Hull identification and compatibility

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Ryan
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Hull identification and compatibility

Post by Ryan »

Can anyone identify this MacGregor hull; Macr1887m836? It also has a 78 above these numbers. I would like to know if I can use the keel from this boat on my 1985 mac 25? My boat lost its keel. I think the other boat is also a mac 25, maybe a different year? They look very similar. Any ideas ? Thanks guys. Ryan.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: Hull identification and compatibility

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Should be a 1983 Mac 25, hull number 1887. And the keel should work in your boat, but with all things MacGregor.........measure to be sure, as they sometimes used whatever parts were available.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

The "r" after the "MAC" probably shouldn't be there, as the manufacturer's code is three letters. The "M" near the end suggests it was certified before 1984, and the "83" confirms that. But there should be a letter on the end rather than a number. All consistent with what THE CUSCUS said, though I have nothing to add about compatibility between keels or CB's.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Tomfoolery wrote:The "r" after the "MAC" probably shouldn't be there, as the manufacturer's code is three letters. The "M" near the end suggests it was certified before 1984, and the "83" confirms that. But there should be a letter on the end rather than a number. All consistent with what THE CUSCUS said, though I have nothing to add about compatibility between keels or CB's.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm
The "r" is the model description, in this case Macgregor 25. Wadler's website is the best info that I have found on Macgregors.

http://wadler.org/boat-mac/hullid.php

~Rich
Ryan
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for the great info guys. Another question.... How can I measure the keel on the parts boat to make sure it will fit? I cant take it apart because it belongs to the guy selling it. I need to be sure it will work for my boat before I buy his boat. Any advice ? Ryan.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Measure from the pivot bolt to each end of the keel. May be hard to do on the trailer. May need to use a thin yardstick to get to the bolt, then mark a reference point and use a regular tape measure for the rest.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Yeah, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but the amount of information/expertise (and BOAT too) + camaraderie on this site beats any other site all hollow. :wink:
Ryan wrote:Thanks for the great info guys. Another question.... How can I measure the keel on the parts boat to make sure it will fit? I cant take it apart because it belongs to the guy selling it. I need to be sure it will work for my boat before I buy his boat. Any advice ? Ryan.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

Ryan wrote:Thanks for the great info guys. Another question.... How can I measure the keel on the parts boat to make sure it will fit? I cant take it apart because it belongs to the guy selling it. I need to be sure it will work for my boat before I buy his boat. Any advice ? Ryan.
For a two model year difference, you can try the Faith & Murphy system... Have Faith that it'll work but know that Murphy is a bitch!