Outboard motor bracket

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Slaterstm
Sailboat: Venture 25

Outboard motor bracket

Post by Slaterstm »

Good day fellow Sailors,

After working on my McGregor 1979 Venture 25 last year, I put it in the water this June. What a great boat. Now that I've sailed her, I find a few more things I need to do. One is to replace, what I think is the original, outboard motor bracket. It stinks. There isn't a real way to lock it in position and it wants to drop completely down when going forward and the motor wants to lift right out of the water when in reverse. My motor is a 1988 2 stroke mercury. My question is, what would be a good bracket to purchase? Should I get a stiff mount or a mount that I can pull the motor out when I'm sailing? I like pulling it out when I'm sailing because there is less drag. There are a few to choose from. Any recommendations?
Orkia
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Outboard motor bracket

Post by Orkia »

I purchased the SeaLux Stainless Steel 2 Stroke Motor Mounting Bracket 10 HP on Amazon for about $60. I bought this for the value and it has held up well. I would recommend it for the buck. The only downside is it only has 2 positions, In the Water and Out of the Water. I would like to add a middle position and I plan to add a threaded rod to do this. Sometimes with the current the motor is set too far in the water and would perform better if a little higher.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

Garelick has some pretty nice ones. I saw this online

http://vaxxine.com/clsailboats/ubbthrea ... ed27b73a02
fritz3000g
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by fritz3000g »

Does anyone know if the original motor mount is supposed to include a spring, or if adding one can make raising the motor easier?
Jonair222
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by Jonair222 »

I have an oversize 15hp on a spring mount like pictured above
Maybe not as good as that one, mine is not great.
Anyways i took the time to liquid nail a nice bigass plastic HDPE board ON THE INSIDE of the hull, a backerboard of sorts.

My next iteration will be a JACKPLATE! So much easier to raise, also keeps powehead closer to hull stern structure when up reducing flex stress on hull.
Jonair222
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by Jonair222 »

oh btw my motor did the same thing, lifting in reverse, jumping when a swell came up behind and then dropped away.\

Look for a hitch pin thing at hardware store, drilled a hole in bracket so when motor is down, slide pin through both parts of bracket, now motor is locked in position=
also can be used to lock it in up position on my specific mount