The E-tec is dead a warning to other owners.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: The E-tec is dead a warning to other owners.

Post by yukonbob »

kadet wrote:
yukonbob wrote:Having over 500 hours on my 80 Yammy I don't think you'll be disappointed. My only two gripes with it (and they may have changed it already is the oil drain location and the pee hole arrangement. Oil is drain dead centre above the leg, and to clear the pee hole you have to remove the cowling. Other than that super happy and I'd gladly buy another Yammy or Suzuki nothing else.
Don't know about the pee hole but the oil drain is still dead centre and needs a special pan to collect it :wink:
Ya the oil drain is a pain. The pee hole if plugged, you have to renove the cowling and u clip two very small and hard to press clips to remove from the cowling then blow it out and replace. I hope they've changed it.
ris wrote:Honda BFP 60 $7400
Control and Throttle Box $250
Intall and hookup $500

Total $8,150
Hondas are also good motors but with Yammy and Suzi catering to charter and fleets most parts are interchangeable between power heads, where as Honda redesigned each PH on their ob so parts are not nearly as compatible. And with all three models the parts are almost twice the price but seem to last.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

BOAT wrote:Isnt the motor real heavy? How do you pick it up?
with a 12volt 3000# atv electric winch with a wired remote that I run off a 12v booster pack & bought new for $60. Can :wink: , check the pic,s I posted u can see it in them

J 8)
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

I would be VERY careful if buying new outboard online.

One mob was offering Hondas a prices too good to be true, like 1/2 normal retail but it was a scam, many people lost lots of money.

Seems the only way of payment was by direct deposit into their bank account which was from an internet based banking group, so be very careful, if the price seem too good to be true it probably is

I know of people that lost lots of $$$ to this scam and will probably not get their money back
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

sailboatmike wrote:I would be VERY careful if buying new outboard online.

One mob was offering Hondas a prices too good to be true, like 1/2 normal retail but it was a scam, many people lost lots of money.

Seems the only way of payment was by direct deposit into their bank account which was from an internet based banking group, so be very careful, if the price seem too good to be true it probably is

I know of people that lost lots of $$$ to this scam and will probably not get their money back
I dunno seems legit :P

https://www.suzukioutboardmotors.com.au/
silverfox441
Deckhand

Post by silverfox441 »

[quote="Highlander"]BOAT
I bought my used 1yr old Merc 75HP 4 stroke from I-Boats for 1/3 thrd of it,s original new price had it shipped to me for $300. Can. & installed it my self :)
brought new boat home

I have the same motor, an '07. I'm going on a four day trip this friday. What kind of speed do you get? Fuel consumption? I was hoping to get 10 knots at 3000 rpm. Wishful thinking?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

silverfox441 wrote:
Highlander wrote:BOAT
I bought my used 1yr old Merc 75HP 4 stroke from I-Boats for 1/3 thrd of it,s original new price had it shipped to me for $300. Can. & installed it my self :)
brought new boat home

I have the same motor, an '07. I'm going on a four day trip this friday. What kind of speed do you get? Fuel consumption? I was hoping to get 10 knots at 3000 rpm. Wishful thinking?
OK I have a 2007 Merc 75hp 4 stroke 1730cc big block fuel injected engine is ur,s " but I have an :macm: & u have an :macx: so we most likely have way diff propp,s flat hull verse,s round hull so u should b getting a way more better fuel mileage than I am , plus my boat is very heavily loaded thats the reason I can carry 4 head sails .
Anyway I would think u should b able to get 10knts @ 3000 rpm depending on what prop u have & how heavily u r loaded for ur 4 day trip with gear & people & fuel ? let us all know how u make out !

Cheers J 8)
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

When my etech bites it im going 20 HP Honda.
That said thanks for the warning about the batteries.
Ix
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

At the 20-25 HP power level in most brands you can buy new and install yourself, saving some dough.

Free shipping too, from most places.

Don't buy from anyone who can't take a credit card. That so basic, if you get scammed on a wire transfer, you probably need the life lesson. :|
bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound »

What is the deal with a "mains " charger ? Never heard of it ?
paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I »

bahama bound wrote:What is the deal with a "mains " charger ? Never heard of it ?
Its a battery charger that draws its power from an AC source.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Paul...gotta ask....first time you snarled your boat into a dock, did you say...

" 'Tis but a scratch..."