Dutchman boom brake for an X

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Neo
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Dutchman boom brake for an X

Post by Neo »

Ok, I guess I'll have to test this out ....but I'll ask for everyones thoughts on this too....

One rope (tied to the port and starboard stanchions) spiraled (snaked) x number of times through the boombail .... Wouldn't that have the same effect? .... An greatly slow down the swing of the boom depending on the tension and the number turns around/through the boom bail.

All the best.
Neo
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

Just ordered my figure 8 climbing descender for $6.50 on fleabay. 8)

I had been looking at proper boom brakes for sometime, like the Wichard gybe easy, but just could not justify the $$$ for a pretzel of metal, thanks for posting this.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Hi Gents,

How are you getting on with the figure eight climbing descender as a Boom brake?

I have mine on the main-sheet boom bail and have tied the rope to the port and starboard stanchions bases, but I can't get to work properly on my boom....
The boom was swinging too quickly at first so I double wrapped the rope on each side of the larger Figure Eight hole .....
....but it still doesn't work well for me.
Getting the line tension right is difficult and I have to adjust it every time the main-sheet is adjusted.
The left/right rope tension also changes as the boom swing from port to starboard (and back).

How have you set up your figure eight climbing descender?

Many thanks.
Neo
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

I have only tested mine on the trailer not under sail yet. Seemed to work OK I attached mine just aft of my boom vang to one of my lazy jack saddles. I found that with tension on the rope through the figure 8 the boom was pretty much locked in place, to jibe it I had to easy off the tension quite a bit to get the boom to move. I am happy with this as I wanted it more as a preventer than a brake to slow jibing.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

kadet wrote:Seemed to work OK I attached mine just aft of my boom vang
Thanks Kadet. I had mine hanging off of the Main Sheet Boom Bail. I couldn't get the tension right there (because the boom moves on 4 directions) so I understand now why Boom Brakes are mostly setup closer to the Mast. But all this got me thinking and I've come up with another way that works well for me and costs $0!!!.

I used the stanchions bases either side of the mast and the Vang boom bail and simply wrapped (snaked) a rope through the boom bail 2 or 4 times (depending on the type if rope you use) through the boom bail. Then run the rope back to a cleat next to the winch.
It's doesn't need much tension (to be a Boom brake) and a more tension makes it a presenter (almost) too.
It's not perfect but I "can't knock it" for the money :D

kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

I had mine originally on the vang but in my driveway testing it got hung up a couple of times and interfered with the vang. I already had the saddle for the lazy jacks so worked well. Glad you found a easy solution for the right price 8)
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

kadet wrote:I had mine originally on the vang but in my driveway testing it got hung up a couple of times and interfered with the vang.
Yes I think the top shackle for the Vang needs to small'ish and smooth (well polished).
It's crazy but on my driveway test if I stood at the helm and swung the boom the mast would swing the opposite way and the boom bail brake (BBB) would put the brakes on!.... But when stood next to sail pushed it with two hands/arms the BBB would work every time :) .... Can't wait to test it out on the water 8)