Job x-fer to Orlando Airport

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Job x-fer to Orlando Airport

Post by Sumner » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 pm

ualpow wrote:...I was thinking about the east coast on the inter-coastal but how far would I have to motor to get to the ocean?...
We have our Endeavour on the West Coast (Charlotte Harbor) and for what we like to do I wouldn't want to be on the East Coast. Over there looking at the charts in most places you are either in on the ICW or out in the Atlantic. One of Ruth's daughters and her family just moved to Boca Raton. They live within walking distance of the ICW and looking at the charts and Active Captain I found a place that we could probably anchor within a mile of their house on a small lake on the ICW. The only problem is that you have to go up the ICW about 20 miles or down about 15 miles to get out with a sailboat and then you are in the Atlantic. There are other cuts that smaller powerboats use, but Active Captain and the charts do not recommend them for a sailboat. They are shallow with high currents and the channels are always changing. Once you get to the places you can get out you are then dealing with a lot of boat traffic some of it big.

On the west coast there is very little commercial traffic and bays like Tampa and Charlotte Harbor where you can sail inside if the weather makes it less comfortable to go out in the Gulf.

Given your situation I'd sure look at Tampa over Orlando if you could get it. I realize you travel at less than peak times of the day, but still going long distances with the unknown gas prices in the future and with the traffic down there on the uprise I'd sure try and get the work location nearer to the home sailing location,

Sum

===================================
Our MacGregor 26-S

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

ualpow
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Plainfield, Illinois. 2000 26X, 2002 Merc 30 EFI, 2010 Grand Caravan

Post by ualpow » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Went to Sail show yesterday and sat in on a seminar about cruising the Keys. I am totally psyched about getting down there. Also sat in on a basic celestial navigation one which didn't show me anything I didn't already know but was fun anyway.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Was there today. Very impressed with the Seaward 32rk (not so much the price, $170,000).

Gyroplanes and I are totally psyched about "midnight boat parts" for our Mac26X's before you leave. :P That'll teach ya!
ualpow wrote:Went to Sail show yesterday and sat in on a seminar about cruising the Keys. I am totally psyched about getting down there. Also sat in on a basic celestial navigation one which didn't show me anything I didn't already know but was fun anyway.

ualpow
Engineer

Post by ualpow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Heading to FL Thursday to just look around and visit the in-laws. I can't find much information on lnland lake sailing. Are any of the lakes worth a look for a home to sail from? Thinking about a home on a lake with a dock then trailer to Gulf or ICW when we have more time to explore.

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 pm

ualpow wrote:Heading to FL Thursday to just look around and visit the in-laws. I can't find much information on lnland lake sailing. Are any of the lakes worth a look for a home to sail from? Thinking about a home on a lake with a dock then trailer to Gulf or ICW when we have more time to explore.
Was told that Lake Harris up around Leesburg is a decent sailing lake and has decent amenities, but haven't been on it myself. Also, East Lake Toho in Kissimmee area is supposed to be a nice sailing lake, and we have forum members that have sailed it and have (or had) their boats docked there.

Some of the bigger lakes on the map are either choked with weeds, dirty, or shallow...have to really check into them.

ualpow
Engineer

Post by ualpow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:36 am

Sorry to revive an old thread but I finally made it to Florida! Just so happened that a spot opened up in Tampa and we moved down here in August of this year. We ended up in Land O Lakes where we could get the house we needed and good school for the kids. I sold my :macx: a few years ago and bought a 1986 Jaguar XJS to have something to play with. Now it's time to sell the Jag and look for a boat. Not sure if it will be another Mac because we need something with more room for the 5 of us.
Anyways I hope everyone here is doing well.

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:44 pm

I just moved from Florida east coast .... and miss it like crazy ... my suggestion is space coast area ...port st John Titusville Rockledge cocoa..... houses are cheap and you are on the Indian river banana river ....amazing fishing sailing on the icw and a cheap place to live without much crime or traffic and centrally located to Daytona Orlando Miami....just 4 hour trip to largo ....space coast is my pick

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Sorry ual....didnt read your last post ......but if looking for a bigger boat there's a few down there I've drooled at for a while that's still sitting on Miami Craigslist....theres a Gemini 3000 cat the guy will take 35k for and a beneteau oceanis 380 tri cabin for 45k...in Miami still ..... share owner??? ;) lol
Last edited by whgoffrn on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Theres a nice hobie 33 lift keel with trailer (big but no head room) down close to you for like 12k also I've seen on the market for a while

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 pm

ualpow wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread but I finally made it to Florida! Just so happened that a spot opened up in Tampa and we moved down here in August of this year. We ended up in Land O Lakes where we could get the house we needed and good school for the kids. I sold my :macx: a few years ago and bought a 1986 Jaguar XJS to have something to play with. Now it's time to sell the Jag and look for a boat. Not sure if it will be another Mac because we need something with more room for the 5 of us.
Just noticed this thread for the first time. I live in Orlando (near MCO by the way), and I do have a 26X on one of those "dreaded" inland lakes (Lake Monroe in Sanford), but have been enjoying my own brand of cruising for going on 15 years now. I love the lake and especially the cruising down river from Sanford. I have taken my Mac all the way to Jax and back. Yes, you have to get used to the milieu, tannic acid stained water, alligators, and a lot of fishermen and pontoon boats. but I have fallen in love with the river and the "old Florida" river culture. It is not for everyone, but his old sailor has found a home there. I keep my Mac, American Spirit, at Monroe Harbor Marina in Sanford, dock E, if you are ever around, give a holler.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Hontoon State Park marina is one of my favorite hangouts.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 am

ualpow wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread but I finally made it to Florida! Just so happened that a spot opened up in Tampa and we moved down here in August of this year. We ended up in Land O Lakes where we could get the house we needed and good school for the kids. I sold my :macx: a few years ago and bought a 1986 Jaguar XJS to have something to play with. Now it's time to sell the Jag and look for a boat. Not sure if it will be another Mac because we need something with more room for the 5 of us.
Been a few years. That was a rough one with the merger but you guys are doing much better now - making money again.

thanks for keeping me safe in the air all year for work. When people ask me how I get great service I tell them:

Greet your crew with "Good Morning" and eye contact

Dont tell them you have been flying all day. They've been flying all day and WORKING, too.

I tell the purser I can move if someone insists that the seat the reserved is 'their seat' even though it has UNITED on it, not their name.

I would love the chicken, but Im totally flexible if you run out.

I hang my own coat.