Keys trip II

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Keys trip II

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Miss Adventure is loaded up for her second trip ( last one was 2013) to the Keys. The tentative plan is to put in, and store truck/trailer, at South Dade marina and head towards Bahia Honda for afew days, then work our way back to South Dade. It snowed some last night, as it did the last time we headed south. I really need to see some nice clear blue water and feel warm air. I'll try to post some pics and some commentary for my fellow Mac owners.

Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Re: Keys trip II

Post by Gazmn »

Hey Cus,

Come on down the water is fine 8)
It's been very nice the past few days. I extended through to the 13th of March. While I don't think I'll be able to catch up with you I wish you GodSpeed, a safe and enjoyable trip. With the nicer weather I've been diving rather than sailing. Wind was really down to 10, but I never felt it & seas were finally below 2'. So I went swimming. If you need an over priced, somewhat, but VERY nice place,for a day a week or a month, I can't say enough about Hawks Cay.
BTB, if you have BoatUs & you mention it, they'll apply a discount :wink:

I'm in Key West tonight, drove. Gettin' my Buffet on 8)
THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Hey Gaz, I'm in Cocoa beach tonight and will move to South Dade marina in the morning to rig the boat and launch.
Looks like the winds are coming back? Going to try for Bahia Honda by the weekend. If we duck into Hawks, I'll look you up.
bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound »

Love me some hawks cay .......
MikeV
Sailboat: I'm Shopping

Post by MikeV »

Aw gawd I'm jealous. Would love to be able to pull such a trip off.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Me too. Stayed there once, in the resort, when the boys were small. Still have the tee-shirt, in fact. :D
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

THE CUSCUS wrote:Hey Gaz, I'm in Cocoa beach tonight and will move to South Dade marina in the morning to rig the boat and launch.
Looks like the winds are coming back? Going to try for Bahia Honda by the weekend. If we duck into Hawks, I'll look you up.
I got fogged in while coming down & had to stop in Cocoa.
This S wind feels like it'll blow you right down to Key West :P
Be careful & enjoy. I'll be here will send PM with my # :)
tlgibson97
First Officer

Post by tlgibson97 »

We'll be heading down April 1-10. Going to launch in Key Largo and spends the week sailing and snorkeling our way down to Key West. I'll hop on a greyhound bus back to Key Largo for the truck. I don't think I'd have enough time to sail back for it. Now I wait and see if the weather is going to cooperate.

Does anyone have any recommendations to a place with a boat ramp in Key Largo that will allow me to store my truck and trailer for a week? Was thinking about Key Largo Harbor Marina but I still have to call them for details.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS »

I would put in, and store your rig at South Dade marina. Bob is very friendly and helpful. At 10 bucks a day, you won't find a better deal. From there, one day to Islamorada (Lorelei tiki bar), next day to Boot Key harbor, next to Bahia Honda, then to key west is a nice easy paced trip. You can linger a day in each spot. I suggest taking out at Oceanside marina on Stock island. And in KW stay at KW Bight marina, you will be in the heart of the action.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Arrived at South Dade at noon on Sunday, had the boat in water by 3. Finished provisioning and getting boat ready at 530 and headed out. Once we got out of the canal, winds were 20+ from the east, so we motored east in Manatee bay to anchor in the lee of the small islands there. Spent a breezy, noisy night on the hook. Monday morning the wind was only 15-20 from the SE now. The trip across Barnes sound was wet and rolly. Once in Jewfish creek it became much more civilized . Our goal was Islamorada and the Lorelei . We motored mostly, because of all the cuts and channels we had to go through, but put up a reefed main when we had open water. Anchored right out in front of the Lorelei about 4 and rowed in for dinner at dusk. We are trying to work our way to Bahia Honda , but these strong southerly winds are keeping us bayside, probably until Friday. The exposed part of Florida bay by channel 5 bridge was another treat to cross. We stuck close to land and decided to stop at Grassy Key for today(Tuesday). Maybe on to marathon tomorrow.
tlgibson97
First Officer

Post by tlgibson97 »

Thanks, I'll check out that marina.

Good luck on your sail. Looks like high winds through Friday.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Wednesday morning we left Grassy Key and headed towards Marathon. We were looking for fuel and a nice marina close to things, cause I figured we would be there afew days til this wind let up. Found fuel ok, but could not find a slip. With a full tank of fuel, I figured we could sail on a deep reach out to the seven mile bridge opening, then motor out under the bridge into the Gulf and using motor muscle our way windward the 2 1/2 miles to Boot Key harbor. The sailing went well. My little 9.9 did well getting us under the bridge and clear of the shallows so we could the turn windward towards the harbor. It was a slow, wet ride. Towing a hard dink wasn't helping either. 4 knots at full throttle, going those measly 2 1/2 seemed to take forever. Steady 20 knots with gusts near 30 and 6' waves. She wa dipping the bow a lot and occasionally a wave would hit us like a brick wall. We made it to the entrance, wind and waves were calmer, but had a 2 1/2 knot current against us while we motored into Boot Key harbor. The harbor was very full and didn't like the idea of not being able to put out full scope because of the closeness of other boats. Boot Key harbor is quite the anchoring spectacle. There are all kinds of derelict boats moored and anchored with who knows what, big boats rafted together, little boats in all the cracks and who knows who will swing and where. We found a temporary spot to drop the hook so I could call marinas for a slip. Found a slip at Burdines thankfully. We had a hard time pulling up the anchor. When finally broke loose we saw why. There was a 6' piece of large linked rusty chain wrapped around the anchor. When we pulled into the slip the dockhands were laughing at our funny looking anchor. After getting settled in the slip I called fellow forum member Gazmn, who has been on Duck Key since Feb, to see if he wanted to meet us for dinner. He did, and met us at Burdines tiki bar. We had good dinner and nice conversation. Too bad he is leaving this weekend, cause the forcast is for lesser winds next week, and we could have gone out sailing together. Maybe next time. It was nice meeting you Gegg, take care on your trip back.
Doug W
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Home MO - Galactica - 2010 26M with Etec 60

Post by Doug W »

I'm enjoying your log of your trip! PLease post pictures if you can!

I was wondering, what anchor or anchors do you use? How was the holding when you were in the lee of that island during your first night on the water?

Also, did you call ahead to South Dade Marina or just show up?

Thanks! Fair Winds!
Doug
sv Galactica
THE CUSCUS
First Officer

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Doug, my primary anchor is a 14lb delta, with 25' of 1/4" chain and 150' 3/8" 3 strand. We looked for a sandy spot to drop the anchor. Did not drag at all. I called South Dade marina back in January to make reservations, and he said call the week before you want to come down, which I did, and he said call the day before, which I did. He didn't remember me each time, but said there would be no problem with space. It's a real laid back place. Not any amenities , but the location is golden. And at $10 a day, it's a deal.
I haven't figured out how to get pictures on here from my phone or ipad. I'm posting a lot on Facebook, so send me a friend request with "Macgregor owner" in the note, and I will friend you. This offer goes to any other Mac owners also. My real name is Jim Van Lenten.
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

After getting settled in the slip I called fellow forum member Gazmn, who has been on Duck Key since Feb, to see if he wanted to meet us for dinner. He did, and met us at Burdines tiki bar. We had good dinner and nice conversation. Too bad he is leaving this weekend, cause the forcast is for lesser winds next week, and we could have gone out sailing together. Maybe next time. It was nice meeting you Gegg, take care on your trip back.
Jim it was great meeting you, & your brother Mark. It was nice cracking some cold ones with you at Burdine's :)
Man, that wind was blowin :P & it's amazing that it hasn't let up in Dayz :x I leave Monday... :cry: Unless...

While Hawks Cay is a comfy treasure, if you're coming down here in Feb - March, it seems that gulf side is more protected & you may actually get some sailing in. I've been pinned down for the best of 4 weeks :x But a sour puss is hard to keep cause the sun is shinning, my rum is chilled; I have water, electric & all the Spanish TV I can watch 8)