1990 26S 3 questions please (Dingy, roller Furler, Assem spe

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
mikeh53
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

1990 26S 3 questions please (Dingy, roller Furler, Assem spe

Post by mikeh53 »

Hi group
I have 3 questions answered please, TIA!

As some may remember I purchased a 1990 26S last month, It has not been in the water yet... Indiana Licance Plate to arrive... (and Likly spring at this point)

questions

1) I have a small FG 14 foot Bass boat with a 60 Horse moter with power trim... easy to lift it almost completely out of the water.... the bass boat is really light and sits high in the water (planing hull?) could I use it as a dingy? And pull it with the sail boat under sail? Would it be to buch drag?
yea I know... Eaiser to pull sailboat with the bass boat but(Am a fisherman). Hope to Anchor the sailboat in nice cove at say? Kentucky Lake.... for use as our motel and base during spring spawn fishing... will sail in Great Lakes also but at the lake?

2). Wife and I are retired and want to set the boat up for cruising..... though I have never used one... we want a roller furler... I think with a new 150 Genoa? Not rich but want a good one... any recommendation on which to buy and where to get it at best price?

so far only mods done & $$ spent in last mo are

1). Replaced low sitting Porta potty with high sanipotty
2). New LED running lights
3). Anchor rollers for and aft (Not installed yet)
4). New deep cycle battery (may end up adding second? Thoughts?)
5). New 9.9 Tahatsu Extra long shaft with electric start and alternator (ordered in shipping)
With 2- 6 Gal tanks and high thrust prop.
6) 8 new bumpers
7). 2 new inflatable life jackets
9). New automatic Bilge Pump
10). new power inverter (not installed yet)
11). new anchor and road

3) The boat came with an Assemetrical Spenniker (we have never used one). Is it possible to use it with a roller furler on the forstay?

4). I have not tried to light it but... boat has original alcohol stove.... should I replace it.... wife wants easy!
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 1990 26S 3 questions please (Dingy, roller Furler, Assem

Post by sailboatmike »

Hi Mike

No reason why you cant pull you Bass boat under sail or power and the Mac makes a great caravan

I wouldnt recommend a genoa for newbies, the boat sails better under jib than genoa especially to windward, you can pick up a jib and a furler from Blue Water Yachts, Im not a huge fan of the CDI flexable furler that is used mainly on these boats, however its cheap, does a pretty good job and will not break like many of the more expensive rigid foil furlers, my real issue with the CDI furler it does hamper windward performance some, but as a cruiser it makes little difference a couple of degrees less pointing

The Asymmetric spinnaker has a loose luff, meaning it only attaches to the boat at the mast, standard furlers dont really work for spinnakers, normally people use top down furlers for spinnakers, a spinnaker snuffer or sleeve is a good option for dousing the spinnaker quickly, if your handy with a sewing machine you can build one yourself https://www.scribd.com/doc/26116334/DIY-spinnaker-sock this link will give you an idea

The Orego stoves are great, one of the safest spirit stoves around, a bit slow but work well, I personally wont have gas inside the boat

Im sure other may have opinions that differ, but thats my humble opinion of things
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Mike,

I’m having a hard time agreeing with “No reason why you cant pull you Bass boat under sail or power”.

On the surface, you are correct, but at what quality? Speed while sailing will be negligent pulling that bass boat and it’s motor. If you motor, again you would be hardly moving. I just don’t see either as quality boating. Gas consumption will be pitiful.

I once had to rescue a stranded boater who’s rented dingy had motor trouble. I towed him under power. I had to go rather slow to do it without placing too much strain on my cleats. A bass boat with a 60 is much heavier than an aluminum dinghy with a small two stroke. I just don’t think it’s a good idea.

Ray
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote:Mike,

I’m having a hard time agreeing with “No reason why you cant pull you Bass boat under sail or power”.

On the surface, you are correct, but at what quality? Speed while sailing will be negligent pulling that bass boat and it’s motor. If you motor, again you would be hardly moving. I just don’t see either as quality boating. Gas consumption will be pitiful.

I once had to rescue a stranded boater who’s rented dingy had motor trouble. I towed him under power. I had to go rather slow to do it without placing too much strain on my cleats. A bass boat with a 60 is much heavier than an aluminum dinghy with a small two stroke. I just don’t think it’s a good idea.

Ray
I am in the same boat here (so to speak). I have pulled a 10-ft fiberglass dinghy that weighs in at 250 lbs. (O'Day Sprite to be exact). I found that it towed well under power, if I adjusted the tow rope so it was on the leading slope of the first large wake. I honestly never tried to sail with it as the trip was a river transit. As long as the transit involved relatively calm water, all was well, but when I encountered open water with chop, there was significant splash into the hull of the dinghy, and it took in a fair amount of water adding to its weight. So, yes, I think you could tow the bass boat under power in calm waters with modest reduction in speed and efficiency, but sailing--iffy, and choppy waters--wouldn't try it.
Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner »

mikeh53 wrote:..... yea I know... Easier to pull sailboat with the bass boat ....
I don't think that is the case. Coming back from the Bahamas the rudder bracket broke on my S off Florida's east coast and ...

I got a tow in and ...

https://youtu.be/An8nVGO4bJM?t=3

... the boat was all over the place as you can see in the short YouTube above.

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%20Ba ... ge-33.html

Granted it would of been somewhat better if I would have been able to of had the rudder in the water and been able to use it, but still a sailboat doesn't tow to nice,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ponaldpe »

I have a 26M with 50hp Honda and a 14 foot jet boat , I have played around with towing the jet boat behind it the Mac, Sailing I lose about 1/2 to a MPH. Towing under power 5 MPH is not bad , going any faster and you really know you are dragging a boat behind you. Have not had it out in ruff waters, so I have no input . I have only done this as test rides no long term , just day sailing/ motoring. It is going to have an effect on sailing and on motoring slowing you down and make maneuvering different. I had fun playing with the two boats, I will say not to do it single handed the first time out. Less work and more fun with a helper. The only way you are going to find out if you will have fun, or be worth it for you is to get out their and try.

mikeh53

Post by mikeh53 »

Thanks everyone