The Great Loop support Network Area Coverage (NO DISCUSSION)

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

The Great Loop support Network Area Coverage (NO DISCUSSION)

Post by Catigale »

This thread solely provide contact info for those willing to provide assistance to Loopers

Format is area covered...all details to be worked out via PM or EM, not in thread

No discussion of looping please, separate thread

On edit ...the intent here is to document those willing to provide, loosely speaking, "ground support" for someone Looping. One example might be, for me, someone shows up in Waterford NY at the west terminus of the Erie Canal and I could car run them to supplies, West Marine, or help find a local Motor repair shop....YMMV

All logistics are responsibility of Captain, and of course, people take vacations and travel, so make arrangements in advance via PM, EM, or new thread.

On second edit.... You don't have to commit to the whole Loop of course....any part or itinerary qualifies!! :wink:
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: The Great Loop support Network..post area you can cover

Post by Catigale »

Catigale can assist loopers in the general area of BUF to NYC area, located ALB area
Obelix
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Obelix »

Obelix can assist Mac-loopers in the central Florida West-Coast (Hudson to Largo), located in Port Richey.
capthb26x

Post by capthb26x »

Catigale ... if you could tell me more about what
you are asking ... sailing experience ?? ... sailing
knowledge ?? ... help with fuel, parts ... not sure what
your asking ... :D

See edited first post above....I've added the concept..it's basically local ground support that is the vision here.
Jim Bunnell
First Officer
Location: Southfield, MI; Tohatsu TLDI 50, '03 26M hull # MACM 0019 C303

Post by Jim Bunnell »

Jim Bunnell can assist Mac-loopers in the South-east Michigan, North-west Ohio area, located in Northern Detroit suburbs.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I am in Hampton Roads near Mile 0 of the ICW.
Last edited by Seapup on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbarnes1965
Captain
Location: (BYC)Montreal, Qc Macgregor 26m-2007 "Miss Coco" - after my daughter, 50hp Honda

Post by robbarnes1965 »

I can assist in the Montreal/Ottawa/Kingston and 1000 Islands loop.
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

I can assist loopers in the San Diego / So Cal region 8)
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Hope you can teach navigation, since loopers encountered in your neighborhood would be seriously off course. :D
seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse »

I can help in the area from Buffalo (from Catigale’s most westerly point) west to Port Colborne and the Welland Canal, along the north (Canadian) shore of Lake Erie. (It’s a small range, I know, but we haven’t started into the longer-range cruising yet).

I should state that I’ve been through the Welland Canal once.I also believe that three people minimum are required on a boat for handling (some violent turbulence) at the locks (confirm that if you’re doing it), and you can hire someone if you need to. Or you can contact me, and if I’m available, I can have Deb shuttle me and I will accompany you through the canal (for free) :D !

(Hope that’s not TMI for the thread, Cat).
Last edited by seahouse on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Well, I can help with southern Lake Ontario and the Erie Canal, should someone choose to use the canal. I'm not sure what help I can provide, but I've stayed at all the marinas in the area, and know something about canal passage. FWIW.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

I'll cover the White Mountain Spur in NH (high water passage) :D
Johnacuda
Engineer

Post by Johnacuda »

Great thread! Happy to help anywhere along the Hudson. Based out of Kingston, Ny, (that's about 90 miles north of NYC, and 60 south of Albany.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Regarding the Welland Canal, I believe we'll not need to transit it if we take the Trent-Severn Canal a little further north. That route puts us into the Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. We've sampled that area out of Killarney once before, and we look forward to seeing more of it, including Perry Sound. Our canal lock experience consists of going through the Ballard Locks from Lake Washington to Puget Sound, going through the pair of locks at either end of the Dismal Swamp Canal, and passing through the Lower Monumental, Little Goose, and Lower Granite Dam locks on the Snake River (between Pasco WA and Lewiston ID). Those three locks are designed to handle large commercial barges going up and down the lower Snake, and they were very intimidating. One of these locks (I think it is Lower Granite) has a lift of over 100 feet, and may be the highest lock lift in the country. The current when the chamber fills easily exceeds 4 knots, and Sandy and I had our hands full fending off with boat hooks. I forgot to raise rudders and centerboard at the first lock. Big mistake, since with fins down, the boat really got squirrelly in the current. Sandy had to fire up the engine to keep us pointed parallel with the sides. We learned quickly, and did much better afterwards. On the trip down, the river was in flood, with all gates at the dams spilling, because of a heavy rainstorm upriver. It was a wild ride, with the current running at 11 knots with great standing waves, once we exited the lock channel. Very much like white water canoeing. Thanks to the big outboard, the boat handled things very well. Biggest danger was the woody debris (translate: trees and logs) which we had to dodge. Locks offer all kinds of challenges, and we look forward to learning from the experience of others.
Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale »

Mike..I copied your post over to your loop thread ...I'll let this thread gather more players and then edit out