 1st now it shines like a mirror! Companion way door, cracks fixed and buffed and waxed. Working my way around as time permits.
8. Upgraded the interior lights to LED's. They have a remote, dimmer and even change colors, why not.
9. Got a Swage Tools and Aluminum Sleeve Clips. Going to build my own backstay then have it inspected by a pro prior to use. I think being able to repair rigging will be an extremely important skill to have. Going to keep spare cable and parts on the boat when cruising.
10. Got a Boat Us Membership with the MAXIMUM coverage for towing, trailering etc. and good Insurance coverage.
11. Got 2 portable water proof VHF radios.

Next Steps:
1. Finish maintenance/repairs and get hull fixed and painted. (Found a guy I trust in Lake Norman)
2. Make sure I get ALL the required and recommended safety and maintenance gear on the boat.
3. Get a Marine "safety check" from the local Sheriff's. They patrol the waters in Lake Wylie.
4. Get the boat to a Coastal Marina and have a few professionals and veterans look it over, Myrtle Beach Area.
5. Use it for a "boat condo" in Myrtle for a while. Rent a long term slip, spend weekends on the boat and start with some ICW motor cruising.
6. Eventually looking at the Long Bay area for some fair-weather sailing just outside the Little River Inlet. Anyone know these waters?

Thinking of:
1. Thetford 92360 Porta Potti 550E Curve Portable Toilet - Looks pretty good from reviews. With mounting pate :)
2. DeLorme InReach Explorer Two Way Satellite Communicator with Built in Navigation I like the features and can use it for hiking etc too.
3. Garmin GPSMAP® 640 All-In-One Marine & Automotive GPS. Use it in the car then on the boat.
4. Have two Ipads with SeaIQ. (Thinking of getting an Ipad Pro those things are huge!)

A lot left to do before I cruise the Carolina Coasts but I'm trying to be safe.
I truly appreciate all the advice and experience from everyone here and the time spent to post it!
I started reading posts a year before I bought the :macx: and have to say the group here was what made me go MAC!

Thanks!
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Congratulations! Sounds like you got a good deal and are already making good headway!
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Newest owner has to buy the pizza - I like extra cheese :)
Geraghtyr wrote:Hello fellow Mac lovers,

I've been trolling all the sailing blogs, yacht sales websites and craigslist for over a year and finally pulled the trigger.

I bought a 1996 MacGregor 26x :macx: from a nice guy in Gainesville Georgia. He was the original owner and the boat lived mostly in the Lake Lanier.
There is some hull wear and some cables/stays that need to be replaced. The motor runs strong and the trailer is in good shape so no complaints!
81venture
Captain

Post by 81venture »

Geraghtyr wrote:UPDATE:
1st off I'll buy PIZZA, a beer or two and talk MacGregors anytime!
If you're in Lake Wylie, SC , just outside of Charlotte, NC, message me I'll buy. Luigi's Pizza! (my favorite)
I live in Rolesville NC (wake/forest Raleigh area) If you are in the area stop by.

I also have a 1996 :macx: and this winter we are building a new Galley.

If you need any parts give me a holler, I have a lot of stuff, might can spare some. I also can repair rigging, and sails. (well, my tenant in the town house can, But I own the sail sewing machine though )

I also have a boat lift here, so if you want to hoist her and do your bottom we can do that too..

Cheers
Dave