Anybody still sailing?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Re: Anybody still sailing?

Post by Bilgemaster »

sailboatmike wrote:Opening day at the club today, the season is upon us at long last

Only managed one winter sail as the weather has been shocking most weekends

Lets get this party started :D :P
So, Throw another Weißwurst on the barbie, and make some more videos about those marvelous little low-draw USB fans for less than a bit. Magic bits o' kit, they are.

First!
...at three.
eodjedi
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by eodjedi »

jstyers
Chief Steward

Post by jstyers »

Sailed yesterday on the Chesapeake near Annapolis, great day but unfortunately my marina is shutting down for the season. Winterized the boat today and moved to it's winter storage.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Its the beginning of my season ...

Ix
Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

No sailing for me. A wheel bearing gave out on the trailer about 20 miles out. I limped it home on three wheels.
Lucky it was close to home and that I had just put new tires on this season.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Dottie and I just got back from 15 days on Lake Powell. I finished my quest to sail (not motor) from one end of Lake Powell to the other. Ruth and I had made it from Page to Halls Crossing/Bull Frog and Dottie and I made the last 50 mile run from Halls Crossing/Bull Frog to Hite at the end of the lake where the Colorado River comes in.

We had a little bit of everything weather wise. A little rain, two higher wind periods with one going into the 40+ range, some high 40's at night to some low 80's in the day time. It was a great time on the water and ......

..... awesome scenery and some good sailing.

That is the trip with the Mac for this year. Next is Florida after Christmas and the 1st,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

jstyers wrote:Sailed yesterday on the Chesapeake near Annapolis, great day but unfortunately my marina is shutting down for the season. Winterized the boat today and moved to it's winter storage.
Sounds like you must be the fellow we met who swung by Leesylvania State Park just a while back to size it up. That Annapolis neck of the Bay has it's charms, sure, but that's surely gotta be a real think-twice-about-it trek yonder from Alexandria. Then again, it sounds like you kept her conveniently in the drink, so there's that.

Still, if you do decide on "Going down to South Park," be sure to tell the park staff that your M is 25 feet and some inches, since 25 foot's the semi-official limit for the lot. They'll almost surely let you slide. On the other hand, tell them it's a "26 footer," and they may not if they're having a bad hair day or something. Sorry I forgot to mention this when we met.

Feel free to PM me with a phone number if you have any questions.
Last edited by Bilgemaster on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Bilgemaster wrote:Still, if you do decide to head on down to south park, be sure to tell the park staff that your M is 25 feet and some inches, since 25 foot's the limit for the lot. They'll almost surely let you slide. Say it's a "26 footer" and they may not if they're having a bad day.
What does your registration say? In NY, the reg doesn't have decimal places, so mine says 25 ft. Important (sort of) because the Erie Canal lock and bridge pass has cost bands based on the length, and it goes up at 26 ft. :D :D
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

NiceAft wrote:There’s always next year :!: 8)

Greg, Greg, Greg. don’t be so down on yourself :!: I have fifteen years on you, and look forward to every day. Sept. 9 was number 68. I looked forward to 68 and one, then two, etc. etc. :D i’m Sure there are some Mac’rs out there in their 70’s, and sailing. Speak up people. Let’s help the young fella perk up :)

Ray
~~_/)~~
Ray
That makes u 5 days older than me :P so u r the old fart & I'm the young fart.
I just arrived in Vancouver from Scotland visiting my mother & family & now waiting on my connecting flight to Victoria so I'll be checking out the boat tomorrow & after 85 days this summer with out any rain this summer I'm not complaining :)
J 8)
jstyers
Chief Steward

Post by jstyers »

Bilgemaster wrote:
jstyers wrote:Sailed yesterday on the Chesapeake near Annapolis, great day but unfortunately my marina is shutting down for the season. Winterized the boat today and moved to it's winter storage.
Sounds like you must be the fellow we met who swung by Leesylvania State Park just a while back to size it up. That Annapolis neck of the Bay has it's charms, sure, but that's surely gotta be a real think-twice-about-it trek yonder from Alexandria. Then again, it sounds like you kept her conveniently in the drink, so there's that.

Still, if you do decide on "Going down to South Park," be sure to tell the park staff that your M is 25 feet and some inches, since 25 foot's the semi-official limit for the lot. They'll almost surely let you slide. On the other hand, tell them it's a "26 footer," and they may not if they're having a bad hair day or something. Sorry I forgot to mention this when we met.

Feel free to PM me with a phone number if you have any questions.
Yep, that was me. Unfortunately when I called the Park office they relayed that they are at capacity and have stopped taking names for the wait list for now. I'll check back with them in a month or so and see if anything has changed.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Post by Bilgemaster »

jstyers wrote:
Yep, that was me. Unfortunately when I called the Park office they relayed that they are at capacity and have stopped taking names for the wait list for now. I'll check back with them in a month or so and see if anything has changed.
We renew annually at the beginning of December (last year on the 2nd, if memory serves), so that's probably about when you particularly might want to reach out to them. Folks do opt out from time to time, and there must be more than a couple of "absentee renters" keeping their boats elsewhere for the most part, since one doesn't have to look hard to find several spots with no boat and consistently well-mown grass...a dead giveaway there's been no boat there for quite a bit. Any of them might suddenly decide their money's better spent elsewhere.

Since I gather you are used to keeping yours conveniently in the drink during the season, I should perhaps mention that Rob, a fellow Mac 26x owner, was kind enough to let me get a firsthand look-see at his boat, which he had had berthed just down Route 1 in Stafford at Aquia Bay Marina. This was when I had only just gotten my own X as a "light fixer-upper" (mostly just needing her electrics tended to), so it was very helpful indeed to see a working one in the flesh. If memory serves, he wasn't paying all that much more than I do at the park for a nice little berth during the season with on-trailer storage during winters. I'm not sure of the specifics as to any closure during winter, haul outs, ramps and so forth, but it seemed a nice enough little Marina, with glowing reviews. So, if you're spoiled by being able to just cast off and go, you might look into it. It's a little off the beaten path, but Stafford's still gotta be less of a trek than Annapolis.
ULLR
Deckhand

Post by ULLR »

Last weekend sailing for us in Northern BC....5 boat floatilla with a forecast for snow.
ULLR
Deckhand

Post by ULLR »

ULLR wrote:Last weekend sailing for us in Northern BC....5 boat floatilla with a forecast for snow.
Here's a pic from last years floatilla..

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zx8ugn.jpg
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

ULLR wrote:Here's a pic from last years floatilla.

Wow. That actually looks like a Christmas card. If that were me and the admiral, it would be, too. :wink:
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Photoshop yourselves in :P
Tomfoolery wrote:
ULLR wrote:Here's a pic from last years floatilla.

Wow. That actually looks like a Christmas card. If that were me and the admiral, it would be, too. :wink: